Could we have challenged

Go4rushing

Reaction score
When Peppers returned the punt in the end zone and was tackled in the end zone and everyone screamed safety, COULD we have challenged him being able to be the first to touch the ball after stepping out of bounds. He clearly steps out of bounds then is the first to touch it in the end zone. Everyone made such a deal out of it possibly being a safety, which it was NOT. however, should it have been based on him touching the ball first after being out of bounds. Thanks for your help?

I believe the rule is different when it comes to a fumble. Someone can correct me, but I believe that only applies to a pass. For a fumble, as long as you establish yourself back in the field of play (saying for instance, that this happened on the 15 yard line instead of in the end zone) you can be the first to touch the ball.

Like I said though, someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Referee said the punt was called a muffed punt and the rule is once it entered the end zone it was ruled a touch back. The reason people thought it was a safety was, #A. people thought he touched the ball in the field of play and live it did look like it touched his hand (replay was inconclusive) that is why Peppers #5 reacted and went after the football to recover it, he thought he touched it too. #B. The other reason people thought it was a safety is because Peppers made a football move with the football, after he picked the ball up in the end zone he started running sideways and then forward like he was trying to advance the football out of the end-zone. Because he made a football move many of us thought the rule was because he tried to advance the ball and was tackled in the end zone that it was a safety.

If you were there live you also saw that the side judge did recognize that Peppers went out of bounds because he threw his hat down on the sideline. Because they ruled he didn't touch it and that it entered the end zone, is why they ruled it a moot point, would not have mattered if he recovered the ball and ran it back for a touchdown the referees on the field interpreted the rule to be a muffed punt in to the end zone and the play was ruled a touch back and a dead ball. I think because they ruled it that he didn't touch it, and it was a dead ball, called a touch-back that there was no penalty because even though #5 Peppers stepped out of bounds and touched it, that it didn't matter once the ball was in the end zone.

The more egregious and realistic call missed on the field of play was the fact that the Michigan defense was off-sides on the final play of the game and clearly in the neutral zone on the freeze frame photo a lot of us have seen, on the replay they could have thrown the flag for off-sides on the review but chose not to. In my opinion if Minnesota was off-sides on that play on defense and the roles were reversed the officials would have thrown the flag after the fact.

The way the rule was explained on the ESPN broadcast, the ruling would have been the same even if Peppers touched it. The momentum of the punt carried the ball into the end zone , and once the ball touches the ground in the end zone on a punt or kickoff, it is dead and a touchback is called.

The way the rule was explained on the ESPN broadcast, the ruling would have been the same even if Peppers touched it. The momentum of the punt carried the ball into the end zone , and once the ball touches the ground in the end zone on a punt or kickoff, it is dead and a touchback is called.

That is an incorrect explanation of the rule I think.

If he touched it it is a live ball. If the momentum carried it into the endzone and he recovers it is a touchback. If the gophers recovered I'm pretty sure it would have been a touchdown.

Related, when the refs reviewed the final play (Leidner sneak), shouldn't they have ruled that like 5 Michigan guys were lined up in the neutral zone? Or is that not part of the review?

Related, when the refs reviewed the final play (Leidner sneak), shouldn't they have ruled that like 5 Michigan guys were lined up in the neutral zone? Or is that not part of the review?

It has already been discussed, the picture that is circulating looks bad but take a good look at where the ball is in relation to where the LOS is, Moore moved that ball forward which is a big part of why the Michigan guys appear to be offsides.

I think there are two possibilities,

1) he didn't touch it, in which case it's dead and a touchback as soon as it hits the ground in the end zone (I don't recall but assume it did

2) he did touch it, in which case it's dead as soon as he regains possession because neither team can advance a muffed punt. It doesn't matter that he tried to run it out

In #2 the Gophers would have scored had they recovered the ball in the end zone.

And, as I said in the other thread, if they'd ruled it illegal for Peppers to have touched it after going out of bounds, how would it have affected the game? Michigan proceeded to go 3 and out, and punt from their 13. Minnesota then drove down and kicked a FG.

And, as I said in the other thread, if they'd ruled it illegal for Peppers to have touched it after going out of bounds, how would it have affected the game? Michigan proceeded to go 3 and out, and punt from their 13. Minnesota then drove down and kicked a FG.

It's a 5 yard penalty. Maybe starting from the 15 MI changes the play calls to be more conservative. Maybe they throw a different pass and it's intercepted. Maybe Harbaugh gets upset and gets an unsportsmanlike penalty to move the ball back to the 7 1/2 and the Gophers get a safety and run the ensuing kickoff back for a touchdown.

You honestly never know how a seemingly insignificant penalty could affect the game. Chances are your presumption of not at all is probably correct. But you never know.

As far as the original question, I believe had it been illegal touching (not sure it was) they may have been able to challenge to get the 5 yard penalty, but I'm fairly certain two feet and or a knee, elbow or whatever touched in bounds before he touched the ball, making it a legal touch. A muffed punt into the end zone is a touchback, so it didn't matter if he touched it or not. Only a safety if it was possessed and fumbled. Only difference whether he touched it or not is the Gophers could have recovered it for a TD. And he could not advance the ball out of the end zone on a muff.

Here's a really good article that cites the actual rules on the subject: http://bloguin.com/thestudentsectio...in-focus-two-end-zones-two-sets-of-rules.html

In the end, as much as I was furious at the time, I'm pretty sure they got the call right.

In the end, as much as I was furious at the time, I'm pretty sure they got the call right.

I work with.a guy that refs college amd high school. He said they got that punt call right. Seems like a weird rule but it is the rule.

Top Bottom