Coyle: "If everybody comes back we'll be a top-25 team preseason next year"

Ben made the comment in a post game press conference about Hawkins working on things that would help him next year with the Gophers.

Outside of that there was the recent tweet I guess that suggested that Hawkins and Garcia will discuss future plans after the season.

Would be very surprised if Hawkins wasn't back next year but I guess in this current mess of a college sports landscape anything is possible.

Hawkins would have to sit out if he transferred again, right?

Hawkins would have to sit out if he transferred again, right?
Not sure if he would be in a position to grad transfer. Plus the transfer rules seem to be changing all the time so who knows at this point.

Hawkins is a huge key in whatever success this team is going to have next year.

They said they were going to wait until the season is over to talk about it, but DG said he would decide quickly.
Impression I got was that deciding quickly would lean towards committing back to us. That may be my optimistic side.

"definitely a possibility" is a reassuring answer lol
Yeah, would have been great if they had both said definitively that they were coming back but that just isn't how things seem to work these days.

Gonna be some tense times once the season ends until guys make their declarations as to what they plan to do next year.

Yeah, would have been great if they had both said definitively that they were coming back but that just isn't how things seem to work these days.

Gonna be some tense times once the season ends until guys make their declarations as to what they plan to do next year.
Culture will keep players at Mn.

Plus, reassurances given in that situation aren't reliable anyway. Isaiah Washington said immediately after the end of his last season here that he was coming back even though few following his situation closely actually believed that.

Is Coyle to be trusted if he really believes that? There's no way the Gophers are ranked preseason next year no matter who returns.

Well, technically, he said "if everybody returns." Since that's not going to happen, he can easily say that his contingency didn't occur.

If all of the starters return and Johnson actually does manage to get some impressive transfer recruits this summer, I suppose it's possible that the Gophers could get some preseason votes. Hard to imagine getting in the top 25 though.

the way the courts are getting involved, there are literally no rules now - at least no rules that the NCAA is willing to enforce.

every season is its own entity. the entire team could return, or no one could return. most likely result is somewhere in the middle.

But I would put the odds of "everyone coming back" at about 25% tops. out of the 360-odd teams in D1 basketball, almost every team will have some player movement - some more than others depending on the circumstances.

Which makes Coyle's statement look even worse - because a P5 AD should understand he's saying something that has a very small chance of actually happening.

Culture will keep players at Mn.
Is Coyle to be trusted if he really believes that? There's no way the Gophers are ranked preseason next year no matter who returns.
If all of the starters return and Johnson actually does manage to get some impressive transfer recruits this summer, I suppose it's possible that the Gophers could get some preseason votes. Hard to imagine getting in the top 25 though.
Winning the NIT and returning everyone can get you into the Preseason Top-10. Haskins did it and was #9.

There's a possibility that Garcia, Christie, Payne, Hawkins, Mitchell, Fox, etc. can keep improving and still go on a run this year.

You don't have to be overly optimistic. But some of you simply sling mud.

The 8 direct attempts to bait @MNVCGUY into a forum fight could be fetish territory. But I must say, I am impressed with the persistence and dedication. ;)
No baiting. Culture is the solution to teams winning, and retaining players. At least that's what's been said here. And, I've been told here that cbj has developed a magnificent culture for the men's bb program.

Top Bottom