David A Thompson is no Gopher fan....

Reaction score
First of all the d-bag got his BS degree from North Dakota. Quote from the Tribune:
" State Senator David Thompson R-Lakeville, an outspoken critic of increased government spending and now a Republican candidate for governor, said that if a school can fund the project entirely with private money " more power to them "
But Thompson said the project ignored the overall question of increasing role of big time athletics-and their rising budgets at colleges across the country. The more important question is " whether we should be needing nearly 200 million athletics"
This from a clown who has had his head up Ziggy Wolfe's ass over the past 6 months pimping the Viking Stadium. Nothing like bringing politics in Dave. You really are a POS. Not to mention in 2012 trying to weaken the Unions through a bill amending Employer Constitutional Act ( right to work )

Money?

First of all the d-bag got his BS degree from North Dakota. Quote from the Tribune:
" State Senator David Thompson R-Lakeville, an outspoken critic of increased government spending and now a Republican candidate for governor, said that if a school can fund the project entirely with private money " more power to them "
But Thompson said the project ignored the overall question of increasing role of big time athletics-and their rising budgets at colleges across the country. The more important question is " whether we should be needing nearly 200 million athletics"
This from a clown who has had his head up Ziggy Wolfe's ass over the past 6 months pimping the Viking Stadium. Nothing like bringing politics in Dave. You really are a POS. Not to mention in 2012 trying to weaken the Unions through a bill amending Employer Constitutional Act ( right to work )

I thought this $200(M) was coming from private donors? What's this Thompson dink talking about? Sheesh!!!

My question is: Are these actually his beliefs or just a stand to garner more votes?

Same with the vast majority of politicians.

Thompson is a corporate Attourney for a Power company Utility. and ANIT everything

This guy seems like he hates everyone and everybody that does not go along wih everything he likes or shares his self righteous viewpoint.
A first class Neophyte that would make a lousy Governor.
If you have seen him interviewed on TV, or attended a comittee hearing at the legislature, Thompson
can be a first class jerk to people that disagree with him. He belittles people, cuts them off when talking and talks down to them from his ego driven rants.
I do not see what the people of Lakeville see in this guy.
He is anti everything, especially fun, Fireworks, gambling, and drinking, not a real Sports fan, and definately no Gopher fan.
I hope the Republians can come up with a better candidate than him, this guy is straight up TYRANT, total dictator type, a goof like Dayton that people will see through and not like. He is a bad candidate for Governor.

I hope the Republians can come up with a better candidate than him, this guy is straight up TYRANT, total dictator type, a goof like Dayton that people will see through and not like. He is a bad candidate for Governor.

So wait, he's a guy just like Dayton, a guy who was recently voted in as Governor? And this is a reason to say he would be a bad candidate for governor?

FWIW: Heard from a reliable source just yesterday that this dude is in the process of building a monster new home in a very affluent part of Maple Grove.

yeah dave is an attorney. he'll remind you if you forget.

notice the context. the article says (which means that he implied) "the overall question of increasing role of big time athletics-and their rising budgets at colleges across the country."

he is not referring to gopher sports in particular, but the corporatization of amateur sports and amateur players. i am not saying that i agree with him, just that you are being led by your emotions.

even without the context, he has a point. the U has perpetual budgetary issues, the poor are getting poorer, society's attention span is getting shorter and football is riddled with PEDs, prima donnas and sociopathy. grown men sniff the jocks of other grown men -- and brown nose billionaires. and we are talking about $190 million toward playground equipment (that will become second rate within a matter of a few years).

there was a time when college was about knowledge and the athletes were scholars. today, the ncaa has turned big time collegiate sports into money making machines on the backs and brains of exploited college athletes.

it's pretty clear that there needs to be reform in big time college athletics. there will come a day in which football is no longer played at minnesota, whether that is because the gophers will be left behind when the super-conferences are formed, or the sport itself is paralyzed by lawsuits, or the ncaa gets serious about reform and splits athletic departments off from schools and forms semi-pro clubs (or most likely, all of the above).

we can sit around and sulk whenever a local politician says something that hurts our feelings as gopher fans, or we can get real. gopher football is at best a fringe bowl team in a league that is either on it's way to semi-pro status or obsolescence. i love gopher football, but i've got to be real.

notice the context. the article says (which means that he implied) "the overall question of increasing role of big time athletics-and their rising budgets at colleges across the country."

he is not referring to gopher sports in particular, but the corporatization of amateur sports and amateur players. i am not saying that i agree with him, just that you are being led by your emotions.

even without the context, he has a point. the U has perpetual budgetary issues, the poor are getting poorer, society's attention span is getting shorter and football is riddled with PEDs, prima donnas and sociopathy. grown men sniff the jocks of other grown men -- and brown nose billionaires. and we are talking about $190 million toward playground equipment (that will become second rate within a matter of a few years).

there was a time when college was about knowledge and the athletes were scholars. today, the ncaa has turned big time collegiate sports into money making machines on the backs and brains of exploited college athletes.

it's pretty clear that there needs to be reform in big time college athletics. there will come a day in which football is no longer played at minnesota, whether that is because the gophers will be left behind when the super-conferences are formed, or the sport itself is paralyzed by lawsuits, or the ncaa gets serious about reform and splits athletic departments off from schools and forms semi-pro clubs (or most likely, all of the above).

we can sit around and sulk whenever a local politician says something that hurts our feelings as gopher fans, or we can get real. gopher football is at best a fringe bowl team in a league that is either on it's way to semi-pro status or obsolescence. i love gopher football, but i've got to be real.

No there won't.

The Gophers will not be left behind because they are the only D-1 college in the state. Millions of people will watch us. We are not as bad as other teams in the conference. We also have legendary status because of our national championships.

