Daniel Faalele - Biggest Dude in CFB

hungan1

Reaction score
While we are waiting for the NFL Draft, I thought I'd dig up some old stories dear to Gopherholers. Although this is primarily about Daniel Faalele, it is intertwined with Curtis Dunlop's story and how the two friends decided to play together at Minnesota. This is the biggest recruiting coup for the Gophers for as long as I can remember.

What It's Like Being The Biggest Dude IN CFB
By Adam Kramer, B/R Mag, May 20, 2019

While Miles, Harbaugh and Nick Saban all coveted Faalele, it was Minnesota head coach P.J. Fleck who made the best impression throughout the recruiting process—largely because football was only a portion of his pitch. Academics and even the spirituality of the decision have long been important talking points for Fleck.

"If you just want to play ball," Fleck says, "I am probably not for you."

At the time, Fleck assumed that was the case—that given his popularity in recruiting circles, Faalele was destined for Alabama or Georgia. But unlike elite players who grow up with program or geographical ties, Faalele sought comfort in familiarity.

He found it, at least at first, in the form of two IMG teammates: quarterback Zack Annexstad and guard Curtis Dunlap Jr. And both committed to Fleck and Minnesota in late 2017.

Dunlap, in particular, had a lot in common with Faalele. Both had offers from schools across the nation, both were larger than life (Dunlap was 6'5" and 370 pounds), and both were looking for a coach who was more than just a coach. Faalele's father was not a part of his childhood, and Dunlap's father died while his son was in high school.

The pair became close at IMG, and the thought of carving a football legacy together was appealing, so they both committed to Minnesota.

"I felt like some of the other schools didn't have that family environment and atmosphere I wanted," Faalele says. "I wanted to play for Coach Fleck."

Daniel with mom and baby brother / Dunlop and Faalele
The Faaleles.jpg Dunlop and Faalele.jpg

PJ Fleck is a father figure to Faalele and Dunlop. He is not Faalele's only support system.

Faalele did not embark on the journey alone. His mother and younger brother, Taylor, who is 13 years old and already 6'2" and 280 pounds, uprooted and moved to Minneapolis to join him in August. They viewed this as a family decision from the start, and each of them has spent the past year transitioning to a new country, routine and way of life.

On the weekends, Faalele spends much of the time with his mother. "She's always been there for me," he says. "Having her here means my main support system is always nearby.
"

I wonder if Taylor will follow in Daniel's footstep and play football. If he does, I hope he decides to play for the Gophers too.

What they were saying about Daniel Faalele Down Under:

Australian gridiron player, 19, takes America by storm after he was discovered in a Melbourne gym and learned the sport's rules by playing video games
By Nic White, Daily Mail Australia, August 4, 2019

Faalele Helped Bring Home The Axe.jpg
Faalele Helped Bring Home The Axe.

Faalele with Girlfriend 1.jpg Faalele with Girlfriend 2.jpg
Daniel Faalele with girlfriend Brianna Montgomery.

I see good things happening with Faalele this coming year. He knows what he needs to do to be successful at the next level.

Good articles. The Axe is huge and it looks somewhat normal sized when he's got a hold of it. Hopeful about his brother too (Edit: Slab beat me to it).

I thought of Faalele the other day when I stumbled upon this video. What a completely different career arch and tale to be told comparing Faalele and this guy.

One learned of football and started in it late. The other dreamed of D1 and NFL his whole life. I couldn't imagine being 7 feet tall AND battling weight problems at the same time, not to mention academic issues. One is a natural fit for college and (likely) NFL football. The other just couldn't get there despite the dreams. One is naturally gifted with speed and agility. The other just has the size. There is clearly a lot more to Faalele than just his large size.

Younger brother.... have we offered him yet?

How big is/was Faalele's dad? Younger brother is 6'2" 280 at 13....wow. His mom doesn't look big at all but clearly that size is coming from somewhere. His dad is never mentioned in the stories I have seen about him so not sure what if any back story there is there.

How big is/was Faalele's dad? Younger brother is 6'2" 280 at 13....wow. His mom doesn't look big at all but clearly that size is coming from somewhere. His dad is never mentioned in the stories I have seen about him so not sure what if any back story there is there.

Gattaca... it has begun.

I suspect she appears small because of who she is standing next to. Remember, the one on the right is 6'2", 280 lbs!

His mom isn’t as tall as Mike Morris, but she’s taller than PJ.

LIWQvMR.png

I think PJ could curl up in Faalele's lap and have Faalele read him a story.

Top Bottom