Craig McDonald

touchdownvikings

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, is anyone aware of whether the Gophers have heard from the NCAA concerning his waiver?

I mean it’s summer, they are off until school starts and will make their decisions when they come back. They need their time off you know.

The NCAA rulebook has a very well defined, very narrow definition for the kinds of hardship that are acceptable reasons to be granted a waiver from having to sit out a year when transferring (after your first free transfer).

Things like pregnancy, military service, and returning home to provide primary care to an immediate family member.

McD's didn't come close to qualifying for those, as far as I've seen reported. Hopefully someone can correct that if they know more.

They aren't limiting it at all, if you only transfer once.

Craig went from Iowa State to Auburn. I think he got hurt, then the coach got fired.

If he had just come here in the first place .... or did we not offer him?

To be completely honest, I am glad the NCAA is doing SOMETHING to limit transferring. Sure, it sucks when it happens to your team, but it's one of the few things that'll help the game at this point.
Agree. If you are going to allow free transfers and immediate eligibility the first time a guy transfers then it should be much much tougher to get immediate eligibility if you decide to transfer again and it should only be granted in rare cases.

Sucks if McDonald has to sit this year but as long as the NCAA is consistent (remains to be seen), I am ok with them being much tougher on second transfers.

Does he lose a year of eligibility? Or just has to sit out a year?

I believe his eligibility was denied, but the U has put together additional information and submitted an appeal.

Does he lose a year of eligibility? Or just has to sit out a year?
Pretty sure I read if the waiver was approved he would have 3 but if has to sit out would have only 2.

So it's a 'wasted' year unfortunately if he can't play.

Played as a true freshman at ISU...transfered, hurt and RS last year at Auburn...transfered, has to use of year of eligibility sitting out this year (his Soph season). Will have Jr and Sr seasons still. I think ha

Pretty sure I read if the waiver was approved he would have 3 but if has to sit out would have only 2.

So it's a 'wasted' year unfortunately if he can't play.

Played as a true freshman at ISU...transfered, hurt and RS last year at Auburn...transfered, has to use of year of eligibility sitting out this year (his Soph season). Will have Jr and Sr seasons still. I think ha
This was the way it worked before the free transfer. If you transferred you either used your redshirt year, and if you already used it, then you blew a year of eligibility. Hence the small number of transfers in the before times. Without the waiver, this is still the way it works.

Crazy it took this long.

NCAA:

giphy.gif

Wonder what the difference is between this case and UNC guys case. Do grades factor in? If they are off schedule or getting bad grades, does that factor in?

Big shot in the arm for a secondary that has been brutally toasted the past two games. Another guy with size and experience. Hope this helps. It would be fun to see opposing WRs covered ...

Wonder what the difference is between this case and UNC guys case. Do grades factor in? If they are off schedule or getting bad grades, does that factor in?
Honestly if I'm the NCAA I'm approving everyone BUT Tez Walker just to troll. Might as well have fun as a sham organization.

Thank you NCAA. Having McDonald out on the field with his experience will help the Gophers. This is much welcome news.

Top Bottom