Dammit Doogie- Now he spills beans on Edsall!!

akgopher

Reaction score
I knew it!! Per Doogie via Twitter:

Randy Edsall (Maryland), who the #Gophers negotiated with, and wanted badly, is down at home 31-0 to Temple at the half.

Edsall was coming here and I bet the BCS bid ended it. The spin pointed to someone else being the guy and Kill rising to the top late. I think Kill has a higher ceiling than Edsall. I also think Friedgen will have a better record at Maryland than Edsall too. I don't know why Maryland did what they did, must have thought Under Armour was going to get them a Petersen or Patterson and whiffed.

Why did Doogie or any other reporter wait this long to reveal who it was. Kill even acknowledged that he wasn't our #1.

Edsall is a good coach, he'll do just fine at Maryland. I'm happy with Kill.

Spill beans? I thought it was common knowledge going back to the search itself that Edsall was very close to coaching here.

Spill beans? I thought it was common knowledge going back to the search itself that Edsall was very close to coaching here.

That was my impression. I actually thought he had agreed in principle, but then changed his mind. I could be wrong on that.

I think Kill has a higher ceiling than Edsall.
No disrespect to Kill but Edsall is a heck of a ball coach today's debacle notwithstanding. Maryland will be a nice little program under him.

I wanted the former coach of the team beating up on Maryland. I wonder if he would have considered Minnesota if he knew how much trouble Miami would be in?

This is news???

I don't think it was ever confirmed by a media source until today. He was one of the targets of speculation, but I don't think we ever heard from a reliable source that we indeed wanted him and negotiated a contract. We heard that we were close to a hire earlier than the time frame established with the Kill deal, and the coach acknowledged that fact.

Umm, that tweet appears to be Doogie's opinion, not a statement of fact.

I wanted the former coach of the team beating up on Maryland. I wonder if he would have considered Minnesota if he knew how much trouble Miami would be in?

Not to start up an old beating I took from back then when I reported that Golden told the Temple AD he wasn't leaving when we came calling and then he jumped a week later when Miami came calling, but I will...I think Golden wanted to be coach of a helmut school and if it wasn't going to be Penn St. then any helmut would do...Miami was the first to come calling.

Regarding Edsall, I reported that he had accepted the job because he had...and then after his win and BCS bid, he changed his mind. The U buried it because they didn't want Kill to be even more maligned than he already was when they hired him. I like Kill and am hopeful, but Golden was my #1 and Edsall was my #2 of coaches I thought we had a chance at...and I think that if the U would have said Edsall could coach the BCS game and then come over he would have taken it...but no way could Maturi do this after the way we lost a recruiting season because of the way he fired Mason. Had to name a coach in December.

As an alum of Maryland (and UM), I'd say they looked pretty awful today, plus their uniforms are actually more of a Halloween atrocity than the well known Orgeon versions. Maryland used to have dignity, in unis and on the field. I'm glad we have Kill.

Where is the guy who claimed to have an inside source in the program and was posting the cryptic messages about the selection process? As low as the program was, it was good time on the gopherhole. The stakeout at the airport, twitter rumors of Maturi being in the deep south, Fedora spotted on campus, etc..

I think it has been out there, but the "U" definitely had monetary conversations with Minneapolis-based agent Gary O'Hagan about his client, Randy Edsall. I do think all along that O'Hagan was using the "U" to drive up the price elsewhere. In this case, Maryland.

I think it has been out there, but the "U" definitely had monetary conversations with Minneapolis-based agent Gary O'Hagan about his client, Randy Edsall. I do think all along that O'Hagan was using the "U" to drive up the price elsewhere. In this case, Maryland.

Now that it is over and there is some distance, did we negotiate or come close to landing anyone else?

Negotiate? I don't believe so. I do think they had every intention of doing so with Hoke before Tafoya busted Mona and Maturi on the plane ride home from San Diego. The odd thing: they very well could've had free usage of the Hubbard jet for that trip (used it to pick up Kill), but chose to fly commercial. Keep in mind that Hoke might've said no to begin with, sensing that Rich Rod would be out in Michigan.

The same Randy Edsall who had a losing record in the Big freaking East? No thank you. Yuck.
iLuGF.gif

Tikited, Rose & Khaliq-

Here is what Pat Forde wrote today about your boy Randy Edsall. Time will tell...

Coach who should take the bus to work

Randy Edsall (37), Maryland. Boy, it sure is a good thing the Terrapins brass squeezed out Ralph Friedgen after last year’s 9-4 season. If they hadn’t, they wouldn’t be privy to this year’s 2-6 pratfall in year one under Edsall. Maryland has lost four in a row, most recently a listless 28-17 defeat at home to Boston College. That’s the most points the punchless Eagles have scored in an ACC game since the middle of the 2009 season.

For the state of the pgm.I think Kill is better. Patience and know how,Kill has it hands down.

hey, we're doing better than a penny on stub hub!

When did I say he's my boy?

Maryland was a disaster to go into. There is a reason they fired that coach. If you were expecting Maryland to be good this year you were on something. They've been a little disappointing and slightly below my expectations, then again I could say the same exact things about kill.

I'd still rather have Edsall than kill. Hopefully I'm wrong since we got kill.

That writer in the post is upset that they are losing so he starts ripping on the dress code Edsall has. You support this writer. If a Minnesota writer ripped on kills "loafer" shirts would you support that writer at well?

I don't think discussions with Hoke ever got very far because it was clear in the initial interview that he would be gone if Michigan opened up.

With everything considered, I would much rather have Kill that Edsall. I was never that impressed with Edsall at UConn. Sort of backed into a BCS bowl last year with an average record and just got destroyed. I realize UConn would be a tough school to recruit to and things like that, but come on, it is the Big East, the worst BCS conference. I know Kill is from the MAC, but I much prefer his track record of program building to that of Edsalls.

Top Bottom