Current Roster

GopherPlaya

Reaction score
Does anyone have an idea of the updated roster and how many scholarships we have left?

Returning
G/F Gach Senior
F Inhen Junior

Transfers
F/C Fox Junior
G/F Sutherlin Senior
G Stephens Senior
G Loewe Senior
F Battle Junior

Incoming
C Thompson Freshmen

Is this correct? Would that mean we only have 5 scholarships left not including Johnson if he comes back? If this is the Roster, we need to add another Guard, Combo Forward 3/4, and a Center and maybe take a chance on a Freshmen PG but if McNeily's nephew is coming then maybe we don't even need another Guard.

Does anyone have an idea of the updated roster and how many scholarships we have left?

Returning
G/F Gach Senior
F Inhen Junior

Transfers
F/C Fox Junior
G/F Sutherlin Senior
G Stephens Senior
G Loewe Senior
F Battle Junior

Incoming
C Thompson Freshmen

Is this correct? Would that mean we only have 5 scholarships left not including Johnson if he comes back? If this is the Roster, we need to add another Guard, Combo Forward 3/4, and a Center and maybe take a chance on a Freshmen PG but if McNeily's nephew is coming then maybe we don't even need another Guard.
Battle has 3 left, I think he still has sophomore eligibility

I believe Gach still has 2 years. Battle has 3 years. Ihnen also has 3 years.

I'm feeling pretty good about next seasons roster. If we get lucky, whether trough to portal or someone (Mash Willis/Johnson) decides to stay we'll have a solid group! Go Gophers!cross.gif

Last edited:

Can't really recall a time when we had basically the entire roster turn over like this. Crazy to think we will be going into next season as fans not really having any clue what to expect from all the new faces.

Based on how things are shaping up I like our odds of having a competitive roster. Highly doubtful we will be in a position to contend but at the very least we most likely won't be embarrassed most nights.

Thought this thread was going to be about the current roster..... :)

What doesn't make sense is how Sean Sutherlin would have three more seasons 🤔

2017-18: JUCO (year 1, season 1)
2018-19: JUCO (year 2, season 2)
2019-20: New Hampshire (year 3, season 3)
2020-21: sat out due to hip surgery

So even if you assume he was granted a medical hardship waiver for the 2020-21 season, thus increasing his clock to six years and allowing five seasons to be played .... that still doesn't get you three more seasons. Just three more years. Meaning one of the years would have to be a redshirt.

Obviously he's trying to make it like he's "stacking" the free covid year and the medical hardship into a 2-for-1 for 2020-21. That's silly, and I hope the NCAA doesn't grant that.
Is he applying for that? I had heard he's just got the 1 year left.

Is he applying for that? I had heard he's just got the 1 year left.
Apologies.

There appeared to be a Tweet saying he had three. I know that was discussed in one of the threads.

This year is going to feel like the first year of an NBA expansion franchise. Nobody knows anybody on the roster.
It will be the case for a vast majority of schools, just wild. I like what Ben Johnson is doing. Get a bunch of 6'5" - 6'9" athletes who can play multiple positions on the floor. Get the two kids from A&M and UND center and look out!

It will be the case for a vast majority of schools, just wild. I like what Ben Johnson is doing. Get a bunch of 6'5" - 6'9" athletes who can play multiple positions on the floor. Get the two kids from A&M and UND center and look out!
Definitely agree. Baylor had a smaller roster and it worked. Get guys who are athletic and focus on defensive rotations

A total of 15 scholarships are allowed, correct? Which means we have 7 spots available.

Yep, so far it's a good sign. He doesn't seem super concerned about "positions" and he shouldn't be.

Put athletes and shooters on the court. Switch everything on the perimeter and don't run the offense "through" anyone.

The construction of the roster, alone, makes me think Ben has a better understanding of modern basketball than Pitino.

Returning
G/F Gach Senior
F Inhen Junior

Transfers
F/C Fox Junior
G/F Sutherlin Senior
G Stephens Senior
G Loewe Senior
F Battle Junior

Incoming
C Thompson Freshmen

Only 5?

A total of 15 scholarships are allowed, correct? Which means we have 7 spots available.
Where did you see 15? I thought they said they weren't going to grant extra spots.

This year is a wash, I'm just hoping for a fundamentally sound squad. If the A&M transfers come thru, we could surprise some folks though.

If Chet commits, les goooo

Feels like it would be nice to add one true primary ballhandler. From what I've seen/read, seems like Loewe/stephens/sutherlin/gach are all guys that can handle the ball a bit in the course of an offense and play off ball, but aren't necessarily guys you want to be running your offense. Would love a pass-first point guard, the two A&M transfers, Brandon Johnson, and another center to finish out the roster.

Gonna be interesting to see how this roster competes. Not gonna really have any stars, but with so much movement and playing time up for grabs, might end up with 13 pretty solid players, even if there aren't any future NBA guys or all-big ten types.

Worked out pretty well for the Las Vegas Golden Knights in their first year, built a roster with good but not great players and went to the stanley cup. Obviously hockey and college basketball are completely different, but wouldn't be shocked to see this team be competitive through depth and being able to ride the hot hand as guys go through streaks. Still think we'll be missing the top-end talent to be an actual contender in the conference, but gonna be a fun year and think we'll win some games people don't expect us to.

Gonna be interesting to see how this roster competes. Not gonna really have any stars, but with so much movement and playing time up for grabs, might end up with 13 pretty solid players, even if there aren't any future NBA guys or all-big ten types.

Worked out pretty well for the Las Vegas Golden Knights in their first year, built a roster with good but not great players and went to the stanley cup. Obviously hockey and college basketball are completely different, but wouldn't be shocked to see this team be competitive through depth and being able to ride the hot hand as guys go through streaks. Still think we'll be missing the top-end talent to be an actual contender in the conference, but gonna be a fun year and think we'll win some games people don't expect us to.

Yup. As of now, it would not surprise me if we were underdogs for most games, maybe except Penn State and NW. Depending how the roster fills out.

Getting too excited about players most of us have never seen play, come from lower conference schools without a lot of team success, have never played together and for a coach who has never been a head coach is not good for the soul. Maybe better than on paper, but highly doubtful. Best case scenario is we get a group of guys who run a system we can see having success when better players start playing it. I'm sure they will sneak up on a few who take them too lightly, but anything better than Weakling Wednesday would be an absolute shock.

Getting too excited about players most of us have never seen play, come from lower conference schools without a lot of team success, have never played together and for a coach who has never been a head coach is not good for the soul. Maybe better than on paper, but highly doubtful. Best case scenario is we get a group of guys who run a system we can see having success when better players start playing it. I'm sure they will sneak up on a few who take them too lightly, but anything better than Weakling Wednesday would be an absolute shock.
Assuming that the season is a wash in April can't be good for the soul either. That's part of the fun of sports for me, every year is a brand new chance for something special, a clean slate, and the imagining and what ifs are part of the fun. Yeah, I'm not gonna go bet on them being a great team next year, but I'd rather be overly optimistic about the potential and have something to be excited about.

Feels like it would be nice to add one true primary ballhandler. From what I've seen/read, seems like Loewe/stephens/sutherlin/gach are all guys that can handle the ball a bit in the course of an offense and play off ball, but aren't necessarily guys you want to be running your offense. Would love a pass-first point guard, the two A&M transfers, Brandon Johnson, and another center to finish out the roster.
CHET!!!!!

Top Bottom