Darius is Out

Based on his instagram post it sounds like he’s out for the season. Crab is out too.

I’m going to look at this as an opportunity.

If this team gets better relying on Darious isn’t going to help and he can’t do it all.

Time for the other guys to improve their best.

Hopefully Evans can show what he can do. Looked great in the spring game! If Taylor is a for sure leave then time to see what this kid can do because we are going to need him.

My hope would be we’re saving him for the showdown with Michigan since we don’t need him today. Then again maybe it was his last game as a Gopher and he makes the big bucks playing for USC/Oregon next year (I suppose after one year transfer wait out)

Why risk your next contract though?
I was about to post something chastising this thread for its cynicism.

Claiming a college freshman who had 3 good games against 3 bad run defenses could/would/should/will shut it down for 2/3 of the season over a reportedly minor injury because his team started 2-2. Then ditching his team for money. I still have seen no credible evidence of this and it's probably not true.

But then I saw this line and it made me think.

We're in a different world with NIL.

I was about to post something chastising this thread for its cynicism.

Claiming a college freshman who had 3 good games against 3 bad run defenses was shutting it down for 2/3 of the season over a reportedly minor injury because his team started 2-2. Then ditching his team for money. I still have seen no credible evidence of this and it's probably not true.

But then I saw this line and it made me think.

We're in a different world with NIL.
Honestly, I wouldn't have this attitude if it weren't for PJ's comment.

Get that PFF grade, then get that bag!!! I would say that it did look like he was limping slightly when they showed him briefly. At least I did say that when I saw it at first.

If Taylor's out for the season that lends credence to the charge that PJ runs his backs into the ground. From today's game it's obvious that he could have rotated with Evans, with Bryce and Tyler getting some action, too. Look back over the past seven years how often our star running backs missed many games or even entire seasons.

Hopefully Evans can show what he can do. Looked great in the spring game! If Taylor is a for sure leave then time to see what this kid can do because we are going to need him.
He did. He's a dynamic runner.

I will just repost what I wrote in another thread.

In another thread this week, someone posted a peer-reviewed paper that studied the correlation between high reps for running backs and success in the NFL (or impaired career). The study said there is no correlation.

That is not my opinion being supported by a paper. It's a paper influencing my thinking.

On the one hand, it makes common sense that a freshman is different in physical development than a junior, with variation. On the other hand, common sense and first-impressions are not always right. I'm no expert, and maybe there are papers the other way on this.

I don't know. Whatever it is, they should know and make the best choice for player and team. I'm sure players want to gain yards and TDs to the limit, and then limit is the limit, whatever something/someone reputable says the limit should be.

Darius jogging around without a noticeable hitch in warm ups. Must not be a significant injury.

This sounds like a convincing statement (above).

I followed on stats and radio today so I didn't see.

If Taylor's out for the season that lends credence to the charge that PJ runs his backs into the ground. From today's game it's obvious that he could have rotated with Evans, with Bryce and Tyler getting some action, too. Look back over the past seven years how often our star running backs missed many games or even entire seasons.
This. I hope PJ Fleck is paying attention. It is too convenient to entrust a large chunk of the offense to a single back. Develop the trust that your other backs can handle the load.

The game today was a great teaching moment for everyone. The Gophers can open up the offense and play to win.

Top Bottom