Coyle: "If everybody comes back we'll be a top-25 team preseason next year"

But this one isn't about the fans. He says the goal is to get to the NCAA Tournament next year, this year's non-conf schedule is being viewed as one of the main reasons the current team most likely won't get to the Tournament this year. So it would stand to reason then that if the goal is to make the tournament next year the non-conf schedule is going to have to improve to make that possible.

He should have said that then. Not, "we'll be a top 25 team so nobody will want to play us"

It's a ridiculous comment.

I would have until his comments. It's absurd. It's not that difficult to schedule a decent OOC schedule. I'm not even asking for that much, just not to be the worst in the country.

It was a dumb comment.
Not to Mnvcguy. All part of the coyle plan.

He should have said that then. Not, "we'll be a top 25 team so nobody will want to play us"

Public speaking has never been one of Coyle's strong suits.

I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, that he understands the non-conf schedule will have to be better next year and it will be.

If the schedule comes out next year and it is just as weak as it was this year I will be right there with everyone else blasting it as a big mistake for a team with tournament aspirations.

I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, that he understands the non-conf schedule will have to be better next year and it will be.

If the schedule comes out next year and it is just as weak as it was this year I will be right there with everyone else blasting it as a big mistake for a team with tournament aspirations.

I'm not willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. He simply can't say that. Our staff has pretty clearly shown they either aren't capable of putting together a OOC schedule or are afraid too. It just gives them an excuse if they schedule like crap again. We've only played 5 top 100 NET teams under this regime, 2 of them were scheduled under Pitino(H&H with Miss St.) one was because the B1G scheduled it for us(ACC/B1G challenge) and then luckily getting another one in an MTE final.

Our OOC SOS's are as follows:

2022 - 303
2023 - 311
2024 - 361

And now, excuses for Coyle!!!!!

😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣🤣

I'm not willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. He simply can't say that. Our staff has pretty clearly shown they either aren't capable of putting together a OOC schedule or are afraid too. It just gives them an excuse if they schedule like crap again. We've only played 5 top 100 NET teams under this regime, 2 of them were scheduled under Pitino(H&H with Miss St.) one was because the B1G scheduled it for us(ACC/B1G challenge) and then luckily getting another one in an MTE final.

2022 - 303
2023 - 311
2024 - 361
Guess we will see what happens with the 24-25 schedule. I'm betting that it will be better and setup in a way to hopefully help the team qualify for the NCAA Tournament. But like I said, if it isn't, I will be right there complaining with the rest of you.

I just choose not to make assumptions about something that hasn't even happened yet and might not.

2022 - 303
2023 - 311
2024 - 361

Which website did you use for that? Kenpom says otherwise. Not to mention Coyle literally said the nonconference schedule needs to be more competitive in the same podcast as the quote you're writing 500 words on.

Guess we will see what happens with the 24-25 schedule. I'm betting that it will be better and setup in a way to hopefully help the team qualify for the NCAA Tournament. But like I said, if it isn't, I will be right there complaining with the rest of you.

I just choose not to make assumptions about something that hasn't even happened yet and might not.
You will be right there, making excuses about new players, time to gel, etc.

I'm really not thinking about the scheduling aspect of the comment. I'm more interested in the rest of the statement.

Coyle cannot promise that everyone comes back next year - unless he is handing out the NIL....
and Coyle cannot promise that the Gophers will be a top-25 team. those things are out of his control.

Here's a guy who rarely talks - and now he's coming out and making predictions and talking about "other teams won't want to play us."

Look - Coyle has every right to set expectations for the programs he oversees. I just think that those expectations should be kept in-house. I don't know what this public statement accomplishes or what it is meant to accomplish.

IMHO Coyle is better off - and the Gopher athletic department is better off - when Coyle keeps his mouth shut.

I'm really not thinking about the scheduling aspect of the comment. I'm more interested in the rest of the statement.

Coyle cannot promise that everyone comes back next year - unless he is handing out the NIL....
and Coyle cannot promise that the Gophers will be a top-25 team. those things are out of his control.

Here's a guy who rarely talks - and now he's coming out and making predictions and talking about "other teams won't want to play us."

Look - Coyle has every right to set expectations for the programs he oversees. I just think that those expectations should be kept in-house. I don't know what this public statement accomplishes or what it is meant to accomplish.

IMHO Coyle is better off - and the Gopher athletic department is better off - when Coyle keeps his mouth shut.
He's not a coach, why we wouldn't he hype up one of his teams and coaches?

