Dabo Swinney says Clemson doesn't want College Football Playoff to expand to 12 teams

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per CBS:

Dabo Swinney is scheduled to appear at ACC Media Days on Thursday in Charlotte, North Carolina, but the Clemson coach let a spoiler fly Tuesday, when he told local reporters that the Tigers are not in favor of a 12-team College Football Playoff. The CFP could expand from four to 12 teams as early as the 2023 season, which would make it more accessible but also require that perennial participants like Clemson navigate a longer journey to a national title.

"Our team wasn't for it, Swinney said, according to The Athletic's Grace Raynor. "They don't want to play more games. And to be honest with you, I don't think there's 12 teams good enough."

"Maybe we should have a 40-team Premier League with a 12-team Playoff and if you stink you get relegated to the other level or something. I don't know."

Go Gophers!!

Didn’t his team get destroyed in the CFP by the team he ranked 11th last year?

Last edited:

There aren’t 12 teams good enough to win a national championship. He is right.

but I don’t get his argument.
so we are supposed to just take the committees word for it on who the 3-4 deserving team is?

maybe we put in 12 and the 7-8 teams that don’t belong lose…and it’s fine.

A championship should be a gauntlet, not a game Dabo. All these 2 team and 4 team championships, getting soft. He’d probably prefer it went back a vote, instead of 12 or 16 teams, like it should be.

Dabo's aw shuckness has about run it's course with me - he's starting sound like an entitled Southern Belle.

Does Dabo sound a little pompous? Maybe there aren't forty good teams. It is not Clemson's place to decide who is crowned the national champion every year.

Money is changing the college football landscape. Sports media conglomerates are ruining age-old traditions. They'd love a twelve-team format.

Will the Gophers ever play a Pac-12 team in the Rose Bowl? Will it still feel like the granddaddy of college bowls?

I do agree with Dabo on one thing. A twelve-game playoff is too many football games. Potentially, a wildcard team can play thirteen games. Players with NFL aspirations may not want to risk serious injuries.

Will we start seeing players opting out of some games during the regular season? I can see that coming.

Teams that are nimble at adapting to change may seize this as an opportunity. The Gophers may want to maximize playing back-ups and red-shirts. Red-shirts are allowed to play four games and still preserve their status. Rest some of the starters and give young players some game experience. It will be a balancing act since the Gophers want to maximize the chances of winning a game while preserving key players.

Last edited:

:ROFLMAO:

= he doesn't want any other ACC team to ever be able to make the CFP (as an at-large).

Plain and simple. Clear as crystal.

Oh weird, never seen that before. The #1 in any particular market, wants to artificially place barriers to competition.

I do agree with Dabo on one thing. A twelve-game playoff is too many football games. Potentially, a wildcard team can play thirteen games. Players with NFL aspirations may not want to risk serious injuries.
The most you could ever get would be 17.

12 regular season, +1 conf champ game, + not seeded top 4 so have to play four games in the playoff.

Would take an upset conf champion game winner, and probably an SEC or Big Ten team that lost early missing some key players and got them back. Will be rare. So 16 games is the most likely for the national champion.

FCS national champion teams already play that every year. And those teams routinely have guys who make NFL squads (at least practice squads) every year.

So your argument is fine, but holds little water for me.

Top Bottom