Culture Eats Strategy for Breakfast

Dano564

Fleck Superfan
Reaction score
Quote attributed to Peter Drucker.
This is why we win more close games than we lose close games.

Play calling is not why we win / lose more games.
It's the culture of how players play under pressure.
Do they make bad penalties, do they throw interceptions, etc.

There is a logical syllogism joke in there somewhere re: difficult conversations.

Execution > strategy

You can win playing any style of football. You can lose playing any style of football.
the team that wins wins because of talent and execution

Execution > strategy

You can win playing any style of football. You can lose playing any style of football.
I'd throw effort into that equation too. Unless you are including it in execution.

I'd throw effort into that equation too. Unless you are including it in execution.
I was. Takes a great effort to execute but I’m fine throwing a third into the equation

Execution > strategy

How players execute is "culture".
Do they do the right thing when pressure is on.
Do they do the right things when being watched.
Do they do the right things when not being watched.
Are they in an environment where the get better.
Are they motivated to compete. Motivated to give effort.
If you set the right culture, much of that becomes a bi-product of setting the culture.

That's the meaning behind culture eats strategy for breakfast.

How players execute is "culture".
Do they do the right thing when pressure is on.
Do they do the right things when being watched.
Do they do the right things when not being watched.
Are they in an environment where the get better.
Are they motivated to compete. Motivated to give effort.
If you set the right culture, much of that becomes a bi-product of setting the culture.

That's the meaning behind culture eats strategy for breakfast.
You sound like a real Howpher

So if we do nothing but runs up the middle the whole game, since our culture is good, do we win?

Give the players a chance as a coach.

So if we do nothing but runs up the middle the whole game, since our culture is good, do we win?

Give the players a chance as a coach.

You sound like a real Howpher

It's typical leadership stuff.
It's not just a football thing. It's also a business thing.

A lot of what Fleck teaches is analogous to what you'll find in current day corporate leadership seminars.

Good strategy can win games, good culture will lead to sustained success

Execution > strategy

This is correct.

No play in football is designed to be stuffed. Every play, no matter what you're doing, is designed to gain as many yards as possible and even score.

All the "culture" stuff .... this is the best I can do, honestly:

if recruits buy into, and it gets us recruits who might instead not came here under a Mason style coach .... fine.

I'll tell you someone I don't think has a good culture.

NEBRASKA.

Culture was great last night, but a flag happy ref was more of a factor. Culture really had an off night a few weeks ago versus the Terps.

Green Bay Packers and the Power Sweep under Lombardi as an example. Ran it over and over.

Well, most of the players involved in that Green Bay power sweep ended up in the NFL Hall of Fame. Not sure we can QUITE correlated to that.... :cool:

Green Bay Packers and the Power Sweep under Lombardi as an example. Ran it over and over.

How fun was that!

College equivalent = Student Body Right/Left With Johnnie Robinson. The Gophers couldn't do much to stop it when they played the in '79 and '80. I was at the 80 game at Memorial Stadium with Marcus Allen at tailback.

Found this online - quality isn't good, of course, but fun for nostalgia -

There is a logical syllogism joke in there somewhere re: difficult conversations.

Hey smart guy. Have you looked up "F in the chat" yet?

Because you just got rocked brother (in the voice of Hulk Hogan, another piss pants racist but helluva wrestler. I rooted against that pasty bastard because I sniffed out the rot even as a kid).

Watch the poll thread tomorrow.

Execution > strategy

Part of execution is calling the correct play against the defensive alignment.

Part of execution is calling the correct play against the defensive alignment.
Some plays have more advantage than others. Every play is designed to score against every front though

on one level, there is some value in this argument. for a team to be successful, the players need to buy into the coach and the system. they need to believe that what the team is doing will lead to success.

