Corruption: Fiesta Bowl Spending and Donations Questioned

There is some talk on BIG XII boards that the Feista Bowl is in real danger of losing their BCS spot. The most likely bowl to take their spot is the Cotton Bowl it seems. Remember Jerry Jones has more of a hand in the dealings now that the Cotton Bowl is played at Jerry's Palace. With the NFL lock-out on going, I'm sure Jerry would be up for other future revenue streams also.

Ha! A healthy dose of Jerry Jones isn't exactly what I would proscribe to fill a void created by some massively sleazy activity. But, given the current state of college football, it would make sense.

Ha! A healthy dose of Jerry Jones isn't exactly what I would proscribe to fill a void created by some massively sleazy activity. But, given the current state of college football, it would make sense.

Yeah, that would be like appointing Saddam Hussein to replace Quaddafi in Libya (overlooking the minor inconvenience that Saddam is taking a dirt nap).

I hope the IRS jumps in this clown's brown matter. Seems to me he'll be spending some time in Club Fed. My only regret was that it wasn't the azzclown director of the Alamo bowl. For all the times he fugged us over there had to be a suitcase full of cash involved (particularly the year the Spartans got picked over us).

This is the type of thing that could trigger a federal investigation into the whole BCS system (not here to argue the merit of such an investigation, just saying I could see it happen). As a result, if I were the head of the BCS, I'd make a big example of the Fiesta Bowl and blow the whole thing up to show some standards and ethics (ha!).

The funny thing is NO ONE is surprised it happened. The Bowl system is incredibly corrupt. I'd be surprised if there wasn't a bowl with kick-backs, renegade bowl executives, unmanaged accounts, etc. When something makes absolutely no sense that it exists given the alternatives in the market place (i.e. a playoff), there are payoffs and kick-backs all over the place.

It is truly remarkable how sleazy this thing is. If you have a few free moments and don't mind sorting through some legal mumbo jumbo check out the pdf file that has the results of the investigation. Violation of campaign finance laws aside it is remarkable how few internal controls the Fiesta Bowl had. Junker was having his personal American Express bill paid every month by the bowl with the idea that his personal expenses would be backed out and he would reimburse the bowl. Of course anytime someone challenged him on expenses he would blow up and the bowl didn't always get reimbursed.

Some of my favorites included the bowl paying for Junker's 50th birthday party at Pebble Beach to the tune of tens of thousands of dollars and Junker being reimbursed $1200 for a trip to a Phoenix nudie bar, because, in his words athletes were coming to town and were likely to frequent such establishments, and he had to check them out. Also he talked business with his security people there so it was a legit expense.

Stories like this really drive home how much college athletics has become a slave to money. However, its not surprising that this happens in a culture in which the NCAA allows Ohio St. to use ineligible players in the Sugar Bowl and Cam Newton to play in the national championship game even though his dad participated in a brazen attempt to get money from boosters on behalf of his son. It wouldn't surprise me if this type of spending was simply par for the course in the bowl culture.

Top Bottom