Unless you mean 2189 when everything is virtual and athletes are 300 lb couch potatoes playing with game controllers and a future kinect.

First of all the d-bag got his BS degree from North Dakota. QUOTE]
So what, he got his J.D. from the University of Minnesota. Why all of the North Dakota paranoia on this board?
When he went for his J.D. he had already got his pockets lined so he could afford the U. J.D. Getting a J.D. at North Dakota is equivalent to getting it from the University of Phoenix!

When was this? Somehow, I can't see Bronko Nagurski winning any scholastic achievement awards.

Didn't Bud Grant also fail to ever attend class? If I remember it correctly, I think Sid said he personally paid Grant to stay on the team.

Twas a different time, though.

The governors race comes down to Dayton vs. Jeff Johnson or Scott Honour.

So wait, he's a guy just like Dayton, a guy who was recently voted in as Governor? And this is a reason to say he would be a bad candidate for governor?

I wanted to say, let's not go there---but I can't help it. Dayton is a true, authentic dufus with very good handlers. I have spoken to him several times, and he is clearly "not there". Maybe it's good to have one that doesn't have a clear grasp on anything without being told what to say. Governor by committee.

He won by 8,000 votes, receiving 145,000 more votes than the other guy by killing it in just three counties--Hennepin, Ramsey, and St. Louis, receiving half of his votes in those counties. Dayton won only 27 of 87 counties, and received more than 10,000 votes in only six--SIX--counties in Minnesota. It just shows what a political machine can do. My voting days in Minnesota are over, so I guess I'll watch from afar.

Off my soapbox. Just don't like him. I haven't really liked any Gov we've had in my lifetime.

Back to football:

I always have believed that if the U gets private donations, they can spend it anyway they want. I don't care.

nothin new under the sun. same problems as they had in 1900.

"The more important question is whether we should be needing nearly 200 million for athletics."

Welcome to the conversation the rest of the country had in 1993, Senator.

He's a doofus, but I will defend him a little here. He was not speaking in opposition to Teague's plan, necessarily. Here's the full passage from the Strib article:

State Sen. David Thompson, R-Lakeville, an outspoken critic of increased government spending and now a candidate for governor, said that if the school can fund the project entirely with private money, “more power to them.” But Thompson said the project ignored the overall question of the increasing role, and cost, of athletics at colleges across the country.

The more important discussion, he said, is “whether we should be needing nearly $200 million for athletics.”

I don't understand how he can be considered an outspoken critic of increased government spending when he was very pro Vikings stadium subsidy?

I don't understand how he can be considered an outspoken critic of increased government spending when he was very pro Vikings stadium subsidy?

Subsidies are dandy if they go to Zygi, Beeg, or Duece. Or Galty.

He's against government spending when it applies to a public university...corporations can get all they want and more. I viewed his rant as just a subtle way of wanting to further chip away at public education.

He's against government spending when it applies to a public university...corporations can get all they want and more. I viewed his rant as just a subtle way of wanting to further chip away at public education.

Not sure how you got that. I read the quote again and just don't see it-- at all.

I remember Thompson when he appeared regularly on KSTP 1500. I'm not sure he had a regular stint, but he was always available to fill in. I never found him entertaining and he was too self righteous for my liking. He always seemed to try to bait Reusse when it came to the Gophers, liked he needed any help. I always got the impression that Reusse just tolerated him.

This guy seems like he hates everyone and everybody that does not go along wih everything he likes or shares his self righteous viewpoint.
A first class Neophyte that would make a lousy Governor.
If you have seen him interviewed on TV, or attended a comittee hearing at the legislature, Thompson
can be a first class jerk to people that disagree with him. He belittles people, cuts them off when talking and talks down to them from his ego driven rants.
I do not see what the people of Lakeville see in this guy.
He is anti everything, especially fun, Fireworks, gambling, and drinking, not a real Sports fan, and definately no Gopher fan.

Sounds a lot like the hated governor of Pennsylvania, Tom Corbett. Beware.

He won by 8,000 votes, receiving 145,000 more votes than the other guy by killing it in just three counties--Hennepin, Ramsey, and St. Louis, receiving half of his votes in those counties. Dayton won only 27 of 87 counties, and received more than 10,000 votes in only six--SIX--counties in Minnesota. It just shows what a political machine can do. My voting days in Minnesota are over, so I guess I'll watch from afar.

So, he got more than half of his votes in the most populous counties in the state - what's wrong with that? We don't have an electoral college system where you need to win the most counties, you need the most votes. He got them. Winning Hennepin County SHOULD count for a lot more than winning small counties in outstate Minnesota because it contains more people.

Yeah, what a jerk he was for going to UND! I mean after all he grew up in East Grand Forks like three miles from the UND campus and almost 300 miles from the U of M. I can't believe there's someone who'd possibly have the audacity to make that decision as an 18 year old.

Get a clue before you shoot your mouth off. I'm sure you'll be consistent and not vote for Dayton because he went to Yale.

I wanted to say, let's not go there---but I can't help it. Dayton is a true, authentic dufus with very good handlers. I have spoken to him several times, and he is clearly "not there". Maybe it's good to have one that doesn't have a clear grasp on anything without being told what to say. Governor by committee.

Off my soapbox. Just don't like him. I haven't really liked any Gov we've had in my lifetime.

Back to football:

I always have believed that if the U gets private donations, they can spend it anyway they want. I don't care.

I love your line of reasoning. He only won in 27 of 87 counties, including all the most populous ones. Pipestone county does not equate to Hennepin county in terms of winning the votes there. It's a popular vote, not an electoral college of counties. The statistics you quoted are foolishly misleading and misleading only to fools.

Top Bottom