Coyle on NIL

Mulligan

Reaction score
Very much Coyle's "AD Speak" but says enough that SON's (I think) prediction of the U hosting bake sales to fund NIL has some truth in it.

Coyle also chose his words carefully, saying the U of M will continue to make "value-based decisions" and educate athletes about NIL amid a "clunky" early implementation that has some schools moving fast to capitalize on its power to lure star players.

"People are going 75 right now and the speed limit is 55. We want to make sure we stay within the guardrails and that we do things the right way so that when we get more guidance nationally with what NIL is going to look like, we're in a good position," Coyle said. "We have 22 sports and we have student-athletes in every sport who have agreements right now."

Yikes...hopefully he finds a more aggressive approach soon. I am not a Coyle-hater (although Whelan needs to go) but a "wait and see" approach is not going to work. It will be all about catching up...again. Need LEADERSHIP here...not politics.

Yikes...hopefully he finds a more aggressive approach soon. I am not a Coyle-hater (although Whelan needs to go) but a "wait and see" approach is not going to work. It will be all about catching up...again. Need LEADERSHIP here...not politics.
I think if he had the means to pay what other schools are offering, then the approach might be different.

Coyle is honest to a fault sometimes I think. Not wrong, but maybe the spin could be a bit different here...

Pete Najarian for AD.​

He wanted it back when Coyle got hired. Think of the cash connections he could bring into the fold...

I guess I would see an AD saying he wants to make sure the programs are doing things the right way and not abusing the system by outright tampering and throwing money around is leadership. But that's just me.

We are never going to compete with the big dollar NIL schools....those that want us to are living in a fantasy land.

Don't need the job to do that. He could bring those connections now.
Yeah if dude is sitting on a ton of connections and wanted to do it, well do it.

If he hasn't just because nobody gave him a free job ... not sure that's a deal I want to make / or maybe he really can't just whip up magical money for the U...

Reminds me of John McCain running for president and saying he would find Osama bin Laden. Granted it was all rhetoric so not a serious type claim. But it just raises the question "Bro if you can do that why haven't you!?!?!?"

I don't know if Pete made any such claims about fundraising if AD, but if the idea is that dude has been waitng to be handed a job to suddenly show up with bags of money and donors ... wtf bro why not just do that? Or maybe he can't ...

Yeah if dude is sitting on a ton of connections and wanted to do it, well do it.

If he hasn't just because nobody gave him a free job ... not sure that's a deal I want to make / or maybe he really can't just whip up magical money for the U...

Reminds me of John McCain running for president and saying he would find Osama bin Laden. Granted it was all rhetoric so not a serious type claim. But it just raises the question "Bro if you can do that why haven't you!?!?!?"

I don't know if Pete made any such claims about fundraising if AD, but if the idea is that dude has been waitng to be handed a job to suddenly show up with bags of money and donors ... wtf bro why not just do that? Or maybe he can't ...
In fairness to McCain and the hypothetical AD, when you're the POTUS or the AD you have a lot more resources and authority available to you to either find bin Laden (in McCain's case) or raise funds (in the AD's case).

Gophers' AD Mark Coyle says he deals with name, image and likeness 'every hour'​

The U's top athletic administrator has been on the job for six years, but the last 27 months have brought about challenges few could have predicted.

Go Gophers!!

In fairness to McCain and the hypothetical AD, when you're the POTUS or the AD you have a lot more resources and authority available to you to either find bin Laden (in McCain's case) or raise funds (in the AD's case).
I probably should have specified that McCain also loved to say "I know where he is".

No idea why he chose that.

As for Pete I doubt he suddenly has connections because he's AD, the usual theory is that just due to his business dealings he would have them... but I don't know that we've heard much about him using them.

I don't see anything in the OP to indicate that Coyle is trying to limit the formation of NIL collectives for the U or limit how much donors are donating to such collectives and/or offering NIL deals to players.

I think largely, the school (ie Coyle) really cannot be closely involved with that stuff, at least officially, in the sense of fundraising and directing deals. As he said, they can mainly educate the players on what it is, what their (new) rights are, and how to protect themselves and look for solid deals.

EDIT: maybe I was wrong on the bit that schools cannot be closely involved, after all!
https://gopherhole.com/boards/threa...el-baker-as-gm-to-aid-players-with-nil.106323

Last edited:

Top Bottom