Dave Telep: Ja'Quan Newton to Miami

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Telep tweeted Newton's off the board.

Go Gophers!!

Not surprised we didn't get this kid, just surprised he didn't take a singe official visit before he committed. I wonder what happened and I wonder if this is really a solid commit or is he still going to take some officials.

Kinda picked his top choice so he didn't miss out and then see if something better comes along.

Not surprised we didn't get this kid, just surprised he didn't take a singe official visit before he committed. I wonder what happened and I wonder if this is really a solid commit or is he still going to take some officials.

Kinda picked his top choice so he didn't miss out and then see if something better comes along.

This is pretty much how I feel. Almost makes you wonder if something dirty is going on, I mean it is Miami. Really, really shocked he committed before he even visited the school. Maybe he just likes warm weather.

This is pretty much how I feel. Almost makes you wonder if something dirty is going on, I mean it is Miami. Really, really shocked he committed before he even visited the school. Maybe he just likes warm weather.

After following Newton on Twitter during the NBA Finals, I know that he is a huge LeBron fan. He also posted photos with LeBron at LeBron's camp and indicated it was his favorite camp of them all. I don't think there is anything dirty involved, but I actually think it maybe had something to do with his commitment to Miami. Not the sole factor by any means, but it seemed to play a part.

I'm beginning to cool on him.

Almost makes you wonder if something dirty is going on, I mean it is Miami.

Presumably, had he signed with Minnesota, you wouldn't have had the same reservations. So why do you think that way about Miami? They are coming off regular season and conference tournament championships (first ACC school in almost 40 years not named UNC or Duke to do so), a #2 seed, and a Sweet Sixteen appearance, not to mention the fact that Larranaga is a highly respected coach with zero history of impropriety to my knowledge. A neutral observer would wonder why anyone would consider Minnesota over Miami.

Presumably, had he signed with Minnesota, you wouldn't have had the same reservations. So why do you think that way about Miami? They are coming off regular season and conference tournament championships (first ACC school in almost 40 years not named UNC or Duke to do so), a #2 seed, and a Sweet Sixteen appearance, not to mention the fact that Larranaga is a highly respected coach with zero history of impropriety to my knowledge. A neutral observer would wonder why anyone would consider Minnesota over Miami.

Plus Larranaga's offense just helped their talented point guard get drafted in the first round, a selling point I'm guessing was brought up often.

I never said I was surprised by his choice of Miami. I was surprised he committed to ANY school without ever stepping on campus. I only threw that bit in about Miami because of their well documented history of playing Football and Basketball players. This commit seemed to come out of no where.

Very surprising that this happened so soon. Miami is a pay to play type school, wouldn't be too surprised if something fishy was going on. But, any actual confirmation on the commitment?

Edit: Scratch that, he's committed.

The LeBron theory makes sense to me. So does the beautiful women theory. I've looked at Ja'Quan's twitter a few times and he's always tweeting about girls and wanting a girlfriend.

At least he committed in August and didn't jerk the local club around knowing full well they don't stand a chance of getting them.

Tyus Jones Anyone..

Yes, that was entirely the point he was trying to make. I don't think it was exactly cryptic.

Though I'd definitely argue that Tyus isn't jerking anyone around.

I never said I was surprised by his choice of Miami. I was surprised he committed to ANY school without ever stepping on campus. I only threw that bit in about Miami because of their well documented history of playing Football and Basketball players. This commit seemed to come out of no where.

+1 It's a fair question.

In college sports there are a handful of schools where it's fair to suspect something fishy going on in recruiting because, well, something fishy usually is going on in recruiting. Miami, USC, UConn, and wherever John Calipari is coaching are schools on that list. Larranaga may be a great guy but the culture of Miami and its boosters is long established.

Top Bottom