Coyle talks Claeys extension, volleyball - Mn Daily

Iceland12

Reaction score
Coyle also discussed men’s basketball and the U.S. Bank Stadium issue.

The football team just finished 8-4 in the regular season with the first year of [head coach Tracy] Claeys at the helm. You put out that statement throwing your support behind him — what led you to that decision?

Tracy and I have talked a lot. When you go from being a coordinator to a head coach or when you go from being a deputy athletics director to an athletics director, there’s a transition you go through. I’m very appreciative and respectful of what coach Claeys and that staff has done. We’ve had eight wins. I think three out of the four years we’ve had eight win seasons, which is a great accomplishment. We’re excited to play Washington State in the Holiday Bowl and, again, I’m thankful for his hard work and I look forward to working with him.

When you put out that statement, multiple media outlets were reporting about a possible extension for Claeys. There’s some people who disagree with giving Claeys an extension. How would you respond to people who disagree with that decision?

As with any head coach, we really don’t talk about contract extensions and negotiations. I would leave it at that.

Did the football team meet expectations this year?

That’s probably a better question for the students and the coaches who are in it day in and day out … I’m excited. We’re 8-4 and some people are disappointed, and that’s great because that means we have expectations. I think that’s great that we have expectations. Again, the [team had its] third eight-win season out of four years. I think with this group over the past four years, I think we had 30 wins, which is great. I think we continue to make progress, but obviously, like volleyball, we want to compete at a high level. That’s our ultimate goal.

http://www.mndaily.com/article/2016/12/coyle-talks-claeys-extension-volleyball

But Tracy said before the year he thought this was his best team. How do you respond to THAT Mr. Coyle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But Tracy said before the year he thought this was his best team. How do you respond to THAT Mr. Coyle?

Man, I REALLY hope we win the bowl game. Then Claeys will have more wins in a season and can actually back up the oft-cited quote. It will be fun watching the Claeys Haters twist themselves into histrionics about how 8 wins is better than 9.

Coach is a rookie - this is his first full season as a head coach, and his first season with his chosen coordinators.

Coach said he thought this was the best team since he'd been here. Now they're tied for the most wins since he's been here, with one game still to play.

Coach predicted 8-10 wins. Now they have 8, with one left to play.

I reserve judgement.

Man, I REALLY hope we win the bowl game. Then Claeys will have more wins in a season and can actually back up the oft-cited quote. It will be fun watching the Claeys Haters twist themselves into histrionics about how 8 wins is better than 9.

You know they will claim that WSU isn't any good, lost to a I-AA team, just another game that should have won, etc.

Win a Trophy Game. Win a Trophy Game. When Claeys wins a trophy game, I will feel better about his prospects as head coach, and the direction of the program.

I will keep saying it - 8 wins with no Trophy Game victories is not a great season. It's OK - not great.

I'm very conflicted on this. I want to like Claeys - but I have reservations. sorry, I'm not going to lie or pretend otherwise. We have a difference of opinion on this.

People need to back off the US Bank crap. It's pretty common practice in the sports industry to invite people to a game to talk business, network etc. Most teams themselves keep a suite open to make sales during games. Not a big deal. The Strib is ****in retarded

You know they will claim that WSU isn't any good, lost to a I-AA team, just another game that should have won, etc.

Very true. The revisionist history is already in place with "we only won the games we should have won" being a common refrain. This, of course, ignores the fact that we were Vegas 'dogs to both Maryland and Northwestern.

Win a Trophy Game. Win a Trophy Game. When Claeys wins a trophy game, I will feel better about his prospects as head coach, and the direction of the program.

I will keep saying it - 8 wins with no Trophy Game victories is not a great season. It's OK - not great.

I'm very conflicted on this. I want to like Claeys - but I have reservations. sorry, I'm not going to lie or pretend otherwise. We have a difference of opinion on this.

There is a Holiday Bowl Trophy.

http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/275/files/2014/01/8055234.jpg

I am impressed with Claeys first full year as head coach. He had issues he had to tackle. He tackled them head on successfully. He integrated new staff. The new o-line coach improved the line, imho. Now, we just need a gun slinger who can run once in a while and I am sure wins will come easier. Play calling had a bit more guts and instinct behind them, making the games less predictable and more fun to watch. If I was a good football player coming out of high school, I would definitely give Minnesota consideration.

Very true. The revisionist history is already in place with "we only won the games we should have won" being a common refrain. This, of course, ignores the fact that we were Vegas 'dogs to both Maryland and Northwestern.

The bolded is hard to believe in retrospect. I knew NW, didn't remember MD being favored. I just looked it up, it looks like it ended at MD -3, but ESPN Football Power Index gave Maryland a 66% chance of winning.

Now that Coyle has opted to keep Claeys there really isn't much option besides extending. To me it was either fire or extend. Leaving him with a two year deal is just choosing to fire at a later date. The decision's been made, get the extension done. I really hope my rationale for leaning the other way was wrong and that Claeys is so successful that you can't turn your head around campus and not see a statue/painting/etc. of him. I hope he and the team get so many trophies and awards that they have to build a new wing on the Athlete's Village for them.

