Craig Smith is my vote, here’s why

Utah State another W. Down 10 at half and outscore Fresno by 16 in 2nd half. Another solid one from Smith I'd say.
It's been fun getting to know these western teams. Fresno is middle of the pack in that conference, but they have some capabilities, not the least of which is their defense. They gave USU all they could handle and made them play faster than they wanted to in order to get open looks. That led to some uncharacteristic turnovers.

One thing that doesn't get talked about enough with Utah State is their rebounding. They pretty much out-rebound all their opponents. They're fundamentally sound and tenacious. In a game like last night--not having their best shooting night against a determined opponent who was making plays and shots--I think the second-half rebounding was the difference.

It's been fun getting to know these western teams. Fresno is middle of the pack in that conference, but they have some capabilities, not the least of which is their defense. They gave USU all they could handle and made them play faster than they wanted to in order to get open looks. That led to some uncharacteristic turnovers.

One thing that doesn't get talked about enough with Utah State is their rebounding. They pretty much out-rebound all their opponents. They're fundamentally sound and tenacious. In a game like last night--not having their best shooting night against a determined opponent who was making plays and shots--I think the second-half rebounding was the difference.

They've out-rebounded every single team this season, even in their losses. That's pretty amazing.

If Smith ends up being the HC, I think it's likely he would bring Austin Hansen and Eric Peterson with him as assistants, as he did at Utah St. Both of these guys have Minnesota connections.

Hansen won co-Mr Basketball with Mike Miller in South Dakota while at Brandon Valley HS, and was a great player at SDSU. He spent his first several years coaching at MSU-Mankato then moved on and became an assistant under Nagy at SDSU. He recruited Nate Wolters there, and then Matt Mooney under Smith at USD. Mooney then moved on to start in the NCAA championship game for Texas Tech.

Peterson is a big international recruiter, and recruited Queta who will likely leave for the NBA after this season. He started as a high school coach at La Crescent, MN, coached AAU in Wisconsin and also spent some time at MSU-Moorhead.

I could care less about Minnesota ties when hiring a coach, and Smith has been my #1 target for two years just based on his resume. It's just a bonus that he and members of his staff have ties to the state.

Last edited:

I will say this: I thought Haskins made a savvy move by putting Thorson on his staff. In the time Clem was here, he recruited Minnesota very well (El Amin before he slipped off the hook, Jacobson, Pryzbilla), only slipping toward the end with a couple key misses (Bell, Sullivan). It may not be essential, but it does help to have a recruiting assistant who goes way back with people.

Utah State another W. Down 10 at half and outscore Fresno by 16 in 2nd half. Another solid one from Smith I'd say.
Very nice recovery in the 2nd half:
0HS8TDp.png

Peterson is a big international recruiter, and recruited Queta who will likely leave for the NBA after this season.
Would think that spending a year at NBA, replicating a season like Oturu, would do wonders for NBA draft prospects!

I will say this: I thought Haskins made a savvy move by putting Thorson on his staff. In the time Clem was here, he recruited Minnesota very well (El Amin before he slipped off the hook, Jacobson, Pryzbilla), only slipping toward the end with a couple key misses (Bell, Sullivan). It may not be essential, but it does help to have a recruiting assistant who goes way back with people.
You wondering aloud if whomever the pick is should try to add Thorson, even if it's Smith?

You wondering aloud if whomever the pick is should try to add Thorson, even if it's Smith?
No, just citing the example of a new coach hiring a guy with local networks, even someone he (presumably) didn't know well before coming here. Thorson was and is kind of perfect, being both a good recruiter and an excellent coach. That kind of guy.

No, just citing the example of a new coach hiring a guy with local networks, even someone he (presumably) didn't know well before coming here. Thorson was and is kind of perfect, being both a good recruiter and an excellent coach. That kind of guy.
Fair enough.

Yeah, Thorson sounds like an idea type of guy for an assistant. It's too bad there isn't a head coach that could be hired, who is from the Twin Cities, and has done well as a head coach, who is currently employing Thorson as an assistant. Oh well! :cool:

That's just it with a guy like Thorson. He brings those connections but the guy can really coach. It's not like you're just hiring some recruits brother.

Top Bottom