Could J.C. Hassenauer re-open his recruitment if Casher ends up at 'Bama?

BleedGopher

Reaction score
If Casher ends up at Alabama, would they take two centers in the same class? Could JC be a candidate to move positions, or would he reopen his recruitment?

@gopherhole: Would love to see @JCHassenauer reconsider #Gophers now that Joshua Casher decommitted from Auburn & could end up at #RollTide.

Go Gophers!!

I don't see that as a likely scenario. Cashier is rated the #1 center and Mayes Is rated the #5 center. JC is rated the #6 center. JC knew going in that there would be really good players at Bama. I don't think he is afraid of the competition.

I don't see that as a likely scenario. Cashier is rated the #1 center and Mayes Is rated the #5 center. JC is rated the #6 center. JC knew going in that there would be really good players at Bama. I don't think he is afraid of the competition.

Yeah, I don't think JC was going to shy away from competition. Alabama gets great players every single year, he knows that.

However, I think it's highly unlikely that Mayes stays at C. You rarely see a C with his size (6'5" 330 lbs (already)). I think everyone projects Mayes to be a college G. Casher and JC both seem perfectly suite for C. So I'm not quite sure that the competition at C will be the same here with Mayes as it would be at Bama with Casher. That said, I think you're right, JC wouldn't have picked Bama if he was going to shy away from competition. I hope he switches his commitment, we could really use him.

Mayes is rated the #2 center in the nation on scout

Mayes also wanted to come to the gophers from the start. Which is a plus.

I'd take JC if he changed his mind though. Then let the chips fall wherever they may.

However, I don't see it as very likely that he would change his mind, although getting offered by your homestate school is an honor, so is getting offered by a perennial power-house like 'bama.

I think he made his choice already, and another recruit won't likely change it.

Sent from my PLAYSTATION PHONE using tapatalk

but if Casher commits there might be a chance that Alabama will tell JC that they only want one center and encourage him to decommit

but if Casher commits there might be a chance that Alabama will tell JC that they only want one center and encourage him to decommit

I don't see it as likely. But I see your point. And I've heard bama does stuff like that all the time, but I still think it would be a terrible long shot.

Sent from my PLAYSTATION PHONE using tapatalk

It seems so unlikely as to be a waste of fairy dust to even wish for. Hassenauer is a very desirable recruit, not some on-the-bubble project. Alabama isn't going to suggest that he leave.

I don't see it as likely. But I see your point. And I've heard bama does stuff like that all the time, but I still think it would be a terrible long shot.

It seems so unlikely as to be a waste of fairy dust to even wish for. Hassenauer is a very desirable recruit, not some on-the-bubble project. Alabama isn't going to suggest that he leave.

I call it the "Isaiah Dahlman Effect". Some kids that could possibly start right away in a lesser program are more than happy to be in a big program.

J.C has been a monster on the camp circuits this summer playing against some of the top recruits (top 100 players) in the nation. Alabama does waste their "takes" when they accept commitments. Period. I think 247 accurately reflects his beast status as he is the #1 center in the country and a top 125 player grading out at 95 according to them -- ahead of Jeff Jones. If I had to choose between Mayes or J.C from a completely neutral standpoint, I would take J.C no questions asked. So yes, the gophers better hope for some reason he backs out of his commitment.

This article really spells out how underrated he was coming out of Minnesota. Up 565 spots on 247 and expected to move up to a 5.9 when the next rivals update hits.

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2013/07/center_of_attention_alabama_co.html

J.C has been a monster on the camp circuits this summer playing against some of the top recruits (top 100 players) in the nation. Alabama does waste their "takes" when they accept commitments. Period. I think 247 accurately reflects his beast status as he is the #1 center in the country and a top 125 player grading out at 95 according to them -- ahead of Jeff Jones. If I had to choose between Mayes or J.C from a completely neutral standpoint, I would take J.C no questions asked. So yes, the gophers better hope for some reason he backs out of his commitment.

This article really spells out how underrated he was coming out of Minnesota. Up 565 spots on 247 and expected to move up to a 5.9 when the next rivals update hits.

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2013/07/center_of_attention_alabama_co.html

Yet 3 months ago everyone viewed him as our 3rd best option on the O-line, well below Mayes and Ragnow.:cool:

This isn't the same thing as having two pocket passer QBs. Having two really good interior lineman prospects isn't a big problem.

Why? Sounds like just another day at the office to me.

Not sure I'm following you, whatever your logic in that statement was, but he was winning reps against Da'shawn Hand who is the #1 player in the country at Nike's The Opening. He also took home MVP honors for best offensive lineman, which included 5 stars and numerous high-end 4 star recruits. Not ripping on Mayes at all, but I feel like most on this board really have no idea how high end J.C actually is.

Not sure I'm following you, whatever your logic in that statement was, but he was winning reps against Da'shawn Hand who is the #1 player in the country at Nike's The Opening. He also took home MVP honors for best offensive lineman, which included 5 stars and numerous high-end 4 star recruits. Not ripping on Mayes at all, but I feel like most on this board really have no idea how high end J.C actually is.
How is that relevant if he doesn't want to be here?

