Could Power 5 Conferences Leave NCAA In the Future?

4four4

Reaction score
You Tube Video

A Minnesota Board of Regent has come out and said this idea may be coming in the next few years.

They could leave or NCAA could give in to their demands.

They could and from they're own playoff, TV deal and recruiting rules. Pay players, let them have endorsements, etc.

I think we all knew which Regent this was before watching.

It certainly could happen but I don't think it's very likely. The coaches might want to pay the players but I'm sure the people in charge of balancing the already tight budget with player payments feel differently and they're the ones who would be making the decisions.

This also ignores what states and the NCAA would do in response. I doubt the NCAA would let them split for football and still include them in other sports like normal. I doubt state governments and taxpayers would continue to subsidize universities that have enough money to pay players.

Subsidizing public universities is done to keep tuition down for all students.

Paying players comes from athletic revenue, which is separate from general university revenue.

The only people who will be suggesting that paying players should result in the end of subsidies, are simply those who are looking for any reason to end public higher education in general.

I don't think it will happen. The power 5 conferences would then have to create their own governing body to regulate themselves against cheating and that they all agreed with and I don't think any of them will see it as worth the trouble.

I don't think it will happen. The power 5 conferences would then have to create their own governing body to regulate themselves against cheating and that they all agreed with and I don't think any of them will see it as worth the trouble.
This is true.
For the power 5 to split they’d have to split and agree to the same set of rules. Then set up a bureaucracy to enforce the rules.

to do this...initially it’d need to be title 9 complaint and nearly unanimous in support from power 5 schools.

far more likely they keep the NCAA they’re already in charge of and the NCAA changes policy to match the wants and needs of its members.

to change the NCAA rules would essentially only require a majority. to get People to leave and start a new thing would require almost unanimity initially from the institutions that join.

This is true.
For the power 5 to split they’d have to split and agree to the same set of rules. Then set up a bureaucracy to enforce the rules.

to do this...initially it’d need to be title 9 complaint and nearly unanimous in support from power 5 schools.

far more likely they keep the NCAA they’re already in charge of and the NCAA changes policy to match the wants and needs of its members.

to change the NCAA rules would essentially only require a majority. to get People to leave and start a new thing would require almost unanimity initially from the institutions that join.
And risk everyone pulling out of the NCAA and then disagreeing and getting stuck in limbo.

If the NCAA is going to try to sanction big schools and prevent them from playing in the tournaments, then you could see some momentum for this.

The only thing that really matters, for the P5 (or whatever Power structure there is), is that every sticks to the same set of rules. It doesn't matter as much what the rules are.

The other important aspect will be TV revenue. If the only way to continue to grow TV revenue is for a slate for 12 (or more) P5 only games per season, with perhaps a coalition between the P5, then that could be on the table.

Subsidizing public universities is done to keep tuition down for all students.

Paying players comes from athletic revenue, which is separate from general university revenue.

The only people who will be suggesting that paying players should result in the end of subsidies, are simply those who are looking for any reason to end public higher education in general.
Maybe on paper but it's all the same organization. The athletic department is a part of the University of Minnesota.

The taxpayers are already paying about $10 million per year for TCF Bank Stadium and students are paying over $1 million dollars per year for the stadium as it is. The funding and student fee were approved with the current amateur format and if the athletic department chooses to make the football team professional, I can almost guarantee people will be questioning why taxpayers and students are subsidizing a professional sports team belonging to an organization they also subsidize elsewhere with little oversight. I'm sure that's why the chair of the board publicly disagreed with Hsu's comments.

Taxpayers paid for the Vikings new stadium, a fully professional team that has also greatly benefited from other subsidies (infrastructure, deals for new practice facility, etc.).

Again, if we want to have public higher education where students in the state can get a world class education for a fraction of the cost of private schools, then we'll keep subsidizing tuition.

Taxpayers paid for the Vikings new stadium, a fully professional team that has also greatly benefited from other subsidies (infrastructure, deals for new practice facility, etc.).

Again, if we want to have public higher education where students in the state can get a world class education for a fraction of the cost of private schools, then we'll keep subsidizing tuition.
And the Vikings don't own that stadium. It's owned by a commission appointed by the governor and Minneapolis mayor. It also brought the Super Bowl and the Vikings aren't getting hundreds of millions of dollars per year from the taxpayers.

It wouldn't come to the state pulling funding but it would strain the relationship and there would likely be changes to keep the funding. At the very least the state probably wouldn't fund anything for the U that doesn't directly tie to education ever again.

The U is fighting for funding as it is. Last year they got about $45 million less than they asked for. This year they'll probably get even less than that. Even if it's not directly pulling funding, anything that strains the relationship is going to make that extra money harder to get.

And the Vikings don't own that stadium. It's owned by a commission appointed by the governor and Minneapolis mayor. It also brought the Super Bowl and the Vikings aren't getting hundreds of millions of dollars per year from the taxpayers.

It wouldn't come to the state pulling funding but it would strain the relationship and there would likely be changes to keep the funding. At the very least the state probably wouldn't fund anything for the U that doesn't directly tie to education ever again.

The U is fighting for funding as it is. Last year they got about $45 million less than they asked for. This year they'll probably get even less than that. Even if it's not directly pulling funding, anything that strains the relationship is going to make that extra money harder to get.
I don't see any reason in the slightest for why you feel this way. I don't think it would be like that at all.

I don't see any reason in the slightest for why you feel this way. I don't think it would be like that at all.
I'm not sure why you can't see the difference between US Bank Stadium/Target Field and TCF Bank Stadium.

US Bank Stadium and Target Field wouldn't have gotten the funding if the Vikings/Twins owned the stadium. There's a decent chance US Bank Stadium wouldn't have gotten the funding without the talk of the Vikings leaving town even without the Vikings owning the stadium.

The current situation was created knowing that the U has amateur athletics. They almost certainly wouldn't have gotten the same funding for the stadium had they been the second best pro team in town. The state can't easily undo the funding but if something changes, especially if the U is part of bringing that change and not just a school that got dragged along, I really doubt the state will just forget about it.

Top Bottom