BUT - on a purely cynical level - I have to point out that this same argument could be used as a "get-out-of-jail-free" card for the coach. if culture trumps strategy every time, then you really can't criticize the coach when strategic decisions go bad - like going for it on 4th down from your own 31-yard line.
because "our culture is more important than strategy." that's an escape clause for the coach.

There has to be a balance. A team could have the best culture in the world, but bad strategy and bad coaching decisions - I believe - will outweigh culture more often than not. I don't care how much the players believe in the coach and the system. bad play-calling and bad coaching decisions can sink any team. and if there are enough bad play calls and bad decisions, then players will begin to doubt the coaches, no matter how good the culture is.

on one level, there is some value in this argument. for a team to be successful, the players need to buy into the coach and the system. they need to believe that what the team is doing will lead to success.

BUT - on a purely cynical level - I have to point out that this same argument could be used as a "get-out-of-jail-free" card for the coach. if culture trumps strategy every time, then you really can't criticize the coach when strategic decisions go bad - like going for it on 4th down from your own 31-yard line.
because "our culture is more important than strategy." that's an escape clause for the coach.

There has to be a balance. A team could have the best culture in the world, but bad strategy and bad coaching decisions - I believe - will outweigh culture more often than not. I don't care how much the players believe in the coach and the system. bad play-calling and bad coaching decisions can sink any team. and if there are enough bad play calls and bad decisions, then players will begin to doubt the coaches, no matter how good the culture is.
Yeah. Culture is overrated

Talent and execution.
Execution is in large part cultural but not really

Yeah. Culture is overrated

Talent and execution.
Execution is in large part cultural but not really
If the "culture" is that you bust your ass studying the play book, taking extra time to work on your own technique for each play, watching extra film in your own time, etc. .... handed down from upperclassmen to younger guys "this is the way" , that's a type of "culture" I can absolutely get behind.

If the "culture" is that you bust your ass studying the play book, taking extra time to work on your own technique for each play, watching extra film in your own time, etc. .... handed down from upperclassmen to younger guys "this is the way" , that's a type of "culture" I can absolutely get behind.

are there any teams that discourage that type of approach?

Coaching staffs may have different approaches, but hard work, effort, teamwork - those are universal concepts.

I am NOT saying that Fleck's approach is wrong. I'm just saying that Fleck has not found some unique approach to football coaching that only he understands. Fleck is doing the same thing as many other coaches. he just dresses it up different, presents it differently, and uses different language to describe it.

Really bad play calling could sink any team, sure. I don't think most games end up as wins or losses based on really bad play calling.

I think far more is on bad execution. Kid misses a block or lines up wrong, or QB makes bad reads.
Sure, there are plays where certain defensive alignments should murder that play, but even in those cases, the OC / QB usually has an audible or option to run something safer.

Where you start getting critical of the coach and his culture is when kids quit buying in. When you keep kids around that don't work as hard. Where you don't hold kids to high standards and it disrupts how other players feel. When your culture isn't developing kids or having them make smart decisions. (Nebraska).

Coaching staffs may have different approaches, but hard work, effort, teamwork - those are universal concepts.

I am NOT saying that Fleck's approach is wrong. I'm just saying that Fleck has not found some unique approach to football coaching that only he understands. Fleck is doing the same thing as many other coaches. he just dresses it up different, presents it differently, and uses different language to describe it.
I wasn't implying anyone discourages it. I am implying that, to varying degrees at different programs, it probably doesn't happen as much.

I think it's a difference in leadership styles. "Servant leadership or "coaching leadership" is essentially what Fleck appears to be.

Most traditional ball coaches are probably more Autocratic or Commanding leaders.
Mike Riley at Nebraska seemed more Laissez-Faire.

Hey smart guy. Have you looked up "F in the chat" yet?

Because you just got rocked brother (in the voice of Hulk Hogan, another piss pants racist but helluva wrestler. I rooted against that pasty bastard because I sniffed out the rot even as a kid).

Watch the poll thread tomorrow.
No idea what the heck you are talking about but it is still funny.

Top Bottom