Coyle gets my props!

Feel bad for Claeys and staff, but some passion for this program left with Kill. That's who we wanted. Claeys was an extended interim coach.

Not everyone gets to be a winner at this level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last time we did a coaching search, Kills name came up, but we were hardly wowed by that TubbySmith style hire, I recall

Coyle has been an AD for a few years at mulitple places. When he was hired here, he wanted "his guy" as the head coach. That is his right. How he went about that process is where he lost me.
He came here with a first year head coach. He could have been honest with Tracy from the start and told him he wanted a more dynamic coach and would probably make a change at the end of the year. During the season he should have helped him more in dealing with the Sept. 2nd incident. When the season came to an end against Wisconsin, he could have said we are making a change. Then went out and got Fleck.
He showed no respect to Tracy, the other coaches and especially not to those players that played in the Holiday Bowl.

We will never know for sure it TC would have improved this team.

There is more excitement in the program now though and that is good. I look forward to seeing what Coach Fleck can bring to Gopher Football. Ski-U-Mah.
Do you think Fleck would have left his undefeated team in the middle of the year? I for one don't.

so, you think that Claeys was the only one making decisions around the sexual assault? Interesting. Claeys got fired, you're right about that. However, the problems that have plagued the University of Minnesota did not begin or end with Tracy Claeys. An AD with no moral compass and no integrity. Curious to see how that translates to improving the culture. I've been around people like this before. I wouldn't say it made any situation better. The problem is still with us and most likely will be even if Kaler and Coyle are fired -- although both of them should be packing right now.

The culture in major revenue college sports is not great. So I don't think that Claeys is the problem. He just is so tone deaf that he can't be part of the solution. Teague was a problem. There have been problems on nearly every team for years. But things are changing. In the era of social media and cell phones with video cams and cameras....stuff that was more easily swept away now gets out to the public eye. And the public finds it offensive. So these things will probably continue...especially because these men keep videoing, texting, tweeting etc. Will Coyle improve the culture...my friend who has been in the athletic department for a couple decades thinks so and he is certainly an improvement on Teague. Claeys certainly should have had the option to kick any of the players off the team who he deemed deserving. He spoke for himself....tweeted for himself...and time and time again, showed his inability to see the perspective of the victim. Did he start the problems? No. Did he solve them...no. Did he kick Djam off the team for involving a recruit? No (and this is oh so revealing).

That's my point! It has to be a commitment from the President combined with the ability of the AD. Geesh.

Please don't pretend I am agreeing with you because I am not. What I am saying is almost any dip**** with a check book can hire a top coach.

Do you think Fleck would have left his undefeated team in the middle of the year? I for one don't.

You are too stupid to discuss this with. Please think back to Tim Brewster being fired mid-season and us hiring Jerry Kill after he played in his bowl game. It is a big word, but here you go - Interim.

Coyle could have fired after Wisconsin (easily done and really hard to argue the decision) and had an (wait for it) Interim Coach for the bowl game and then proceeded to hire his guy after he (Fleck) finished his season.

The culture in major revenue college sports is not great. So I don't think that Claeys is the problem. He just is so tone deaf that he can't be part of the solution. Teague was a problem. There have been problems on nearly every team for years. But things are changing. In the era of social media and cell phones with video cams and cameras....stuff that was more easily swept away now gets out to the public eye. And the public finds it offensive. So these things will probably continue...especially because these men keep videoing, texting, tweeting etc. Will Coyle improve the culture...my friend who has been in the athletic department for a couple decades thinks so and he is certainly an improvement on Teague. Claeys certainly should have had the option to kick any of the players off the team who he deemed deserving. He spoke for himself....tweeted for himself...and time and time again, showed his inability to see the perspective of the victim. Did he start the problems? No. Did he solve them...no. Did he kick Djam off the team for involving a recruit? No (and this is oh so revealing).

