Coyle subsequently told reporters he is open to discussing moving the UW game to Dec. 19.

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Journal Sentinel:

Coyle subsequently told reporters he is open to discussing moving the UW game to Dec. 19. That is the date of the Big Ten title game and other crossover games.

A source told the Journal Sentinel earlier Tuesday that UW officials hoped to find some way to salvage the game.

Go Gophers!!

maxresdefault.jpg

I think Coyle understands the importance of this game to Gopher fans. I don't know if he would take the lead in making it happen, but he's certainly smart enough not to get in the way.

Just call it a Throwback Legends vs Leaders Crossover Game. Done deal.

Help me out, which Division were the Gophers in?

They could host it Christmas Eve at US Bank stadium if they needed to. The Axe Bowl....

Now if we could only find a sponsor.
Stinks there isn't any options.

Just call it a Throwback Legends vs Leaders Crossover Game. Done deal.

Help me out, which Division were the Gophers in?

Gophers are and always were legends.

DO NOT BE AFRAID TO BE A LEGEND!

Coyle subsequently told reporters he is open to discussing moving the UW game to Dec. 19. That is the date of the Big Ten title game and other crossover games.

Best idea I've heard in a long time!

Last edited:

They could host it Christmas Eve at US Bank stadium if they needed to. The Axe Bowl....

Now if we could only find a sponsor.
Stinks there isn't any options.
Seriously, this would be very cool.

And by that time, hopefully PJ has the ship righted and the all the oars in the water.

Seriously no tradition in cross divsion week orwhatever .... I can't imagine the other teams would really care if they get a slightly different match up.
The MN-Rutgers game of 2016 was epic though...

Certainly is the right thing for Coyle to say.

Sounds like both Universities want the game to happen. Goes to show just how important the rivalry is even if it's been lopsided in the past few decades.

My thought is with Alvarez behind a reschedule, it has a decent chance at happening. It makes the most sense, a the Axe game will draw more viewership and interest that week than any crossover game since Wisconsin is out of the running for the division title and both teams have played Michigan.

I was told this can’t t happen in another thread.

But seriously, smart. Only way it doesn’t happen is if:
Wisconsin or Minnesota were in title game
Or
one of the teams has Covid the week of crossover

No clue why we would reschedule to advertise for them. Be real, they would have and will pound us. This is not a real season and means nothing to anyone except teams like Wisconsin that position themselves for future nationally televised non conference games with blow outs. We should play an equal competition and get ready for next year.

That makes too much sense not to happen.
Shouldn't you be saying: that makes too much sense to happen?

When the public agrees on something 99%, it seems like decision makers can rarely come through. Hope they do!

If bowl games are iffy and/or neither Minn nor Wisc receive an invite to a high-payout bowl game ... I wonder if NCAA rules would allow (or if they could get a waiver) to just schedule the game after Dec 19 as a "post-season" game.

Reactions: TAW

The issue with cross-over week is if MN plays WI, it causes trouble on the East side.

Unless if a game is cancelled between two east teams, the result would force a rematch on the East Side between two East teams who played already.

No clue why we would reschedule to advertise for them. Be real, they would have and will pound us. This is not a real season and means nothing to anyone except teams like Wisconsin that position themselves for future nationally televised non conference games with blow outs. We should play an equal competition and get ready for next year.

We'll we're not resheduling ... that weekend isn't scheduled at all for anyone.

The issue with cross-over week is if MN plays WI, it causes trouble on the East side.

Unless if a game is cancelled between two east teams, the result would force a rematch on the East Side between two East teams who played already.
Maryland - Michigan State was cancelled. That would be the makeup game.

EDIT: Writer by a nose

My thought is with Alvarez behind a reschedule, it has a decent chance at happening.

It also probably helps that Kevin Warren is the commissioner. Not that I think he will give Minnesota or Wisconsin any special favors, but as someone who has worked in Minnesota since 2005, he understands the importance of the rivalry more than other B1G leaders might.

It also probably helps that Kevin Warren is the commissioner. Not that I think he will give Minnesota or Wisconsin any special favors, but as someone who has worked in Minnesota since 2005, he understands the importance of the rivalry more than other B1G leaders might.
Let’s not pretend the big ten doesn’t value rivalries (even of teams Like Minnesota)

They redid decisions so appease the west’s rivalries and scrapped legends and leaders.
They messed up scheduling by having one locked inter-division game every year (purdue-Indiana)
12/14 members of the big ten are not Ohio state and Michigan

Competitors want to compete. We have much to gain by beating UW.

If tOSU's Covid situation leads to them not qualifying for the Championship game (likely Indiana v Northwestern), chances to have the Axe game on championship weekend go down. According to CBS' Jerry Palm:

So, what happens if Ohio State finishes 5-0 in the regular season and does not qualify for the Big Ten title? Well, the Buckeyes would still get another game on Dec. 19 for a chance to go to 6-0. That game would likely be against Wisconsin.

If tOSU's Covid situation leads to them not qualifying for the Championship game (likely Indiana v Northwestern), chances to have the Axe game on championship weekend go down. According to CBS' Jerry Palm:

So, what happens if Ohio State finishes 5-0 in the regular season and does not qualify for the Big Ten title? Well, the Buckeyes would still get another game on Dec. 19 for a chance to go to 6-0. That game would likely be against Wisconsin.

Not sure.
I think Iowa will beat wisconsin

Top Bottom