David Mutaf commits!

The most comprehensive and up-to-date scouting report we have seen is from Eurospects.com. Here is what the site had to say about Mutaf after his performance at the most recent Kaunas Adidas Next Generation Tournament:

"David was bringing a lot of experience to the table from previous years at AdidasNGT and lead his team in scoring, rebounding, but also the whole tournament in 3 percentage getting an impressive – 43.9% (18/41). Lefty sharpshooter with a smooth release, able to use screens to his full advantage and get in the shooting pocket, quickly sets his feet and pulls off with a good-looking stroke. Lethal both from catch and shoot as well as off the dribble. At times had some questionable moments with his selection and unnecessarily leaned on his attempts but took a lot of responsibility delivering points from outside in crucial moments or late in the clock. Not enough aggressive in the lane, plays with success in transition, rapidly leading the way but half-court game still needs to improve, not confident in his less dominant hand, predictable, avoids finishing with it around the rim. Doesn’t draw many fouls, only showed up twice at the charity stripe. Good rebounder for his size, presented good feel cutting through passing lanes and starting breaks that way but sluggish in rotation and gives up his position too easy 1 on 1."

Tamer Turkman of Study in America, advises Turkish players and students, and is also advising Mutaf. He also gives a glowing recommendation of the the guard's abilities on the floor.

"He plays the two/three. He's a wing player. He's the best wing player for his age in Turkey. He's clearly one of the best three in Europe at his position, and at his age."

David Mutaf is a skilled combo guard prospect with good size for the position. Although the Turkish prospect is just an average athlete, he makes up for it with his blend of feel for the game, IQ and skillset. The lefty can score from all three levels, capable of making shots off the catch and bounce from three and is effective scoring and playmaking out of the pick and roll. Mutaf has a high floor and projects as a Power 5 started thanks to his blend of size for the position, feel, IQ and his ability to impact the game on the offensive end in a variety of ways.

With Oturu gone we were obviously going to need to be more of a perimeter based scoring team. With Carr, Mash, Gabe, Tre, Mutaf and also an improved Ihnen we should be able to do that.

Great looking show, slow looking feet - let’s see if he gets playing time

Maybe we can't be choosy ... but I wonder with Robbins not a slam dunk to get a waiver, if they'll still try to recruit a grad transfer big man? Obviously one isn't going to commit here until it is known if Robbins will be denied.

Or do you take Gach, regardless, if he's in?

I'd take Gach if he's in. A lot more small ball but that should give us advantages. More of Johnson at the 5, then hopefully Curry and Omersa able to step in to bigger roles. Ihnen can really run the 4/5 too if needed. Get up and down the floor. Lots of dribble drives and 3s.

Maybe we can't be choosy ... but I wonder with Robbins not a slam dunk to get a waiver, if they'll still try to recruit a grad transfer big man? Obviously one isn't going to commit here until it is known if Robbins will be denied.

Or do you take Gach, regardless, if he's in?
I'd say the priority right now is Both Gach. I think they are also still recruiting Bo Hodges. I can't see them taking another big. I think they feel very confident about Robbins getting a waiver. If for some reason he doesn't you'd see more "small ball" lineup with Ihnen and Johnson playing the 4 and 5 a lot together and then mixing and matching with Omersa, Curry, and Freeman.

Fair enough. I just don't like Robbin's chances, but fingers crossed.

He (and a lot of others) were banking on what turned out to be false predictions, that the waiver change would be passed in May.

David is still 17 and I would expect year one to be about adjusting to our culture and brand of basketball not ready to pencil him in the rotation this season.

Should be the same as Ihnen, who legitimately was able to provide some help towards the latter part of last season.

Pitino hopes, anyway. Otherwise, just helping to set things up for the next coach.

Great news, I’m excited to see him play. Add in Gach or Hodges and that’s quite a haul for Richard given the circumstances.

Mutaf is 17. Excellent chance to grow and develop physically. Hopefully can be a nice 4 year player. Shouldn’t be asked to contribute too heavily right away.

Kid has a pretty looking three-ball and moves well for his size. Great get for Pitino this late into the Spring recruiting cycle - always nice to beat out Muss and Arkansas.

Also don't understand the Hurt comparisons... completely different players. If you haven't seen him play here is a quick 2 min video:

That def doesn’t describe Hurt lol
Watched the tape. Mustaf clearly has a better shot. He's actually less athletic than Hurt and about equally as bad on the dribble. Hurt is a better defender. It looks to me like Mustaf could use a redshirt season.

Awesome! So excited. Now if we could land Hodges or Bach and thats a solid offseason

clearly not as tall as hurt that is all a 2 minute edited tape tells...LOL....Stat package indicates a better shooter.. nothing particularly athletic about him or hurt...but basketball is more about skills than dunking abilities

Quick release on shot...much better than hurt
  • The second David gets across the court he looks for the ball with hands up and ready to show off that lefty shooting stroke. He had back to back threes and the ball comes off his hand beautifully. The first thought upon seeing David play is “pure shooter”.
  • Looks to be very comfortable using the dribble to his right into a pull-up or attacking a screen with either hand and pulling up to shoot. And his confidence as a shooter looks to be at a very high level.
  • A big part of getting space and being comfortable with a jumpshot is off ball activity. Multiple times David sprinted the arc with hands up ready to dig the front foot in on balance for the knock down.
  • Mutaf made three threes in the first quarter comfortably and each time the defense was scrambling to close-out but they were much too late. David looks to have the potential to be a high percentage three point shooter in the college game as he needs little space to catch and cash in.
  • David is very comfortable shooting on the move and his footwork in getting himself on balance just before the release is exceptional.
  • In my time of watching players for Gopher Illustrated, David is one of the best shooting prospects I have seen. He made 5 of 12 threes in this game and 11 of 20 shots overall. In the four game event David made 18 of 41 shots at the arc (44 percent) and half of his 68 attempts overall.

Watched the tape. Mustaf clearly has a better shot. He's actually less athletic than Hurt and about equally as bad on the dribble. Hurt is a better defender. It looks to me like Mustaf could use a redshirt season.
Check out 1:30, 2:00, and 2:25 Marks. You would never see hurt dribble like that. He is a better ball handler than hurt right now, no question about that.

Top Bottom