And that is why he was fired and should have been. Coyle and Kaler could have had more of a role in doing many of those things as well - and should have. When they did finally realize they couldn't sweep this under the rug and stepped in it wasn't to lead, it was to cover their asses. And instead of leading the failed coach and team through this situation and protecting both the reputation of the still not guilty players, the alleged victim and the University (I get that the slanted EOAA report looks pretty damning, but their process is not complete. They have made recommendations not delivered the verdict) they instead branded ten kids as rapists. While several of those involved have clearly indicated they did engage with the victim, the evidence against some has not and we now know at least two of them did not participate and were not present or directly involved yet they have been painted with this broad brush. Fairly? Legally?

My guess is the size of the checks the U ends up cutting coming out of this fiasco may help determine just how good the "leadership" that Mr. Kaler and Mr Coyle provided.

To top this off, they've lied to the public and Kaler nearly undid the fix that two of the regents managed to bring to the situation by simply communicating the players to end the boycott.

Coyle's performance at the press conference after firing Claeys was over the top and embarrassing. It was a weak asses cover my butt and my bosses but that lacked truth and integrity.

So yeah, I agree. Claeys should have been fired for all the reasons you say. But blaming the private and ignoring the generals is really short sighted and embarrassing. If we continue to allow these clowns to play a role in running he school, nothing changes.

And that is why he was fired and should have been. Coyle and Kaler could have had more of a role in doing many of those things as well - and should have. When they did finally realize they couldn't sweep this under the rug and stepped in it wasn't to lead, it was to cover their asses. And instead of leading the failed coach and team through this situation and protecting both the reputation of the still not guilty players, the alleged victim and the University (I get that the slanted EOAA report looks pretty damning, but their process is not complete. They have made recommendations not delivered the verdict) they instead branded ten kids as rapists. While several of those involved have clearly indicated they did engage with the victim, the evidence against some has not and we now know at least two of them did not participate and were not present or directly involved yet they have been painted with this broad brush. Fairly? Legally?

My guess is the size of the checks the U ends up cutting coming out of this fiasco may help determine just how good the "leadership" that Mr. Kaler and Mr Coyle provided.

To top this off, they've lied to the public and Kaler nearly undid the fix that two of the regents managed to bring to the situation by simply communicating the players to end the boycott.

Coyle's performance at the press conference after firing Claeys was over the top and embarrassing. It was a weak asses cover my butt and my bosses but that lacked truth and integrity.

So yeah, I agree. Claeys should have been fired for all the reasons you say. But blaming the private and ignoring the generals is really short sighted and embarrassing. If we continue to allow these clowns to play a role in running he school, nothing changes.

Thanks for taking the time to write this. I completely agree. But am worn out explaining how sad it is that MC and EK let this situation spin completely out of control. Like most, I'm excited about the energy around the Fleck hire. But it does not excuse the collateral damage that the administration allowed to get here. All involved... The fans, the players, TC, the coaching staff and the young lady involved in the incedent deserved a more elegant process and resolution. And it's not even over yet.

Coyle's terrible communication skills with the players led directly to the boycott - which led directly to Claeys' tweet.

So Coyle used a situation THAT HE HELPED CREATE as an excuse to fire the FB coach. And if you think that Coyle or his staff wasn't having back-channel communications with Fleck's agent, you're hopelessly naive. All of Coyle's BS at the press conference about how "we had to wait until after the bowl game to make a decision" is a lie - pure and simple. The decision was made weeks ago. They just waited until after Fleck's bowl game to make the announcement.

Coyle may in fact have made a good hire - but that does not absolve him or Kaler of the responsibility for all of their misdeeds and inaction. At a time when the athletic department was in crisis, the AD was missing in action. And then, he emerges from his hole and proceeds to blame everyone but himself for the problems in the department. A real profile in courage.

Coyle's terrible communication skills with the players led directly to the boycott - which led directly to Claeys' tweet.

So Coyle used a situation THAT HE HELPED CREATE as an excuse to fire the FB coach. And if you think that Coyle or his staff wasn't having back-channel communications with Fleck's agent, you're hopelessly naive. All of Coyle's BS at the press conference about how "we had to wait until after the bowl game to make a decision" is a lie - pure and simple. The decision was made weeks ago. They just waited until after Fleck's bowl game to make the announcement.

