Dan Dakich under investigation for comments on Scottsburg basketball coach firing

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Dana:

Dan Dakich went on a 5-minute rant on his radio show Wednesday, lambasting the firing of Scottsburg High's basketball coach, calling a player a "methhead," urging listeners to go "take a dump" in Scottsburg and threatening, "I may just drive down there and beat the hell out of every school board member."

The tirade, including Dakich saying Scottsburg is a town full of "meth and AIDS and needles” set off a string of emails and calls from residents to WFNI The Fan, where his noon to 3 p.m. "The Dan Dakich Show" airs.

On Friday, Dakich's employer told The IndyStar it "is aware of the statements made by Dan Dakich earlier this week and we continue to investigate the issue."

Emmis Communications, which owns ESPN affiliate WFNI The Fan, went on to say in a statement that, "Dan apologized (Thursday) to his listeners who were offended by his comments and passionate opinions about the situation. Listeners tune in to Dan's weekday show for his strong views and frank manner. When we hear from our listeners who have been offended by Dan's opinions, we take those matters seriously."

Go Gophers!!

Calling a high school player a meth head is beyond a passionate opinion. Way over the line. This would wipe out a lot of other public people.

I think Dakich can be a pain at times, but at others, I do appreciate that frank style he brings to the table. ESPN has become something of a joke with its coverage of sports and I think Dakich tries to overcompensate for it with some big, semi-controversial opinions.

He says some crazy stuff, intentionally to get people going sometimes. He's a character on a TV show and he plays it well. If every character were the same, things would be quite boring.

Calling a juvenile on the radio who is not a public figure a drug addict is a slam dunk for a liable suit.
There is a freedom speech issue here but making terroristic threats is not covered.
I have never listened to or watched any "analysts" on ESPN and have no idea how desperate they are for listeners and viewers but this bozo needs to have a mental health intervention.
It is his only defense.

I like his basketball analysis and his podcast, therefor I hope he keeps his job.

It was only a matter of time until Dakich’s mouth got him in trouble.

Reactions: MRJ

It was only a matter of time until Dakich’s mouth got him in trouble.

Bobby Knight disciple. Too bad, because I think his analysis is good and as others have said, not milquetoast. Went across the line here though. It did not sound like the station was ready to throw him under the bus just yet, though.

I think he is one of the worst of many bad analysts on tv. Turn the volume all the way down when he is doing a game I have to watch. No way I watch a game I have little interest in if he is doing the game. Not only a bad analyst but pretty obvious he is not a very good person, pitiful

I have found that I often yell at the TV, "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!" around the same times he is saying it on TV.

Calling a juvenile on the radio who is not a public figure a drug addict is a slam dunk for a liable suit.
There is a freedom speech issue here but making terroristic threats is not covered.
I have never listened to or watched any "analysts" on ESPN and have no idea how desperate they are for listeners and viewers but this bozo needs to have a mental health intervention.
It is his only defense.
You've never watched ESPN? That's a remarkable claim for a sports fan.

You have got to be kidding, sarcasm right? Hope so.

I'm dead serious. As far as analyzing the game, I'd take Bilas and Kellogg over him for sure. Maybe Farnham, Hummel or Frischilla, but other than that, he's as good as anybody doing college games. I like him more than most of the guys at the Big 10 (who I generally like anyways) and most of the guys at FOX/FS1.

I get that he ain't for everybody. But I like his ex-coach style of analysis and blunt nature.

He's a character on my favorite TV Show (college basketball) and I like him in his niche.

He has some actual insight at times, but mostly talking nonsense. I enjoy having him on our games because Gophs beat Indiana in his last game coaching, ending his coaching career, and I know it drives him nuts.

And it was fun listening to his destroy Squirrel Morris because watching him play basketball was painful.

He's the second worst analyst on ESPN (primarily because he never shuts up) behind Bill Walton and his incessant reference to the PAC-12 as the "Conference of Champions."

I think he is one of the worst of many bad analysts on tv. Turn the volume all the way down when he is doing a game I have to watch. No way I watch a game I have little interest in if he is doing the game. Not only a bad analyst but pretty obvious he is not a very good person, pitiful
He makes Brent Musberger sound like a genius. ?

Do you guys actually think Dakich isn't smart or does he say stuff that you don't like?

I'm confused. He's as smart as any analyst when it comes to breaking down the game. What is it that he says that is so dumb in your opinions? I'm genuinely curious. Or is it just one of those things where you hate all analysts - I know people who are like that. No matter what the analyst says, the fan thinks its stupid.

I'd ask those people to name analysts that they actually do like. The Dakich hill isn't one I'll die on, but I guess I'm confused by people who think he's a horrible analyst because I disagree strongly.

Do you guys actually think Dakich isn't smart or does he say stuff that you don't like?

I'm confused. He's as smart as any analyst when it comes to breaking down the game. What is it that he says that is so dumb in your opinions? I'm genuinely curious. Or is it just one of those things where you hate all analysts - I know people who are like that. No matter what the analyst says, the fan thinks its stupid.

I'd ask those people to name analysts that they actually do like. The Dakich hill isn't one I'll die on, but I guess I'm confused by people who think he's a horrible analyst because I disagree strongly.
I actually like when commentators like him focus on the fundamentals. What I don't like, and I've gotten the feeling from Dakich when I've listened to him, is he thinks he understands them at such a deeper and more profound level than anybody else. He has a sense of arrogance about him that I don't pick up on when I listen to the "average" commentator. If you ask me to cite specific examples, sorry but I won't be able to. It's the impression that I get (first one to name the band gets a free digital high 5, and I promise I'll wash my hands for 20 seconds beforehand).

Bunch of soft people in a soft world setting soft lines. Fire everyone! He hurt my soft feelings!

I say, he’s entertaining, not unlike many of the things said by a Steven A Who goes on the attack. He’s paid to give strong opinions.

Bunch of soft people in a soft world setting soft lines. Fire everyone! He hurt my soft feelings!

I say, he’s entertaining, not unlike many of the things said by a Steven A Who goes on the attack. He’s paid to give strong opinions.

I generally agree with you, but he crossed the line when he went after high school kids.

I used to like Dakich a lot because he was honest and knew the game better than most of the analysts we see/hear. However, the last few years it seems like he's stretching for shock value. He blabs about things things he hasn't researched or studied.

He's become a Stephen A. Smith/Skip Bayless type. When you don't know, just shout louder so it sounds like you might be right. He's become a caricature of himself.

There must be some research that says this approach works, otherwise they wouldn't do it, but nothing makes me turn the channel or press mute faster.

I used to like Dakich a lot because he was honest and knew the game better than most of the analysts we see/hear. However, the last few years it seems like he's stretching for shock value. He blabs about things things he hasn't researched or studied.

He's become a Stephen A. Smith/Skip Bayless type. When you don't know, just shout louder so it sounds like you might be right. He's become a caricature of himself.

There must be some research that says this approach works, otherwise they wouldn't do it, but nothing makes me turn the channel or press mute faster.
Agree 100%

Top Bottom