No, this is exactly what Coyle should say at this point in the game. He expects a NCAA team and a top 25 team next year and he should. He also wants to fill the Barn and that's the type of talk that will help do it. Fin ally, you are going to attract more NIL funds if the local money guys think the product will be good. Build some hype!

Mark Coyle and Joe Pohlad should give a joint seminar on public speaking and PR. They're so good at it.

This would be par for the course for this program to have those guys leave.
Minnesota has to have the most college bball players leave to go to Europe or non-NBA places I've ever seen.
Lose those three and it will be over with fast and back down to the bottom...
If all 3 leave, Payne and Mitchell probably go too rather than stick for another year 0.

No, this is exactly what Coyle should say at this point in the game. He expects a NCAA team and a top 25 team next year and he should. He also wants to fill the Barn and that's the type of talk that will help do it. Fin ally, you are going to attract more NIL funds if the local money guys think the product will be good. Build some hype!
I think people are more mocking the bit where he said it will be hard for them to find opponents.

If all 3 leave, Payne and Mitchell probably go too rather than stick for another year 0.
Agreed, this is why when people call that kind of thing happening a success for the program I don't know what the hell they are talking about.

Leaving to be a first round NBA draft pick is one thing. Leaving for Euro leagues, G leagues and maybes is quite another.

Agreed, this is why when people call that kind of thing happening a success for the program I don't know what the hell they are talking about.

Leaving to be a first round NBA draft pick is one thing. Leaving for Euro leagues, G leagues and maybes is quite another.
If Christie were leading us to a B1G title/Sweet 16/Final Four you can call it a success. Leading us to an NIT and then bouncing after one year would hardly be a success.

I took the quote as raising expectations......and saying that teams don't want to play us is different than saying that he's unable to schedule tougher NC opponents. NOW, if the NC schedule is similar to this year, he needs to take some heat. There's no reason to not be in a preseason tournament combined with the B10/ACC challenge combined with 1-2 tougher opponents. Time will tell.

This feels like a plea to the current roster more than anything.
That's how I took it. And doesn't necessarily mean he has info that anyone is leaning towards leaving. Maybe his way of saying "we see how good you can be, stick together".

That's how I took it. And doesn't necessarily mean he has info that anyone is leaning towards leaving. Maybe his way of saying "we see how good you can be, stick together".
Yep, you out in the work, why throw it away.

Which website did you use for that? Kenpom says otherwise. Not to mention Coyle literally said the nonconference schedule needs to be more competitive in the same podcast as the quote you're writing 500 words on.

These are according to the NET. Which is on the ncaa team sheets the selection committee uses.

Sure, it's going to be better, but how much better is the question? It's not that hard to put together a decent OOC schedule. Pitino had no problem doing it pretty much every year.

Sure, it's going to be better, but how much better is the question? It's not that hard to put together a decent OOC schedule. Pitino had no problem doing it pretty much every year.
So again, you are asking a question that can't be answered about a schedule that hasn't even been made yet but you assume is going to be bad.

I'm willing to wait and see what the schedule looks like before assuming the worst.

This feels like a plea to the current roster more than anything.
This was my take on it too. It sounded more like trying to sell the guys that are here and get them to stick together for what could be a good year next year. I did not listen to the podcast, but was it possible the quote was just making the statement that no one will want to play us, like other teams will know we are good, not so much that they won't want to schedule the gophers, but more respect our roster more?

I took the quote as raising expectations......and saying that teams don't want to play us is different than saying that he's unable to schedule tougher NC opponents. NOW, if the NC schedule is similar to this year, he needs to take some heat. There's no reason to not be in a preseason tournament combined with the B10/ACC challenge combined with 1-2 tougher opponents. Time will tell.
Absolutely. If we want to be legit tournament contenders in 24-25 the schedule will have to be better. And if we can see that then it is safe to assume that the powers that be can also figure it out.

Getting into a decent pre-season tournament would be a great first step. Will be very surprised if the 24-25 non-conf schedule is not better but I guess time will tell.

How much worse could it get?

Not much.

Has there been anything solid that suggests Hawkins is looking to leave after this season? Are people just speculating this because he has had a good year?

I like that Coyle notices this.

Maturi, for instance, never said anything like that. Never once said anything specific. Always just general vague platitudes.

Has there been anything solid that suggests Hawkins is looking to leave after this season? Are people just speculating this because he has had a good year?
Ben made the comment in a post game press conference about Hawkins working on things that would help him next year with the Gophers.

Outside of that there was the recent tweet I guess that suggested that Hawkins and Garcia will discuss future plans after the season.

Would be very surprised if Hawkins wasn't back next year but I guess in this current mess of a college sports landscape anything is possible.

Top Bottom