Court got a new paint job!

die hard gopher

Reaction score
I posted this tweet in another thread and didn’t realize it until I saw a comment but the court got a pew paint job. The perimeter is painted maroon!
The court last year just took so much energy away from the place, made me feel cold and depressed and a lack of energy.

It is still the gray color but they finally gave the outside a maroon paint job. Made zero sense why it wasn’t already like that. Very happy.

Last edited:

Fixed it for ya: the perimeter is painted Iowa State red.

The seats are maroon. Look at the handrails right next to the court, those are maroon.

Really baffling and disappointing that the athletic dept won’t admit this blunder and fix it.

The seats are maroon. Look at the handrails right next to the court, those are maroon.

Really baffling and disappointing that the athletic dept won’t admit this blunder and fix it.
I like the current shade.

It's a lost cause. The AD has decided they want the Barn's "maroon" to evolve to this red-ish hue over time.

Look at the center-court scoreboard. Same red-ish hue. Eventually the seats and handrails will be painted this color, too.

It's definitely closer to Iowa State than Minnesota.....but it's also not as pure red as Iowa State. It's too bright to be considered "cardinal". You can tell there is a brownish hue to it. Honestly....the seats and the handrails are a darker shade of maroon too. I've got lots of apparel that isn't 100% consistent when it comes to the logo....and I can see why they wouldn't want the border to be as dark as the seats and the rails.

See these logos for reference. Definitely a hint lighter than logo #1....but not enough to complain about. And who knows how it looks in person compared to in a picture.

I will be filing this under "non-issue".

ca1dcdaf2bccacac7176270217389ab3.jpg

1605455882506.png

For what little it's worth. The top "banner" on the GH message board layout is the "correct" hue, in my opinion. If you bring it down to hover over the Goldy picture you posted, it seems to match perfectly:
dLHqhMA.png

Now bring it to hover over the court picture:
R4K3EvS.png

I don't know ... the handrails still look pretty spot on. Court is too red.

For what little it's worth. The top "banner" on the GH message board layout is the "correct" hue, in my opinion. If you bring it down to hover over the Goldy picture you posted, it seems to match perfectly:
dLHqhMA.png

Now bring it to hover over the court picture:
R4K3EvS.png

I don't know ... the handrails still look pretty spot on. Court is too red.

The top banner is darker than that first logo. And I agree that the court color is a bit light. But the seats and the rails are definitely darker.

Fair enough. My opinion on the matter ain't worth the space on the server that these words are being stored on.

This is going to be controversial, but whatever color we paint it is the color of the school

because we are the school

Better, but they need to darken the rest of it or it will still look awful on TV.

Something good happens in 2020, Finally!

I went to to the paint store with photo on my cell phone, and the worker told me cell phone images were pretty worthless in judging colors. He suggested I get a chip of the paint and bring it back.

I took three "sample" squares back that I thought were close and only 1 of 3 was close and it was too light. I learned that this is a tougher than imagined thing.

If you look at the Viking uniforms over the years you cannot be surprised by the difficulty as well.

Assuming there is a real change, I like the "browner" maroon much better than the "Iowa State" redder maroon, that the 1977 MB #41 Jersey I have in my dresser seems to resemble. Of course Iowa State used to have a McDonald's color scheme and started to drift towards USC and the U of M sometime ago. Right now we seem to be closer to Arizona State than USC.

Yes bring back the goody gopher dribbling the basketball at center court. It’s an old building and the court should be dark and dank like the building.
I'm totally down with this!

We should even get some high end "fake" water damage staining on the wood flooring! Just to add to the authenticity.

But the board warping would be too much, although I'm not against painting the floor to make it look like it's warped even though it isn't to further our home court advantage.

I absolutely hate being ISU North.

Reminds me of the debate when the turf was added to TCF for the first time and comparing the colors to the seats.

Maroon and gold is a rough combo to work with. You end up with arenas full of yellow, red, and purple, too.

I'm sure the University Maroon has a Pantone color match and I would guess that they have standard color mixes with all the major coating companies so I don't know how they could get this wrong unless that was what they wanted.

Strangely, that color block doesn't seem to exactly match the banner on that web page.
If you take a screenshot, it confirms your eye. The banner is the official "UMN Maroon" (RGB #7A0019), while the thumbnail of the document must have some kind of shading/filter applied to it for effect, as that upper block shows as RGB #990131. A solid "shade" lighter (I don't know the proper term).

Interestingly, the banner/footer/buttons/etc. maroon used on Gopherhole is not an exact match either. It uses RGB #8A0822, but the difference is imperceptible to my eye.

Here is a 400x225 (16:9) patch of #7A0019:
XZVRHBO.png

Top Bottom