Dawson Garcia: Who have been the locker room leaders? Parker Fox and Isaiah Ihnen. (video)

What was actually said:

Who's been the key in the locker room? Who's kept you guys together -- and, who's been the leader?

Yeah I say two big positive factors for us have been Parker Fox and Isaiah Ihnen.

What Nadine said:

Who have been the locker room leaders? Parker Fox and Isaiah Ihnen.

:sneaky:

What was actually said:

Who's been the key in the locker room? Who's kept you guys together -- and, who's been the leader?

Yeah I say two big positive factors for us have been Parker Fox and Isaiah Ihnen.

What Nadine said:

Who have been the locker room leaders? Parker Fox and Isaiah Ihnen.

:sneaky:
So, if we're being literal, there were actually three questions asked, and technically, Garcia refused to answer any of them. Or you could say that, he was insinuating that the two players he mentioned qualified as the answer for all 3 questions asked. Or you could say that by not actually calling anybody the leader, he was insinuating that there is no one player on the team who is truly a leader. It's all in how one "chooses" to interpret the answer Garcia provided.

Last edited:

So, if we're being literal, there were actually three questions asked, and technically, Garcia refused to answer any of them. Or you could say that, he was insinuating that the two players he mentioned qualified as the answer for all 3 questions asked. Or you could say that not actually calling anybody the leader, he was insinuating that there is no one player on the team who is truly a leader. It's all in how one "chooses" to interpret the answer Garcia provided.
In the moment, it sounded like one question to me and I am certain it did to Garcia. I loved the answer! I thought he was going to say Cooper, but it is actually much better that the guys who were the glue are planning to return next year.

Two guys who have had two years of bad luck, yet keep encouraging others. That says a lot about their character. If I'm hiring manager, I'm looking for people like Fox and Ihnen in my company.
But, I'm not a hiring manager. I'm just a Gopher's basketball fan. As much as I hope Fox and Ihnen kick ass in life-cure cancer, win the lottery, etc...-I doubt either will be a top 5 contributor on a BIG .500 or better team. I do admire their efforts and motivation considering their mutiple injuries and the recovery process. If we only lose Battle, I don't see much floor time for Ihnen or Fox next season.

But, I'm not a hiring manager. I'm just a Gopher's basketball fan. As much as I hope Fox and Ihnen kick ass in life-cure cancer, win the lottery, etc...-I doubt either will be a top 5 contributor on a BIG .500 or better team. I do admire their efforts and motivation considering their mutiple injuries and the recovery process. If we only lose Battle, I don't see much floor time for Ihnen or Fox next season.
If they stay healthy, we'll find out next year. I'm looking forward to it. Both will play and give our core four freshmen the breathers that they will need. Add Cam Christie to the group and we have a team that will close to .500 in the B1G next season.
The future is bright...even if you can't see it yet.

If they stay healthy, we'll find out next year. I'm looking forward to it. Both will play and give our core four freshmen the breathers that they will need. Add Cam Christie to the group and we have a team that will close to .500 in the B1G next season.
Loving the optimism. Regardless of how they perform next season, it is good to hear and see them cheering their teammates on this season. I am trying to see Ihnen and Fox beating out Payne/Garcia/JOJ for Minutes. My guess is Payne/Garcia/JOJ eat up 100 of the 120 available minutes at the 3/4/5 next season. Actually I like those 5 guys to only play the 4 and 5. Hoping we get/have/find a stud to play the 3. Whether we call that a SF, wing, shooter, etc... Thinking Fox can only play the 4 or 5. So spelling Garcia and Payne. Ihnen can MAYBE play some 3. We'll see.

"If this, that, and the other all come together, we have a team that will be close to .500 in the B1G next season."

Maybe close to .500 equals "future is bright?"

Sheesh.

Two guys who have had two years of bad luck, yet keep encouraging others. That says a lot about their character. If I'm hiring manager, I'm looking for people like Fox and Ihnen in my company.
Ok, but if they aren’t able to show up for work, you aren’t getting anything done! 😬

Based on what? They both have had incredibly bad luck. Ihnen was a highly rated recruit when he signed and he was getting minutes early. He's had time to work on his game (ball-handling and shooting) and I for one can't wait to watch him play. He has the size to be a matchup nightmare.

Fox was a D2 all-american and best player in his conference (including defensive player of the year) after being a late bloomer. What have you seen to make the claim they won't get much floor time next year?

The funniest part for me is some of the posters on here who claim that one or both will transfer. You aren't busting your ass rehabbing your knee while being a team leader in the locker room (and on the bench) if you're planning on leaving.

You had a couple of decent posts and then you had to go in and insert this bit of garbage. You don't believe that. We know you don't believe that. You know that we know that you don't believe that.

If this team sniffs .500 in the Big 10, it will require everything you talked about and 2 guards/wings from the portal absolutely tearing it up (Peyton Willis caliber).

Team manager / grad assistant for fox. Maybe coaching is in his future…but not contributor at B10 level with glass knees

Loving the optimism. Regardless of how they perform next season, it is good to hear and see them cheering their teammates on this season. I am trying to see Ihnen and Fox beating out Payne/Garcia/JOJ for Minutes. My guess is Payne/Garcia/JOJ eat up 100 of the 120 available minutes at the 3/4/5 next season. Actually I like those 5 guys to only play the 4 and 5. Hoping we get/have/find a stud to play the 3. Whether we call that a SF, wing, shooter, etc... Thinking Fox can only play the 4 or 5. So spelling Garcia and Payne. Ihnen can MAYBE play some 3. We'll see.
Fox and Ihnen don't have to beat anyone out for minutes. They can be great complementary pieces that give us fantastic depth on the bench. Combine their leadership from the bench with leadership on the court and you get an even stronger bond.

