Creating and sustaining energy at the Barn

fair

Reaction score
I don't typically create my own threads, so apologies if this isn't the right place for this. This isn't meant to be a debate of whether the fans should be excited when play on the court is poor. Team performance is absolutely a limiting factor for any fan base. Rather, I think there are a lot of ways to both sustain energy when the crowd gets going, and coax some excitement out when the Gophers are struggling.

Creating
One glaring problem that I've notices in the past few years is the lack of any great fan promotions. This last (color) out that I recall was the gold out against Miami 2 years ago. Even in the student section there's been one attempt at a gold out this year that was horribly marketed and led to poor participation. What is stopping us from doing a maroon out, gold out, stripe out, ANYTHING that pretty much every school does at some point in the season? Gopher fans proved during football season that they would respond to the call.

Speaking of the student section: we need to strengthen spirit among students. Promotions help with this. One thing I'd love to see in future years is a pep rally of some sort before the season. Have a night for only students to come out and get excited about the team. Introduce them to the players, teach new fans some chants and traditions, have a 3 pt or dunk contest, things like that. If you gave out some free things I guarantee there would be solid attendance.

Sustaining
This might be the most controversial thing I say in this post: we play the Rouser way too much. Everyone loves the tradition that is the Minnesota Rouser. Never has that love been tested as much as in games like today. By my rough count, I think it was played 8 times today. The judgement call on when to play the fight song needs to be better. There's the obvious spots (entrance, half-time, post game, etc.), but the ones during timeouts can be absolute energy killers. Fans stop yelling to hear the band, then get a good spelling in, and then sit down. Today, for example, we had the back-to-back Kalscheur and Willis threes that got the crowd going. Iowa time out. Cue the Rouser. Very loud spelling, and then... everyone sits down. By the time play resumes it's like nothing happened. Watch any other game on TV and you'll see that breaks after big runs go right into high-energy electronic music or something that reflects the excitement in the arena. Let there be a max of one extra Rouser per half.

In a similar vein, the rest of the timeouts can be absolutely brutal as a spectator. Nothing screams energy like... watching a soy bean growing race? Watching UPS boxes spin around? Those need to go. They contribute nothing to the atmosphere. Instead, let the band do its thing for a while. Get some chants going. Anything that keeps the noise level up. As cheesy as the clips of the players saying "get loud" can seem, they do the job. More of those, please. One of the few times today where the entire building stood up was after video Oturu told them to get up.

Conclusion
Overall, this thread is really just me venting about what I feel is a slowly declining game day experience. In the crowded MSP sports market, you have to create a unique environment to draw in new fans. It just feels like Gopher Athletics has been stagnant in recent years.

Agree completely on the rouser. Said the same thing after the penn state game.

We have the least creative student section around. Even when we win, the students aren't creative and they have very few student section traditions. I get they aren't the problem, but they certainly aren't creative or intimidating.

^^^^^^^^*****^^
All Good observations and suggestions above.

A winning product would fix all these things listed.
Yes, as is always the case. But the fan experience side of things can't just be pushed aside until we start winning.

We have the least creative student section around. Even when we win, the students aren't creative and they have very few student section traditions. I get they aren't the problem, but they certainly aren't creative or intimidating.
That is the sad truth. I wish I would have gotten involved more in the leadership of the student section to see what goes on there. We're good at getting excited but it takes much more than that to be a great student section at all times.

We don’t have a student section. God bless the ones who are there, but that section has been more than half full maybe twice this year. And once was the Penn State game with the $15 ticket/beer deal (great idea! Do it more!). Even in the “sellout” today, only the bottom half of the student section had spectators. I was very confused how it was considered sold out.

You’d think a campus this big could at least put together a somewhat decent sized and consistent student section. It’s pathetic.

And again this is nothing against those that are there. Thank you for trying.

The stupid-ass scoreboard games suck the life out of the building and make us all dumber. I cannot believe anyone would prefer that to an honest-to-goodness college game environment. FFS, the pep band lugs their heavy instruments to the MF arena, let them play a little.

And I'm cool with having a DJ for a change of pace, but let's have a little variety. We have some of the best local pop-rock music in the country; showcase it. Play some Nur-D!

Great Thread! Love to see some work on the overall experience especially for the Students. There is so much that could and should be done even if we were at the top of the Bigten. How much would a more vibrant fanbase translate to energy on the court?

Great conversation as it's sad to watch the energy drain @ the barn. I would add the U has made a number of changes that have hurt in an effort to collect more revenue. They moved many hard core, loyal fans away from the court and gave the seats to corporate donors not all of which are passionate fans. The seat donation fees were questionable when you are not consistently making the NCAA tournament. I would love to see them get creative to bring back the students and give them more seats close to the floor. Winning more certainly helps a lot but that does not mean the U shouldn't be trying harder now.