Coyle may in fact have made a good hire - but that does not absolve him or Kaler of the responsibility for all of their misdeeds and inaction. At a time when the athletic department was in crisis, the AD was missing in action. And then, he emerges from his hole and proceeds to blame everyone but himself for the problems in the department. A real profile in courage.
Well put. I'd buy you a coffee for writing something I wanted to, but could not do as well. Thanks.

So true. I hope he can in some way atone for that fiasco. No matter how successful Fleck is, Coyle will be culpable for how bad the situation got prior to his hiring.

There's going to be people who will never be happy with Coyle or anything he does. They can't see past the 9-4 record and comprehend that 9-4 is an underachievement (seriously, look at the schedule and tell me they shouldn't have done better!), can't comprehend that we're #14 in Big Ten recruiting, and yet somehow, they believe TC would increase the win totals in upcoming seasons - seasons that have a more difficult schedule. 9-4 is great for Gopher football, I guess, but 11-2 would have been better and that's exactly the record he should have had this season.

They have their mind set on this theory that TC was our savior because he's a 'Jerry Kill guy'. NOTHING will change their mind. They believe Coyle is a slimeball who needs to be fired. They can't see the forest through the trees.

Let them wallow in their misery and hopefully they'll find their safe place. While they're doing that, Gopher football is moving forward without 'em.

Coyle is a slim ball that needs to be fired. You can't build a new culture on a foundation that lacks integrity.

A good hire in this case is like your comments on a 9-4 season. It's great, but It does not cover for Coyle's complete and total lack of leadership or for his role on turning the fire of 9/2 into an inferno. He and Kaler will get what's coming to them.

Agree totally with your sentiments. Coyle's incompetence in communication in a crisis situation (which should be basic 101 for his job) is at the center of this scandal that has diminished the prestige of our University. He needs to go!

I think the only way Coyle and Kaler get fired over the terrible way they handled this situation is if the players sue the U and win. Those millions will surely be based on the ineptness of Coyle/Kaler and will be their demise. If not, we are stuck with these guys unless Fleck is a total bust or their are more/continued off the field problems (hope not to both).

So yes, I hope the players take millions off the U's insurance company and Coyle and Kaler are sent packing and Fleck is the best coach in school history and wins several National Championships!

I agree that Coyle and Kaler should get credit on this hire. As for ends justifying means... that's generally not me. But here is the way I see it:

In the past there has been fan base bitching about the administrations lack of support for football. We've carped about no leadership in the athletic department. We've complained about the search committee format and the bureaucrats involved. We've complained that nobody ever seems to really wants to coach at Minnesota. We've bitched about lack of funding and lack of decisiveness.

So now we have Coyle, who was faced with a crummy, no-win situation. You can disagree with the fallout on the sex "scandal" thing. But he made a decisive decision, acted quickly, and moved forward. he implemented his plan (yes he obviously had one), got the U to pony up big $, and he hired his #1 choice. This was completed in less than a week.

He has my respect for all of this. Leadership sometimes means pissing people off.

I agree totally. This is Leadership, which contrary to the "leadership model" that has evolved over the last 30 years. A leader is not your friend. It's not about "feelings," it's about results.

No one here could have even remotely understood or handled the situation.

Communication? I'll bet the communication was there, but people only hear what they want to hear. I don't think this thing was "mishandled"...it just wasn't "liked" by those involved.

Coyle has done an admirable job.

I agree totally. This is Leadership, which contrary to the "leadership model" that has evolved over the last 30 years. A leader is not your friend. It's not about "feelings," it's about results.

Communication? I'll bet the communication was there, but people only hear what they want to hear. I don't think this thing was "mishandled"...it just wasn't "liked" by those involved.

Leadership is unpopular at times. Coyle and kaler demonstrated piss poor leadership with their lies and deceit.

Still working over there huh? :cool:

If Maturi or Mega Tongue could spend $3.5 mil per year on a FB coach, they would have hired a stud too.

No sh#t.
This investment is totaling about 30 million dollars. I don't know how he got them to sign off on it.

