Darius Taylor - Minnesota

NIL will be the biggest concern for Gopher fans. If he maintains this level of performance all season then some upper echelon P5 program will make a run at him in the offseason.

I’d leave . Minnesota will never be elite and sometimes just plain embarrassing at times. Like tonight.

After Fleck runs Williams into the ground next week, who is left to run? Tyler three weeks ago so he is out.

Sean Tyler has to come through. He produced last season.

We saw here he's not high power style. Surely there is a way to use him.

Approving NIL was one of the Court's bad decisions. SCOTUS doesn't have to be liberal to make bad judgments. They should have thought of all the ramifications: bribery, terrible unfairness, big-name programs having a huge advantage, pro-style buying and selling of players. Combined with the transfer anytime mistake, it promotes anarchy - no loyalty to school, team, academic major, anything much. Just the dollar sign.

Approving NIL was one of the Court's bad decisions. SCOTUS doesn't have to be liberal to make bad judgments. They should have thought of all the ramifications: bribery, terrible unfairness, big-name programs having a huge advantage, pro-style buying and selling of players. Combined with the transfer anytime mistake, it promotes anarchy - no loyalty to school, team, academic major, anything much. Just the dollar sign.
No. SCOTUS should never take any of that into consideration. That's the job of Congress.

No. SCOTUS should never take any of that into consideration. That's the job of Congress.
Exactly. Right is right and wrong is wrong. If the NCAA doesn't have the right to govern something, you rule that way, regardless of whether or not some bad actors might try and take advantage of the new landscape.

I’d leave . Minnesota will never be elite and sometimes just plain embarrassing at times. Like tonight.
Me too. Especially considering the health of the backs before him with PJ's workload nonsense. Go someplace better, get paid, and then go to the NFL.

I mean, he'd be losing out on carrying 75 pound backpacks and being forced to waive goodbye to the women's volleyball team, all life changing experiences no doubt, but I'm sure he'll survive.

I'm officially worried he is going to leave.
If he does, then next man up.

Almost every starting back here as far back as Mason was an all big ten performer. I have news for everyone. It ain't the backs.

If there is a starting backfield position open at Minnesota, it is pretty attractive for good HS running back or portal guy. We run the ball here behind very good offensive lines and we give them the rock a ton.

They DID make the decision, not Congress. Also, Congress generally ducks most of the tough issues: Roe, gay marriage, prayer in schools, to name a few. The issue was filed in federal court and went to SCOTUS eventually.

Exactly. Right is right and wrong is wrong. If the NCAA doesn't have the right to govern something, you rule that way, regardless of whether or not some bad actors might try and take advantage of the new landscape.
But it's an opinion, not a right. The Court has a long history of breaking up self-government, usually on behalf of a disgruntled individual or an unhappy group that is far from a majority.

Correct. SCOTUS in general rules narrowly on issues. Ramifications about bad actors, how good a team is or might be had nothing to do with their ruling. The issue at hand was whether or not people can make money off their own name and image. That's all.

They DID make the decision, not Congress. Also, Congress generally ducks most of the tough issues: Roe, gay marriage, prayer in schools, to name a few. The issue was filed in federal court and went to SCOTUS eventually.
Congress did not duck those issues, they were decided on whether or not certain laws violated the Constitution. Congress could only weigh in by amending the Constitution (nearly impossible).

Other than issues of whether or not something violates the Constitution, Congress should decide what should be. SCOTUS should decide what the rules currently state.

Essentially the offseason, where they are discussing rules changes = Congress.
Booth Review = SCOTUS.

You can almost never write a law that is so thorough and all-encompassing such that for every possible situation that can every happen, it's clear-cut in the text of the law if it applies to that situation or not.

You very often need judges to decide if a law applies or not to a particular situation. That's the point of why we have judges.

They are as integral to the law as the text of the law itself.

Correct. SCOTUS in general rules narrowly on issues. Ramifications about bad actors, how good a team is or might be had nothing to do with their ruling. The issue at hand was whether or not people can make money off their own name and image. That's all.
Yes, that was the issue before the court. They answered affirmatively, amateur athletes should share in revenue they help create. The revenue is in the form of TV rights. That is where money to pay players should come from, not outside donors.

Taylor was deciding between Michigan and Minnesota, coming out of high school. He chose Minnesota.

I'm guessing it's a one year at Minnesota and then at the end of the season think about staying or another option. I am guessing that was the thinking from the start.

That probably was the argument to get him to come to Minnesota in the first place. "Hey, you will play here as a freshman. Then see if we can convince you to stay." Otherwise he would have gone to Michigan.

Let's say that Minnesota starts with an advantage to keep him. Is that edge enough for what surely will be options for next season.

Top Bottom