The marketing and advancement department is clearly way out of sync with the vision of the Coyle regime.

Clean house and get new staff in there.

I agree with others here. Ditch the barbell and bongo cams and the other mindless camera games during the breaks.

Can we also raise the ante on giveaways during the game above/beyond a row of wiener winners?

Also --- ditch the rouser when the fans finally get into the game. Nothing sucks the life out of the building like the tired rouser.

Just win and everything takes care of itself. That and play HARD the whole game. Don't EVER let Iowa or Wisconsin win in your place for starters. Clem didn't. The barn was an absolute madhouse when Clem was coach. His kids played HARD.

Lol the dude says "Aside from Winning what can we do to improve the experience?" and everyone suggests winning.

Most of the fans here have no problem with basic stats but my suggestion is to find fans that can read.

Just win and everything takes care of itself. That and play HARD the whole game. Don't EVER let Iowa or Wisconsin win in your place for starters. Clem didn't. The barn was an absolute madhouse when Clem was coach. His kids played HARD.

Including games later vacated, the Gophers lost to Wisconsin once and Iowa 5 times while Clem Haskins was coach.

Iowa - 1987, 1988, 1992, 1995 & 1998
Wisconsin - 1986

Including games later vacated, the Gophers lost to Wisconsin once and Iowa 5 times while Clem Haskins was coach.

Wisconsin - 1986
I count every game won and lost during his era. It was never proven he had anything to do with what happened. If the U would have stood behind their coach, this program would be a much better shape than it is now. That one move alone cost this University a decent basketball program. Heck with what teams get away with now, this should have only been a slap on the wrist.

I don't care if Iowa won a few games there. By and large the barn was TOUGH to come away with a win no matter how good your team was in the Clem era. His teams were light years tougher than anything we've seen since here and they played hard. All of this was done with no better recruits than what we see here right now.

Besides that, the barn was the hottest ticket in town and it was LOUD all game. Elite 8s, finals 4s, sweet 16s. We've forgot what its like to win around Williams arena. That is the biggest problem.

Wisconsin - 1986

Why don't you also include the wins at our house those programs have had since he left while you're at it?;)

Why don't you also include the wins at our house those programs have had since he left while you're at it?;)

Sports Reference indicates 11 Badger & 6 Hawkeye victories in Williams Arena since the Haskins era.

Wisconsin - 1986
1995 was the Chris Kingsbury game.

#1 way to take energy out of the arena: Read scripted agriculture statistics for the halftime show of a conference boarder battle.
I'll still take that over the idiotic scoreboard thing with the jersey. Holy F, is it possible to come up with stupider shit than that.

I'll still take that over the idiotic scoreboard thing with the jersey. Holy F, is it possible to come up with stupider shit than that.
Honestly wouldn't be so bad if they showed people who are interacting with the camera/video screen. 75% of the people the show with the "jersey" on are eating a bowl of nachos are just talking to Tom, Dick, or Harry next to them.

I would have three nominees. Barbell cam, bongo cam, and air guitar cam.

Honestly wouldn't be so bad if they showed people who are interacting with the camera/video screen. 75% of the people the show with the "jersey" on are eating a bowl of nachos are just talking to Tom, Dick, or Harry next to them.
The reason, of course, is that Tom, Dick, and/or Harry are 4.5 times more interesting than the stupid-ass "game" on the scoreboard.

If it makes you feel any better, the tickets for the student section are sold in Madison and they still can't get them to come to the games. It is a different culture now and the days of sell outs for the majority of games and raucous crowds may be long gone. It is certainly not only a Williams Arena problem.

If it makes you feel any better, the tickets for the student section are sold in Madison and they still can't get them to come to the games. It is a different culture now and the days of sell outs for the majority of games and raucous crowds may be long gone. It is certainly not only a Williams Arena problem.
Do you think that has anything to do with the size/modernity/sterility of the building (as compared to the old fieldhouse)? That's a pertinent question as some folks here have been talking about knocking down Williams Arena and building something bigger and more modern. Or is this a fairly new trend since Gard took over?

Do you think that has anything to do with the size/modernity/sterility of the building (as compared to the old fieldhouse)? That's a pertinent question as some folks here have been talking about knocking down Williams Arena and building something bigger and more modern. Or is this a fairly new trend since Gard took over?
They filled them all in the final 4 years. Student sections are filled at nearly all the elite programs. KU,NOVA,UVA,DUKE,KENTUCKY and even some former elites like IU and many others.

Top Bottom