Cosgrove and Lee Will Have Our Defense Ready For The Challenge!

Well, take your pick; They won it outright in 2004 and split it in 2003. I believe the quote is from 2004 though.

I don't consider 2003 valid. The whole reason they went to the BCS model was to decide 1 national championship. Screw what AP had to say about it.

And aren't they going to have to vacate 2004? I hope.

I don't consider 2003 valid. The whole reason they went to the BCS model was to decide 1 national championship. Screw what AP had to say about it.

And aren't they going to have to vacate 2004? I hope.

That is false. The purpose of the BCS was to match #1 and #2 up in a bowl game. The BCS has absolutely nothing to do with avoiding split championships. The BCS made no agreement with the AP poll that that winner of the BCS game be the AP champion, and schools made no agreement to reject the AP championship.

The AP championship is as valid as it was when the AP awarded the NC to Minnesota.

Which would you rather have, the BCS trophy or the AP designation?

Doesn't matter. There are still two national titles. (Not a "designation")

I wasn't trying to start a flame war or anything. I just think that the AP award is BS (post BCS inception, 1998).

Personally, if the Gophers were awarded the BCS trophy, and some other team received the AP, I wouldn't care because I think it is ridiculous to consider a team a national championship if they didn't compete in the 1 vs. 2 game.

I wasn't trying to start a flame war or anything. I just think that the AP award is BS (post BCS inception, 1998).

Personally, if the Gophers were awarded the BCS trophy, and some other team received the AP, I wouldn't care because I think it is ridiculous to consider a team a national championship if they didn't compete in the 1 vs. 2 game.

As Deon Sanders would say, I'd rather have "BOTH."

You have to look at the guys already hear along with the transfers that will be available during the '11 Spring and Fall. It is an exciting puzzle to put together but it is amazing how well it is starting to fit. Keep in mind, every player on a great team does not have to be 3,4 and 5 star players coming out of high school. But yes, I am anticipating the Gophers to field one of the best defenses in the Big Ten in '11. Guys like Beal will solidify the well developing talent we already have. And I just think you are wrong about the coaching staff. You are definitely underestimationg Cosgrove and Lee and how effective they are together. Moreover, Coach Hill does a fantastic job building lean athletes with great football power and quickness. His training translates very well in aggressive defensive play. Look at what he has done with Carter and Watkins; they went from 165 and 187 to 185 and 200 lbs respectively and they have gotten even faster. Also, they don't look like they have an once of fat on them. Pay attention to the LBs: Singleton, Cooper, Reeves, Rallis and Hill; they are all extremely powerful looking and fast. Like Pete Carrol said to his USC National Championship team just before the game, "TEAMS WIN." I am suggesting to you that we are building a strong defensive squad as a whole.

You talk as if the other Big Ten schools do not have a good cohesive coaching staff to go along with better athletes. You said the gophers would have a top 3 defense in 2011, so who do you have ahead of the gophers? I think they would have a difficult time finishing top 3 in a western division in 2011 with Iowa, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Penn State much less top 3 in the whole Big Ten from a defensive ranking.

Do you mean the gophers will be top three in defense in their division in 2011 or in the big ten? I just don't see that happening at all as they are not bringing in enough elite level athletes in comparison to some of the other programs and they also do not have defensive coaches that have proven that they can build or maintain a consistent elite level defense.

Programs like Iowa and Wisconsin have shown you don't need a roster full of elite players to win and even dominate on one side of the ball. I also think you're under-estimating the talent on defense that we have right now. Cooper, Tinsley, Sharpe, Carter, Hageman, Gregory-McGhee, Garin, Edwards, and Beal are all pretty dang good athletes. I don't know for sure if we'll be top 3 in defense in 2011 but I think we have the talent to be that good. We'll see what happens.

This is another indicator of a troubling side of Doogie's fandom. He LOVES offense, craves it, is obsessed with it. It bothers me about his writing, because basically if the game isn't exciting, it's a failure in his mind. It's got to be an NFL thing from his years at KFART.
BTW Leach would not come here for many reasons, lack of regional recruiting speed, weather, low profile program, MONEY!, and pretty much it's known he's going to Maryland after Friegen is canned this year. He's good buds with the CEO of Under Armor who's a big Maryland alum donor.

As for the D, back on topic,
Just what exactly hasn't been good about our D the last few years, I've seen them play their hearts out, play like their hair is on fire, put up really great games for two seasons under Brewster. This is maybe one of the very few things that has been said and delivered. You should believe because you've seen it already. No reason to think it will drop off. If you really want to check out last year's D coming in, Lawrence was not a full timer in 08, Tripplett was a special teamer, Campbell was back but had switched positions the previous year. Sherels and Simmons were back, so was Theret, Royston hadn't started though, Small and Brown were back but the DE's weren't rock solid starters in 08. That's 6 returning STARTERS, and a bunch of unknown/part timers in their first full gig. Not a big leap to where we're at now.

money isnt the issue-sure this was web site clearly states the numbers are from 2007, but the numbers/rankings havent changed much.

http://www.sportsnewsandscores.com/...o-classify-division-i-schools-after-2010.html

Top Bottom