Current WRs Rate High

Gophergrandpa

Reaction score
Our WRs performed well against WI. Could be a number of reasons for that unusual game success, but scheme, commitment to the pass, passing enough to coordinate timing, etc. might be factors. So, is our WR group a good one? Many seem to think it is subpar.

Based on rankings come out of HS--and assuming no transfers out--the Gophers will enter next year with the most highly ranked WR corp it has ever had. If the NCAA gives him another year, CrAB will come back to lead the group. He was a mid-level 3* at an 0.8499 HS ranking (why not an 0.8500 ranking for the computers to figure out). The next three WRs are all 4* ranked coming out of HS. Dylan Wright was very highly ranked, at 0.9678; Daniel Jackson was at 0.8982; new transfer Markus Allen was at 0.8928. All of these three have had challenges (Jackson's being nagging injuries), but all have superior natural ability and athletic gifts. We also have a talented high 3*, Lemeke Brockington, ranked at 0.8759 in the mix. On a team populated mostly with mid-3*, the potential starters at WR stands out as an exception; it is a loaded group--at least on paper. {Good depth, too. In order of rankings: Ike White, 0.8685; Kristen Hoskins, 0.8611; Dino Kaliakmanis, 0.8593, and Michael Brown-Stephens, 0.08498; plus several local walk-ons).

I believe that our lack of a meaningful, continuous commitment to the passing game during the past two years relates primarily to Mo's truly incredible vision, ability and durability. It was just easier and safer to fall back on him--Old Reliable, who almost never got tackled for a loss or fumbled--rather than to chance mistakes and turnovers, and perhaps losses, developing a robust passing game. It might also have related to the upper limits of Tanner's abilities. Well, in 2023 we enter the post-Mo era ... and the post-Tanner era. In 2023, the most important player on our team, the player we fashion our offense around, will be (as on almost every other good team) the guy who gets a touch on virtually every play: the QB. I think this dynamic alone will (or should!) lead the Gophers back to the process of developing a robust passing game under game conditions--working on the blocking schemes, on timing and coordination with receivers, and on instinctual play through repetition, etc. We will return to seeking multiple explosive plays per game--and taking the chances that go with that "playing to win" mentality.

So anyway, I think our receiver group going into next year is actually quite good from a natural ability standpoint--and could be boosted if TE BSF comes back for a final year. When given meaningful chances, all these receivers (except the transfer in, Allen) have shown Gopher fans some game. The current WR group has the most nominal talent of any we've ever had. Can that talent be revealed and cultivated? That is up to the coaches and the QB. I suspect the QB is up for the challenge!

Last edited:

I'm more hopeful.

But Wisc sold out to stop Mo. Like some passes (game winner to Le'Meke Brockington) the DB who is 10 yards or so back from the line IS PLAYING THE RUN.

That's crazy, and not likely to keep happening... so I'm hopeful but I'm not sure that game really showed us life next year.

Still it felt like Wright and Jackson and others were sot of "comming out of their shell" late in the season too and showed you can chuck it up to them on a contested throw and they'll make it. That's a great intangable regardless what the defense is doing.

Wright, Jackson, and Brockington have proven that they can catch the ball. End of story. You can trust them.

The story is still yet to be written on the overall narrative of how well the passing game works, for all the various defenses we will see over the course of a year.

Multiple posts and no one mentions are leading pass catcher who is potentially back next year. Funny.

I'm more hopeful.

But Wisc sold out to stop Mo. Like some passes (game winner to Le'Meke Brockington) the DB who is 10 yards or so back from the line IS PLAYING THE RUN.

That's crazy, and not likely to keep happening... so I'm hopeful but I'm not sure that game really showed us life next year.

Still it felt like Wright and Jackson and others were sot of "comming out of their shell" late in the season too and showed you can chuck it up to them on a contested throw and they'll make it. That's a great intangable regardless what the defense is doing.
Yep. This is why establishing a dominant running game is still the most important thing for our team even with Athan as the QB.

Multiple posts and no one mentions are leading pass catcher who is potentially back next year. Funny.
I really do think people have forgotten about him to a certain degree. CRAB instantly makes our WR corps a ton stronger because he can be the #1 allowing the other guys to work against lesser DBs.

For as much as our WR group has struggled at times this year a top 4 of CRAB, Brockington, Wright, and Jackson could be very solid. Plus now there is Markus Allen in the mix as well although maybe he doesn't really become a factor until 2024 or something like that.

I really do think people have forgotten about him to a certain degree. CRAB instantly makes our WR corps a ton stronger because he can be the #1 allowing the other guys to work against lesser DBs.

For as much as our WR group has struggled at times this year a top 4 of CRAB, Brockington, Wright, and Jackson could be very solid. Plus now there is Markus Allen in the mix as well although maybe he doesn't really become a factor until 2024 or something like that.
I meant BSF. But Autman-Bell would help a lot if healthy.

I'm more hopeful.

Yes, I think that because of Mo's incredible dependability (and perhaps some critical WR mistakes, such as the end zone muff that gifted an interception at Purdue), we shied away taking "normal" chances with the passing game. Stopped throwing contested balls--though these have always been a Gopher staple, etc. Stopped throwing deep, even though these often result in game-changing explosive plays (e.g., Dylan Wright and Daniel Jackson against WI). It made sense with a very special human being like Mo in the backfield to just play it safe. But this led to atrophy, rather than development, of the passing game during the course of the season. Which doesn't make sense in the long run, in a sport whose rules highly favor the pass over the running game. A strong running game should always be part of the Gophers plan, because you need one to win in the Big Ten--especially in bad November weather. A good running game also, as you point out, stresses the defense, setting the table for play action passes. But a strong, complementary passing game is necessary if you want to win the tough, key games, against Big Ten opponents with great defenses. So, I don't think we will make a radical change. We still run the ball 60% of the time. But our passing game should get a fair 40%, on average, going forward. And play action passes, whether out of an RPO look or otherwise, should be a bigger feature again in the future.

Last edited:

The post is about our wide receiver group ... I mentioned BSF in the post (though not a WR), because he is very good ... and makes our WRs better. I hope truly he comes back. But I was posting about the HS rankings of our current WRs.

Last edited:

Ok. If your #1 pass catcher is a tight end it should be noted.

Also insanity to rank your receiver room based on their high school ranking. CRAB's is from 2016.
I was pointing out what the 247 rating service thought of our wide receiver group, as athletes, coming out of HS. It's a data point. Dispositive? Of course not. Interesting? To me, yes; very interesting. To you, not interesting. I get it.

Top Bottom