Damian Johnson

Met his parents in Orlando when the Gophers played in a Thanksgiving tournament and the Milkhouse. Super, super nice.

I want to see Damian coaching for the Gophers some day.
Here's his team statement. I haven't followed him much as a coach, maybe it's time to start doing that. Seems like he's got a good program going there.

THE TRUE NORTH.
The goal of our program is to create a fun, competitive and safe basketball environment that focuses on providing skill development, fostering a love for the game, teaching respect for others, instilling self-confidence, shaping young leaders, and building teamwork in our North St. Paul student-athletes.

Here's his team statement. I haven't followed him much as a coach, maybe it's time to start doing that. Seems like he's got a good program going there.

THE TRUE NORTH.
The goal of our program is to create a fun, competitive and safe basketball environment that focuses on providing skill development, fostering a love for the game, teaching respect for others, instilling self-confidence, shaping young leaders, and building teamwork in our North St. Paul student-athletes.

He's a good follow on Twitter as well. Definitely has a good head on his shoulders. I bet he'd be a good recruiter for us. Seems like someone both kids and parents would like and I think someone who grew up in the south but chose to live in Minnesota could convince other people that Minnesota is a good place to be.

Started following Gopher ball his freshman year. VIP Johnson is my all-time favorite player. I had to watch that Big Ten Network show following the team (blanking on name) twice because DJ was so hilarious. That was back when they followed a team for the season.

Damian Johnson certainly wasn't the most athletically gifted player....but he was almost definitely the most intelligent. Always seemed to be in the right place and was a defensive nightmare for the opposition. He did all the small things that make for a good player and teammate.

He'll do great things as a coach.

Damian Johnson certainly wasn't the most athletically gifted player....but he was almost definitely the most intelligent. Always seemed to be in the right place and was a defensive nightmare for the opposition. He did all the small things that make for a good player and teammate.

+1

I loved watching him defend.

He's the perfect example of a 4-year player. Looked absolutely lost as a freshman and by the time he was a senior, he was so versatile and valuable. Sometimes we need to practice patience (Ihnen, Freeman).

He's the perfect example of a 4-year player. Looked absolutely lost as a freshman and by the time he was a senior, he was so versatile and valuable. Sometimes we need to practice patience (Ihnen, Freeman).
Not to get off topic here, but Aaron Robinson is another favorite from that era who fits that description and, lo and behold, a bit of a search brings me to an article from last year that indicates A-Rob is an assistant coach with North. Nice to see such wonderful reps for the U sticking around and helping to mold the prep players coming up.

Damian Johnson was a great athlete. He was 6'7" 200" and averaged a couple blocks and steals a game in the Big 10. He was a human pogo stick. He was actually pretty similar to Rodney Williams (not quite the athlete).

Damian is one of my favorite Gophers and the dude was a fantastic athlete.

Damian Johnson was a great athlete. He was 6'7" 200" and averaged a couple blocks and steals a game in the Big 10. He was a human pogo stick. He was actually pretty similar to Rodney Williams (not quite the athlete).

Damian is one of my favorite Gophers and the dude was a fantastic athlete.

I worded that wrong. He wasn't the most offensively gifted played. Definitely one of my favourite Gophers of all time too.

Top Bottom