What "results" has Coyle gotten thus far? All he's done is hired someone. And, thus far during his time at the University, displayed almost none of the qualities that most would associated with a good leader.

You are correct Crosby, Leadership sometimes means pissing people off.
When the incident happened on Sept. 2, A leader would have stepped in and suspended those involved. If Cleays didn't do that, then Coyle should have. Coyle bungled the whole thing even more than Claeys did, then used the situation as a reason for the firing. That is not being a leader, that is doing things to try to cover your own ass.

You are correct Crosby, Leadership sometimes means pissing people off.
When the incident happened on Sept. 2, A leader would have stepped in and suspended those involved. If Cleays didn't do that, then Coyle should have. Coyle bungled the whole thing even more than Claeys did, then used the situation as a reason for the firing. That is not being a leader, that is doing things to try to cover your own ass.

We have a winner

It cost Coyle over $10,000,000 to replace a 9 - 4 coach. Also,
the team had over a 3.0 GPA.

I hope his next move is less expensive.

Also, Wisconsin, Nebraska and Michigan play here in 2017.
I predict ticket sales will be higher.

Coyle is a slim ball that needs to be fired. You can't build a new culture on a foundation that lacks integrity.

A good hire in this case is like your comments on a 9-4 season. It's great, but It does not cover for Coyle's complete and total lack of leadership or for his role on turning the fire of 9/2 into an inferno. He and Kaler will get what's coming to them.

No they won't. They'll be just fine.

I don't find any character in calling people names. I don't find it hard to believe that the AD and President had a plan, and implemented it.

I find it troubling that a program has fans that condemn every person that has moral character, follows through on their values and that has the support of the law of the land, internal policy, and has committed citizens who want 52 percent of the population be protected from assault. I think that needs to be applauded and not torn down.

A Gopher player danced down the sidelines on the way out due to a targeting foul. Not the only time it happened this year. I find that type of disrespectful behavior out of character for a well disciplined and team with good character. For me, that is the only thing I would require to dismiss Claeys. I have supported Claeys as our coach, but I think that the AD was correct to replace him.

I don't find any character in calling people names. I don't find it hard to believe that the AD and President had a plan, and implemented it.

I find it troubling that a program has fans that condemn every person that has moral character, follows through on their values and that has the support of the law of the land, internal policy, and has committed citizens who want 52 percent of the population be protected from assault. I think that needs to be applauded and not torn down.

A Gopher player danced down the sidelines on the way out due to a targeting foul. Not the only time it happened this year. I find that type of disrespectful behavior out of character for a well disciplined and team with good character. For me, that is the only thing I would require to dismiss Claeys. I have supported Claeys as our coach, but I think that the AD was correct to replace him.

IF Mark Coyle and Eric Kaler moved to this based on their moral character, why did it take until December when they had the police report before everyone else, and knew what was going on in the EOAA report well before December? The only reason these individuals acted was to protect themselves from NOT doing anything when they could have/should have. Then when they did do something the broke all kinds of things, like Moral Character, Condunct codes, and some other things, like, the law.

This process will play out and the players that deserve punishment will get it. Hopefully if the reports are true, at least two of the players who have been tarnished both unfairly and rather publicly by these two men of high moral character in your words will be exonerated. I'm sure both Mr. Kaler and Mr. Coyle will apologize.....and the University will write a couple of rather large checks because of these great "leaders" and their actions.

There are no heroes in this story. There are several sets of villains. Keep telling yourself things will change at the U if Kaler and Coyle stick around, but right now, PJ's building his castle on a foundation of sand.

Your story of convenience is just that...a story. Your kind of phony is the worst.

People are just butt hurt about some perceived 'savior' of Gopher football being let go. These individuals live in a self-created fantasy world. Hopefully they'll find their safe place but if they don't let them live within their angry world and let's move on. Coyle isn't going anywhere. Gopher Football is moving forward and I for one can't wait!!

Congrats Fleck on becoming the next Gopher Football coach and congrats Coyle for turning this athletic department into a cleaner program!!

Top Bottom