Dare I say

I noticed yesterday that RSIII seemed to have enrolled in the Al Jefferson school of low post play. When the ball went inside Indiana collapsed on him leaving several perimeter players, including Hoffarber, wide open. Unfortunately, Ralph couldn't or wouldn't toss the ball back out. Presumably RSIII, at this point in his career, is willing to listen and passing the ball back out when the opponent collapses on him is something that the coaches can teach him to do.

I do agree that the defense is light years ahead of the offense, especially when Nolen and Johnson are in the game. Hoffarber should stay in the game even when he isn't shooting because he moves the ball in an otherwise stagnant offense.

Hate to say I agree with Art, but ultimately Tubby knew that both of these players had some issues before he signed them. I think that we as fans need to stop dwelling on what ifs and start questing Tubby for having this team not ready to play tonight, getting out hustled against Indiana is embarssing. If we are going to play a 3 guard line up we have to do a much better job of boxing out. I counted numerous times were Ralph and DJ simply tried to out reach and out jump the opponents rather than box out. And our guards did a horrible job of boxing out and getting long rebounds.

I agree with him too. I also think that people in UCON should ask for their coach to get fired for the loss to a bad team in Big10.

Presumably RSIII, at this point in his career, is willing to listen and passing the ball back out when the opponent collapses on him is something that the coaches can teach him to do.

Tough to pass out when he brings the ball down to his waist on most occasions. When he does that or hesitates, he fails. He is best when he just reacts and keeps the ball up...like he's been taught his whole career.

Iverson = same thing. Colton has some moves when he is being guarded one-on-one, but he usually hesitates and loses the ball, or he misses a one footer.

Tubby Smith is the kind of coach who tends to get players who will likely be around for four years. I'm as frustrated as the rest of you with the loss to IU. But, Tubby just isn't going to bring one and done players with him to make Minnesota a final four team immediately. Also give Tom Crean credit. He is an excellent coach and had his players ready to play. The officials called the game fairly, but the tightness was detrimental to our style of play.

In all fairness Tubby has done very well to take a lineup of players that Monson had and turn them into serviceable players. Monson left us in shambles. Not a single center or post presence on the roster after Spencer graduated. I have at times liked DJ, Westbrook, Hoff, & Al. They are great role players, but don't have the talent to be the leaders of the team.

Our best two players yesterday were Devoe and Sampson III. They are both sophomores! Tubby brought these guys in. Rodney is also a heck of a talent, and will be a main contributor soon.

Tubby has said you can't miss what you never had. He has also been positive about the players he was left. That is because Tubby is a classy person and coach. He doesn't make excuses. But those of us who are willing to view his entire situation objectively will find that given how Tubby recruits, and Maturi's decision to judge people to be guilty until proven innocent, it will take some time to make us a Big Ten contender.

RS3 plays small and a bit soft at the post... Roy Hibbert-ish..
Guys like him need physical enforcers around him to rebound, etc.
He would be a 20 ppg guy w/White/Trevor in the lineup...
w/o them, he gets pushed around all game long.

Just curious...would you not have done the same? And don't forget that Trevor could have just gotten unlucky if he is innocent.

Tubby knew TM and RW had baggage before they got here. He rolled the dice.

"You can't miss what you never had"
-Tubby Smith

RS3 plays small and a bit soft at the post... Roy Hibbert-ish..
Guys like him need physical enforcers around him to rebound, etc.
He would be a 20 ppg guy w/White/Trevor in the lineup...
w/o them, he gets pushed around all game long.

If RW and TM were in the lineup - there is no way RSIII would average 20ppg...he'd probably play less than he does now.

I have to think Rodney Williams could be a terrific player in time and certainly part of a good Big Ten team for the years ahead.

he might have upside, but he has shown nothing this year at all, nothing. A few dunks against overmatched schools just does not cut it for me. Most cases great players have an impact right away. Plus he might not even be able to play anymore, if the rumors are true...

>>Sampson and especially Iverson (Tubby recruits) are not top level BT material on the inside.<<

No, they're not Jim Brewer and Kevin McHale. They are both sophs who have been splitting time for a mere year and a half. Let's not give up on them yet.

+1

Long time reader and sometimes poster..... G4L you just changed my opinion of you... You do have the ability to see the big picture and post reasonable comments without being critical

Cheers!

Go Gophers!!:drink:

he might have upside, but he has shown nothing this year at all, nothing. A few dunks against overmatched schools just does not cut it for me. Most cases great players have an impact right away. Plus he might not even be able to play anymore, if the rumors are true...

The case of Morris Peterson of MSU is a bit similar to that of Rodney. Peterson was an athletic kid who played inside in highschool and therefore had no veritable skills required in a wing player. Even in his redshirt freshman year, he didn't show much of promise except learning and playing defense. It was his junior year that he truly broke out. I am not stating that Rodney will be another MoPete. But, there is a precedence for a player like Rodney to develop into a good one. I think developing Rodney is one of the critical tasks for us to get to where we aim to be in a couple of years. So, would love to give him a year or two to settle down, acquire the skills, and hopefully blossom.

The reason Morris Peterson broke out in his junior year was that Izzo turned him loose and made him a focal point of the offense run by Cleeves - whereas he came off the bench his first two years. When you're put in that situation it gives you the confidence and ability to make mistakes.

With Tubby's rotation and the resulting lack of offensive identity nobody is allowed to step up and be "the guy" on offense. Look at the offense now. Almost no shots are taken unless a player is on a fast break, he has made at least two shots in a row, or unless there are less than 10 seconds on the shot clock and a shot has to be taken.

My point is that nobody is given the licence to be an offensive force. We all know that Royce has been explosive in the open floor. But Tubby hasn't (and probably won't) let him ever be the player he could be on offense.

most of these guys will never be the players they could be.

williams: in the 1/2 court, catches a pass... look in... return the pass.. i would expect this in Nov.. not now.. i've never seen him try to post up, break down his man off the dribble, etc... seems afraid... worried about playing outside tubbies 'system'...

then watch the elite teams.. almost no shot is a bad shot.. push, push, push... they show off for the NBA scouts.. that is why the elite 50 players will never come here.. ( unless they are home grown ).

go to youtube and watch williams go left against Hopkins from the right sideline... appx five dribbles.. leaps off right foot for a lefthanded slam against Broghammer.. Broghammer went to Notre Dame so he's not exaclty a chump... had williams gone to kentucky, you'd see him in do this every game.

Top Bottom