@gopherprof

@gopherhole: Would love to see @JCHassenauer reconsider #Gophers now that Joshua Casher decommitted from Auburn & could end up at #RollTide.

Relevance.

That is one person unconnected to the program wishing that something would happen. I would love to see Jadeveon Clowney transfer to Minnesota.

Ha... the last and only Minnesotan to letter at Alabama was some dude in 1925. Any of the old-timers remember him?

William "Bill" E. Buckler, an offensive guard from St. Paul, was the last Minnesotan to letter at Alabama. He was a member of Alabama's first national championship team in 1925, which served as his final season in Tuscaloosa. Buckler, who passed away in 1979, logged seven years with the Chicago Bears, starting 51 games.

Minnesota's JC Hassenauer, Colorado's JK Scott to join exclusive geographic company at Alabama

Not to take anything away from him as a player, but this is a classic case of a player rankings being dictated by who recruits them. Without the Bama offer he most likely would never have been as highly ranked. Part of the ridiculous fallacy of the "expert ranking" system.

Not to take anything away from him as a player, but this is a classic case of a player rankings being dictated by who recruits them. Without the Bama offer he most likely would never have been as highly ranked. Part of the ridiculous fallacy of the "expert ranking" system.

I understand where you are coming from but in this case it's simply not true. He won best lineman award at the opening beating out 5 star offensive lineman in the process. He bested da'shawn hand who is the #1 player in the country in 1 v 1's . He raised his ranking by proving himself against the best of the best. He obviously wanted to prove himself and in the process even raised awareness to head scoutj.c shurburt of 247 that minnesota needs to be scouted better

I understand where you are coming from but in this case it's simply not true. He won best lineman award at the opening beating out 5 star offensive lineman in the process. He bested da'shawn hand who is the #1 player in the country in 1 v 1's . He raised his ranking by proving himself against the best of the best. He obviously wanted to prove himself and in the process even raised awareness to head scoutj.c shurburt of 247 that minnesota needs to be scouted better

Would of loved to have seen J.C. commit to the Gophers but knew that Bama was his dream offer. We are still looking pretty good with Connor Mayes. Check out the links where both were involved in combines/challenges:

http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1458085

http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1385366

+1 and why confirmed offers always weigh more in my book than star ratings. I couldn't care less what ESPN, Scout, 247, or Rivals ranks a kid other than the perception helping the program. The reality is I want to know what coaches think of the kid.

I didn't say he wasn't good enough to be rank that high, I said he wouldn't be ranked that high without the offer from Bama. A player from the Midwest doesn't get the same rankings as a player from the south. It is a bias that also elevates the souther school class rankings. Of course this has nothing to do with how the player will be drafted by the NFL, if you prove yourself in college you will get drafted no matter where you go to school.

I agree with you, when watching some of the clips of JC from the opening he definitely proved himself and I think would have seen an improvement in his rankings no matter what college he was going to.

I said he wouldn't be ranked that high without the offer from Bama. A player from the Midwest doesn't get the same rankings as a player from the south.

You contradicted yourself almost entirely in consecutive sentences. If they were going to pick a player to give an unwarranted rankings bump to, why would they pick a kid from Bumf*ck MN instead of 3-star Alabama commits from FL or GA? There's even a 2-STAR (audience gasps) from LA who's been committed to Alabama for almost a month longer than Hassenauer. When should he be expecting his unwarranted 4-star ranking?

It is a bias that also elevates the souther school class rankings. Of course this has nothing to do with how the player will be drafted by the NFL, if you prove yourself in college you will get drafted no matter where you go to school.

It has everything to do with it. The SEC doesn't get artificial recruiting rankings, they win the recruiting wars and have the highest-rated classes because they get the best players. Most of the best HS players come from the South, and many of them go to SEC schools (and win national titles), and many of those end up in the NFL, often drafted highly. People can't believe that it's just that simple, so they make up cockamamie stories about "recruiting bumps" and other nonsense to explain away why their respective conference is getting its ass handed to it by the SEC in virtually every aspect.

Hopefully the lesson from Hassenauer is that Kill is recruiting better players than the recruiting rankings are giving us credit for. Case in point being that 2 months ago Hassenauer had 2 offers: the U and Vanderbilt and he was close to committing to us. If he had decided he didn't want to hit the camp circuit this summer and stay home, people would have viewed him as a lightly regarded recruit and people would have yawned over him. Now that he camped and got an Alabama offer, he's considered the greatest MN O-line recruit since Seantrel. Who is to say that Jones, Elmore, Mayes, Ragnow, etc, etc wouldn't have earned offers as well? This is the imperfection with ratings: some kids don't care about them and don't feel the need to attend all the summer football camps. If they are out of sight, they are out of mind with regards to the "gurus" who generate the rankings.

A player from the Midwest doesn't get the same rankings as a player from the south.

Boy, tell that to Jashon Cornell. It would sure be nice to get a commitment from that underrated, lower ranked recruit from the 2015 class.

Top Bottom