Dark Horse Coaching Candidate

Izatys98

Reaction score
Just one guy's opinion but I am hoping the search committee at least puts a feeler out to David Gibbs. They guy proved that playing defense at Minnesota is possible and it was a huge loss when he jumped from the Gophers to the NFL. He's had some strong college DC experience and given his time at Auburn, he has to know a thing or two about recruiting against the big boys. Maybe he could even get his dad to come in as the OC and reinstitute the running game... Thoughts?

His act reminds me too much of the guy who cleaned out his office today.

Boo! No Gibbs please. There is a reason he had to leave when he was DC. He perfected the two-man rush though.

I'd take Ted Roof over him, as far as former DCs go. I do have to wonder if Roof will get another chance after failing at Duke.

People think much bigger!

This is going to be like Mason was hired...except likely better.

Just listen to what the AD and Pres have said.

$ like what Tubby got...or better (just not $4M per year) is available.

It make ssense....the school gets $22M a year because of the football team. ( a little bit because of basketball). Plus suite revenue, plus parking, seat licenses, etc. I know they don't all end up in the coffers of the Athletic dept budget but the people at the U know why the parking revenue just jump (big time) the last 2 years.

GM

agree with gophermartin here. from what I heard at the press conference it sounds as though they are going throw as much money as they have at the biggest name they can get.

they may or may not get the name they want but the timeline this time around is much different. Maturi said they have money but they paid what the type of coach they could get when hiring Brewster.

depending out how the search goes and by appearances at least it seems as though they will try and hire a big name or at least a name that is recognizable.

Gibbs is a good coach and lends an air of authority and authenticity to what he does. Related well to college players. He got the opportunity to work in the NFL, which he wanted to do. That is the reason he left, and that is the reason why I don't see him wanting to get back into college football.

I can tell you from experience that he and Brewster are NOTHING alike. I am shocked that anyone could possibly confuse the two.

Is he even a TE coach? This will excite the base?

!

GH'ers - There's no room for error on this hire. Its got to be one of the best in the business. No HS State championship coach, no DII championship coach, but a proven BCS champion.

GH'ers - There's no room for error on this hire. Its got to be one of the best in the business. No HS State championship coach, no DII championship coach, but a proven BCS champion.

People are making this way to complicated. All the FCS or DII local guys who are great or Mike Grant are not the "Tubby Smith" hire that we sound like we are going after. C'mon people think a bigger.

Why not bring "hat on backwards" David Lockwood back instead? He jumped around on the sidelines with aplomb.

Gibbs is another guy who has basically been an NFL position coach. We've done that once before. Recently, I think.

I bet PA pumps Gibbs as a candidate this week. No thanks.

I'd take Ted Roof over him, as far as former DCs go. I do have to wonder if Roof will get another chance after failing at Duke.

He might end up getting fired from his current job. Auburn fans loathe him.

I definetly think we should take a close look at Mario Cristobal at FIU. I've been impressed by how well his team plays despite their talent limitations and how he coaches. With the way that FIU team has played this season, he probably will attract some attention when they finally turn it around.

Top Bottom