David Mutaf commits!

Hopefully this post does not age well.
I hope he's the next coming of Manu Ginobili, but I'm not banking on it. From reading a few articles it sounds like he's presently a defensive liability. Nice stroke, but can't defend.
My first impression is he needs a year to get acclimated and become a well rounded player.

I hope he's the next coming of Manu Ginobili, but I'm not banking on it. From reading a few articles it sounds like he's presently a defensive liability. Nice stroke, but can't defend.
My first impression is he needs a year to get acclimated and become a well rounded player.

He's 17 and the book is not written. Redshirts are a thing of the past. Hope to see him suited up in 2020.

I'm confident by his grad transfer season he can be as useful as the last Turk Pitino was able to garner.

He's 17 and the book is not written. Redshirts are a thing of the past. Hope to see him suited up in 2020.
Completely agree. I know there are several on the board who are convinced redshirts are the end all be all, but you have to be completely convinced that the player will still be on your team in the fifth year for that to pay off.

This is a player who almost stayed in Turkey this season to play professionally. Is anyone betting that he'll still be in a Gopher uniform for the 2025-2026 season?

Play him now so he can provide whatever value he can.

Pitino needs players this season. He didn't recruit him to sit this year.

I'd take Gach if he's in. A lot more small ball but that should give us advantages. More of Johnson at the 5, then hopefully Curry and Omersa able to step in to bigger roles. Ihnen can really run the 4/5 too if needed. Get up and down the floor. Lots of dribble drives and 3s.
I wouldn’t plan on Curry or Omersa. Curry is to injury prone and Omersa - well lets just say he was a recruiting mistake.

I wouldn’t plan on Curry or Omersa. Curry is to injury prone and Omersa - well lets just say he was a recruiting mistake.
While omersa will probably never produce at a level we would like to see, i wouldn't say it was a mistake. He is a freak athlete and provides intangibles important to a team that do not show up in a box score.

Not a slam dunk he's going to be eligible right away either. I think I recall hassles with getting eligibility for several foreign players. Believe one was Amanda Zhoui B of the Gophers.

And, who the hell knows if travel restrictions or lockdowns will come into play?

While omersa will probably never produce at a level we would like to see, i wouldn't say it was a mistake. He is a freak athlete and provides intangibles important to a team that do not show up in a box score.
I think Jarvis woulda become a pretty good player with some more opportunity, I still think he's got the chance to do some things if things go his way minutes-wise the next 2 years.

Some people are unaware of those intangibles because instead of watching the games, they just check the boxscores in hopes of finding something to complain about.

Why can't Omersa be our Dennis "The Worm" Rodman? Rebound like crazy and play elite defense,

Why can't Omersa be our Dennis "The Worm" Rodman? Rebound like crazy and play elite defense,
Too many fouls and the gophers aren't talented enough or sufficiently well coached to play four on five on offense.

Some people are unaware of those intangibles because instead of watching the games, they just check the boxscores in hopes of finding something to complain about.
Omersa may at some point add those intangibles you’re referring to. Right now the only intangible he adds is to the team fouls total.

Omersa may at some point add those intangibles you’re referring to. Right now the only intangible he adds is to the team fouls total.
Fouls are a tangible statistic. I was referring to him as a team guy who wears his enthusiasm for his team and program for all to see.

Top Bottom