But I admittedly will be skeptical until they beat a ranked team (especially one that finishes ranked) and take home a trophy. Prove me wrong, Gophers!!!!

This year no trophy.

We got the quick lane bowl trophy last year...

The bolded is hard to believe in retrospect. I knew NW, didn't remember MD being favored. I just looked it up, it looks like it ended at MD -3, but ESPN Football Power Index gave Maryland a 66% chance of winning.

How many people knew Hills wasn't going to start at QB though? I don't remember hearing anything until the game started. Maryland was good when Hills played, but got destroyed when he was injured.

How many people knew Hills wasn't going to start at QB though? I don't remember hearing anything until the game started. Maryland was good when Hills played, but got destroyed when he was injured.

Yeah, Leidner really lit Maryland up didn't he. :rolleyes:

People need to back off the US Bank crap. It's pretty common practice in the sports industry to invite people to a game to talk business, network etc. Most teams themselves keep a suite open to make sales during games. Not a big deal. The Strib is ****in retarded

How dumb. You do realize the MFSA is a public org? This is a huge deal and dude, no one says retarded anymore.

I really hope we win the bowl game too. Makes Bowl Season that much better to watch. Won't change how uninspiring this season felt. I sincerely hope we're in for a different feel next year.

I really hope we win the bowl game too. Makes Bowl Season that much better to watch. Won't change how uninspiring this season felt. I sincerely hope we're in for a different feel next year.

I was telling Roll Goldy the other day that for some reason, this was the most fun Gopher season I've had in a long time. We didn't win as many games and I thought or hoped but every game was exciting and we had a lead or a decent chance to win in the second half. There wasn't a game we were overmatched and that isn't something that we've been able to say very often.

Yeah, Leidner really lit Maryland up didn't he. :rolleyes:

That wasn't the point, we knew Rhoda was starting. It's not surprising that Maryland would be favored with the combination of Rhoda and expecting Hills to start. It was night and day how different Maryland was as a team with Hills starting.

I was telling Roll Goldy the other day that for some reason, this was the most fun Gopher season I've had in a long time. We didn't win as many games and I thought or hoped but every game was exciting and we had a lead or a decent chance to win in the second half. There wasn't a game we were overmatched and that isn't something that we've been able to say very often.

Well that's true, we didn't really get blown out, although we looked REALLY BAD in the Iowa game. Just thinking back to 2 seasons ago (the one Kill got so sick in), we had a lot of the same close games that we actually pulled out. We didn't win the Wisconsin game that year, but beating Nebraska, beating Iowa, beating Northwestern, beating Michigan and giving Ohio St everything they could ask for in a game. That was a far more inspiring season to in my eyes. Anyway, let's end on a winning note here and move on to next year.

That wasn't the point, we knew Rhoda was starting. It's not surprising that Maryland would be favored with the combination of Rhoda and expecting Hills to start. It was night and day how different Maryland was as a team with Hills starting.

Do you just love being wrong?

It was a question of whether or not Hills would start, it wasn't an obvious call.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/terps/bs-sp-terps-football-advance-1015-20161015-story.html

Additionally, the line AFTER we knew Hills was out moved from Maryland -5ish to MAryland -3ish

They were still favored by all the major sports books.

Your hypothesis was wrong and dumb.

It's an incredible accomplishment.....if you don't bother to review the schedule and results.

Of course that wasn't your point. Your point was to belittle the MD victory as you do anything remotely positive TC has accomplished. But, you are just discussing a difference of opinion, you love the Gophers, and want them to succeed. Oh, and are super positive on the Basketball board.

Do you just love being wrong?

It was a question of whether or not Hills would start, it wasn't an obvious call.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/terps/bs-sp-terps-football-advance-1015-20161015-story.html

Additionally, the line AFTER we knew Hills was out moved from Maryland -5ish to MAryland -3ish

They were still favored by all the major sports books.

Your hypothesis was wrong and dumb.

How does that article prove I was wrong? It said Hills was day to day and should be ready to play against Minnesota.

Do you want to argue that Maryland was better without Hills? Good luck with that.

Of course that wasn't your point. Your point was to belittle the MD victory as you do anything remotely positive TC has accomplished. But, you are just discussing a difference of opinion, you love the Gophers, and want them to succeed. Oh, and are super positive on the Basketball board.

All I did was state a fact. You twist it into something more.

Mr. Coyle would say "win the bowl game and our coach was 100% right"

At Big Ten media day Mark Dantonio talked about having a team that could win back to back Big Ten titles.

Mr. Coyle would say "win the bowl game and our coach was 100% right"

At Big Ten media day Mark Dantonio talked about having a team that could win back to back Big Ten titles.

Well then, I know some GHers that would be very upset at MD.

Top Bottom