Could ND Be Forced By Others To Big Ten?

BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR

If things get really ugly the Big Guys could get together and form their own Super Conference.
How much TV money would be left over with the following conference:

Texas, Alabama, Florida, Oklahoma, SoCal, ND, Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, Miami, Tennessee, LSU, Nebraska, Texas A&M, Stanford, and Florida State.

Not much.

If things get really ugly the Big Guys could get together and form their own Super Conference.

Texas, Alabama, Florida, Oklahoma, SoCal, ND, Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, Miami, Tennessee, LSU, Nebraska, Texas A&M, Stanford, and Florida State.

Not much.

How the hell did you get Stanford onto that list?

How the hell did you get Stanford onto that list?
I needed another West Coast team and chose Stanford due to the fact they have the overall best sports programs in the country. The other questionable one would be Texas A&M. Again here is the probable need for a second team from Texas. Hard to argue with the other 14 on the list, with the possible exception of Tennessee.

I needed another West Coast team and chose Stanford due to the fact they have the overall best sports programs in the country. The other questionable one would be Texas A&M. Again here is the probable need for a second team from Texas. Hard to argue with the other 14 on the list, with the possible exception of Tennessee.

Yea, but a move like the one you describe (which I think is unlikely) wouldn't be about the whole athletic dept. It would be about football.

If the football schools bolt from the Big East, what remained of the conference might not be a very appealing basketball home for Notre Dame.

Not much.

Replace Texas and Florida with Wisconsin and Iowa....then it's a possibility.

Yea, but a move like the one you describe (which I think is unlikely) wouldn't be about the whole athletic dept. It would be about football.
The scenario I described would happen only if a complete meltdown occurred in all the BCS conferences. Hopefully that will not happen as it would likely destroy College athletics. My preference would be that the Big Ten add only Notre Dame or Pitt and stop at 12 members. Obviously that is not going to happen, since Nebraska has already been invited.

How does this sound as a plausible, reasonably attractive scenario?
1. Nebraska joins Big Ten=12 teams.
2. Big Ten lands Big East team, say Rutgers, allowing them to add Missouri to the west division. Now there are 14 teams, staying with the necessary even number.
3. Then the Big Ten adds Pittsburg, destroying the Big East, forcing ND to the Big Ten. To even out the east/west divisions, you simply move a team in the center of the conference to the west.
The Big Ten goes to 16 teams and expands its tv area both east and west while staying fairly true to its geographical center.
Thoughts?

How does this sound as a plausible, reasonably attractive scenario?
1. Nebraska joins Big Ten=12 teams.
2. Big Ten lands Big East team, say Rutgers, allowing them to add Missouri to the west division. Now there are 14 teams, staying with the necessary even number.
3. Then the Big Ten adds Pittsburg, destroying the Big East, forcing ND to the Big Ten. To even out the east/west divisions, you simply move a team in the center of the conference to the west.
The Big Ten goes to 16 teams and expands its tv area both east and west while staying fairly true to its geographical center.
Thoughts?

Wouldn't ND be the team to move west?

In your scenerio (before adding pitt and nd)
West: MN, IA, WI, ILL, MO, NE, NW
East: PSU, OSU, UM, MSU, IU, PU, Rutgers

Pitt of course would go east. ND would then be geographically west of the eight in the east. would you move one of indiana or purdue west but break up that rivalry. michigan state, but seperate them from michigan. would notre dame join if they couldn't play osu and mich every year? Lot of variables.

Top Bottom