Dawson Garcia named Big Ten Player of the Week

Congrats to DawG

My hot take after watching Christie the other night: He would have won Freshman of the Week if he would have played in the Bethune-Cookman game.

You're probably right. I was impressed with the Iowa freshman center/forward when I watched him in their first game though. Assuming he stays healthy, Christie should have plenty of chances to win that award. I wonder how long Johnson will keep bringing him off the bench. Payne clearly was one of our best players last season but he started only four games. So far Johnson's rotations have worked pretty well.

So far Johnson's rotations have worked pretty well.
You mean so far as in the 2 games against the 2 cupcake's? Bethune-Cookman #350 and UTSA #257. I'll judge his rotations after 5-10 more games. I don't like to make conclusions from such a small sample size and lame competition.

You're probably right. I was impressed with the Iowa freshman center/forward when I watched him in their first game though. Assuming he stays healthy, Christie should have plenty of chances to win that award. I wonder how long Johnson will keep bringing him off the bench. Payne clearly was one of our best players last season but he started only four games. So far Johnson's rotations have worked pretty well.
He was 3rd in minutes for the game.
Garcia 34
Hawkins 29
Christie 26
Ola-Joseph 23
Carrington 21
Mitchell 21
Ihnen 19
Fox 12
Need that 3 point threat, obviously. I’m guessing he will be right around the same minutes as Hawkins. He looked confident, gotta say that.

He was 3rd in minutes for the game.
Garcia 34
Hawkins 29
Christie 26
Ola-Joseph 23
Carrington 21
Mitchell 21
Ihnen 19
Fox 12
Need that 3 point threat, obviously. I’m guessing he will be right around the same minutes as Hawkins. He looked confident, gotta say that.
He belongs on a B1G roster. That says something.

There is nothing wrong with playing "cupcakes" early in the season, esp. in the rebuilding position MN finds themselves. Our strength of schedule navigating the gauntlet BTN schedule is enough! Although they are complete resume-wrecking trap games, lower competition is a good way to find rotations/combinations and ration minutes. When the schedules are made, MN doesn't always know what quality the opponent will present by game time, other than how they finished the year before and who they are anticipating bringing back. This year at least two P5 teams backed out of playing at MN (resume-wrecking for them!). Las Vegas got nixed with a strong field in favor of a group event in Mnpls. No Gavitt or ACC Challenge sadly. Doesn't make a lot of sense for good teams to willingly come to MN and potentially get beat. Thus, MN has to pay $$ lower D1 schools to come play potential trap games. Other than future pre-conference Invitational tournament events--Sanford, Maui, Atlantis, etc, its a problem. I remember LMU playing a 2 game series and nearly winning the second game. Corpus Christie was decent. Last year Western Mich. and Central Mich. games were closer than ideal. Anybody remember the Pillsbury Classic every year at the Barn?

There is nothing wrong with playing "cupcakes" early in the season, esp. in the rebuilding position MN finds themselves. Our strength of schedule navigating the gauntlet BTN schedule is enough! Although they are complete resume-wrecking trap games, lower competition is a good way to find rotations/combinations and ration minutes. When the schedules are made, MN doesn't always know what quality the opponent will present by game time, other than how they finished the year before and who they are anticipating bringing back. This year at least two P5 teams backed out of playing at MN (resume-wrecking for them!). Las Vegas got nixed with a strong field in favor of a group event in Mnpls. No Gavitt or ACC Challenge sadly. Doesn't make a lot of sense for good teams to willingly come to MN and potentially get beat. Thus, MN has to pay $$ lower D1 schools to come play potential trap games. Other than future pre-conference Invitational tournament events--Sanford, Maui, Atlantis, etc, its a problem. I remember LMU playing a 2 game series and nearly winning the second game. Corpus Christie was decent. Last year Western Mich. and Central Mich. games were closer than ideal. Anybody remember the Pillsbury Classic every year at the Barn?
You’re more charitable with the crappy schedule than I am. I also think you’re mixing eras of scheduling. You may be right that big teams would avoid us due to risk of a bad loss, but there are a lot of much better teams that would have gladly come to the Barn than we have this year. The fact is that we as season ticket holders are paying a steep price for a bad schedule and the Gophers chose to back out of a tournament that would have given them a couple of decent games.

I’d be interested to know what the stats are for teams that schedule crappy schedules to learn about themselves. My guess is not good. For years Penn State had gaudy records in bad schedules, only to collapse come conference games.

And yes, I remember the Pillsbury Classic well. Much better competition than now, that’s for sure.

You’re more charitable with the crappy schedule than I am. I also think you’re mixing eras of scheduling. You may be right that big teams would avoid us due to risk of a bad loss, but there are a lot of much better teams that would have gladly come to the Barn than we have this year. The fact is that we as season ticket holders are paying a steep price for a bad schedule and the Gophers chose to back out of a tournament that would have given them a couple of decent games.

I’d be interested to know what the stats are for teams that schedule crappy schedules to learn about themselves. My guess is not good. For years Penn State had gaudy records in bad schedules, only to collapse come conference games.

And yes, I remember the Pillsbury Classic well. Much better competition than now, that’s for sure.
Yea, I get the season ticket thing. With this current team, I think I would rather see them build on success early on than possibly getting trounced by established top P5 schools. We'll be facing them soon enough in Jan. Mizzou is a good measure on Thurs.

Top Bottom