"If this, that, and the other all come together, we have a team that will be close to .500 in the B1G next season."

Sheesh.
It does, because that core is only sophomores. Damn it must be miserable living in your mind.

Ok, but if they aren’t able to show up for work, you aren’t getting anything done! 😬
They show up for work everyday. They have had disabilities. You have something against that? 🤔

You had a couple of decent posts and then you had to go in and insert this bit of garbage. You don't believe that. We know you don't believe that. You know that we know that you don't believe that.

If this team sniffs .500 in the Big 10, it will require everything you talked about and 2 guards/wings from the portal absolutely tearing it up (Peyton Willis caliber).
I am sorry you're such a douchebag. I cannot help you with that. But, I believe we are much closer to .500 next season and I have no problem with believing it. Now, commence with your douchebaggery.

Sheesh.

Well, at least for this season, close to .500 in conference describes the majority of the league. 8 of 14 teams have in-conference winning percentages between .450 and .550.

Why am I not surprised that as soon as a couple Gophers get a nice shoutout from a teammate some people here feel the need to crap on them?

I didn't view the comments made as crapping on either player. I think it isn't unreasonable to pump the brakes on what either player might be able to provide on the court, when it will be 2.5 years after any meaningful action. But both will be given an opportunity to exceed those low expectations. We can all have our own viewpoints on what they might be able to provide. The far more toxic posts on this board are the character insults directed at other posters that came after.

Well, at least for this season, close to .500 in conference describes the majority of the league. 8 of 14 teams have in-conference winning percentages between .450 and .550.

Yeah, it seemed really bizarre and maybe a little unprecedented to have so many teams with very similar records? I think what we saw this year was a really mediocre conference. I don't have much hope that we will see many B1G teams in the second weekend of the NCAA tourney.

Yeah, it seemed really bizarre and maybe a little unprecedented to have so many teams with very similar records? I think what we saw this year was a really mediocre conference. I don't have much hope that we will see many B1G teams in the second weekend of the NCAA tourney.

That would be my initial thought too.

I am sorry you're such a douchebag. I cannot help you with that. But, I believe we are much closer to .500 next season and I have no problem with believing it. Now, commence with your douchebaggery.
I didn't blame you for my douchebaggery, no need to apologize. I also wouldn't look to you for help for anything, you're a joke.

All of that said, you do not believe we are close to being a .500 time by adding Cam Christie, you're pretending to believe that because you've been wrong about everything for a year and you feel dug in. Again, we all know you don't believe what you're pretending to believe.

It’s too bad for the injuries to Curry, Fox and Ihnen. All three of them have proven to be solid guys who really support their teammates.

Oh, what could have been.

I didn't view the comments made as crapping on either player. I think it isn't unreasonable to pump the brakes on what either player might be able to provide on the court, when it will be 2.5 years after any meaningful action. But both will be given an opportunity to exceed those low expectations. We can all have our own viewpoints on what they might be able to provide. The far more toxic posts on this board are the character insults directed at other posters that came after.
Can’t the honeymoon last at least 24 hours?

Fox and Ihnen don't have to beat anyone out for minutes. They can be great complementary pieces that give us fantastic depth on the bench. Combine their leadership from the bench with leadership on the court and you get an even stronger bond.
Nobody needs to beat Payne out for minutes. But someone needs to fill in for him the 15-20 minutes a game he is on the bench because of fouls.

Based on what? They both have had incredibly bad luck. Ihnen was a highly rated recruit when he signed and he was getting minutes early. He's had time to work on his game (ball-handling and shooting) and I for one can't wait to watch him play. He has the size to be a matchup nightmare.

Fox was a D2 all-american and best player in his conference (including defensive player of the year) after being a late bloomer. What have you seen to make the claim they won't get much floor time next year?

The funniest part for me is some of the posters on here who claim that one or both will transfer. You aren't busting your ass rehabbing your knee while being a team leader in the locker room (and on the bench) if you're planning on leaving.
Well, first of all, it's just an opinion. Here is what I am basing it on: #1. Eric Curry was maybe servicable/somewhat decent on a pretty bad Gophers team after his mutiple knee/leg injuries/surgeries. Recruiting forecasts/projections aren't perfect but most agree Curry was rated higher than Ihnen and/or Fox. Ihnen wasn't as clear because he was coming from overseas. Nothing in his healthy years showed me he would be as good as or better than Curry. I am hopeful that Ben is looking for players that are better than Eric Curry. Fox looked athletic in the videos I saw of him in D2. Plenty of stars in D2 and/or less than P6 conferences will not do well in the P6/BIG. Add to that 2 missed seasons with 2 injured knees/surgeries and call me pessimistic. I do believe they COULD be servicable, but I feel that the current players at the positions Ihnen and Fox will/would play are better than Ihnen and Fox. I will be surprised if Ihnen and Fox are part of the top 8-9 rotation. If they are I believe we will still be a weakling Wednesday team next season. Hope I'm wrong. If Ihnen and Fox are part of the top 8-9 rotation AND we are again historically bad, then I don't really care who the top 8-9 rotation is. It won't really matter at that point. Fox has something in common with Betts and Christie. None of them have played even 1 minute of D1 basketball.

Nobody needs to beat Payne out for minutes. But someone needs to fill in for him the 15-20 minutes a game he is on the bench because of fouls.
Or at the end of the game when the opponent goes to the Hack-a-Payne.

Top Bottom