Correct me if I'm wrong

Stanford would definitely get passed over by the Sugar or Orange Bowls, but they've got the Rose Bowl on lockdown if it's Oregon vs. TCU/Boise in the NCG.

The scenario I see playing out (Auburn loses to Alabama but wins the SEC, and MSU is left out):

NCG - Oregon vs. TCU/Boise St.
Rose - Wisconsin/Ohio St. vs. Stanford
Sugar - Auburn vs. Wisconsin/Ohio St.
Orange - ACC vs. TCU/Boise St.
Fiesta - Big 12 vs. Big East

A problem with this, however, would be if TCU is in the NCG, and the Sugar Bowl takes an 11-1 Big Ten team with the first at-large selection. Would the Orange Bowl take 12-0 Boise State to face the ACC champion if that champion is Virginia Tech? As entertaining as that game was, bowls hate rematches of regular season games. This is where an 11-1/10-2 LSU or 10-2 Alabama would jump ahead of undefeated Boise State.

I could see a one loss LSU possibly (although unlikely) jumping a Boise State. I don't think there is any chance (congressional subpoenas would be sent out before the games are played) if a any two loss team jumped an undefeated team.

I could see a one loss LSU possibly (although unlikely) jumping a Boise State. I don't think there is any chance (congressional subpoenas would be sent out before the games are played) if a any two loss team jumped an undefeated team.

If the above scenario played out, I would give a 10-2 LSU/Alabama a 25% chance of jumping undefeated Boise. If LSU is 11-1, make it 90%.

There are at least two dozen ways to avoid that scenario playing out, starting with the very real possibility that Boise passes TCU in the BCS standings. In the interest of keeping a second SEC team out of the BCS, that's what I'm hoping for.

If the above scenario played out, I would give a 10-2 LSU/Alabama a 25% chance of jumping undefeated Boise. If LSU is 11-1, make it 90%.

There are at least two dozen ways to avoid that scenario playing out, starting with the very real possibility that Boise passes TCU in the BCS standings. In the interest of keeping a second SEC team out of the BCS, that's what I'm hoping for.

I think an Auburn victory over Alabama followed by a loss to South Carolina and continued negative press from the Cam Newton situation might be enough to have only one SEC team (3 loss South Carolina) in the BCS bowl picture.

I'd love to see Boise State stomp Wisconsin by about 3 touchdowns on a national stage......

+1

the Rose is the last bowl to pick for the BCS this year so if one of the other bowls picks the NC then the Rose is open to choose by tradition. If Boise or TCU goes to the Rose there will not be a sell out and the Rose will lose money. The Rose has stated they want to opt out of the BCS and remain a B10/Pac10 game.

the Rose is the last bowl to pick for the BCS this year so if one of the other bowls picks the NC then the Rose is open to choose by tradition. If Boise or TCU goes to the Rose there will not be a sell out and the Rose will lose money. The Rose has stated they want to opt out of the BCS and remain a B10/Pac10 game.

The Rose is never the last bowl to pick for the BCS because they don't pick at-large teams - it is in the contract that they will be Big Ten vs. Pac-10 every year. They only way that changes is if they lose the B10 or P10 champ to the NCG, and in that instance, the Rose gets first choice since they lost one of their anchor teams. In keeping with tradition, they'll take the B10 or P10 runner-up, provided that team is eligible for a BCS bowl (ranked in the top 14).

If the Rose ends up with Boise or TCU, they definitely won't lose money. The Sugar Bowl turned a $11.6 million profit when Utah played there.

Odd that the "contractual obligation" does not stipulate that if the conference chompion is in the NC game, that the conference runnerup should fill in - thus keeping it a Big Ten/Pac10 affair.

Odd that the "contractual obligation" does not stipulate that if the conference chompion is in the NC game, that the conference runnerup should fill in - thus keeping it a Big Ten/Pac10 affair.

If the Rose Bowl had their way, that's what it would read.

Stanford would definitely get passed over by the Sugar or Orange Bowls, but they've got the Rose Bowl on lockdown if it's Oregon vs. TCU/Boise in the NCG.

The scenario I see playing out (Auburn loses to Alabama but wins the SEC, and MSU is left out):

NCG - Oregon vs. TCU/Boise St.
Rose - Wisconsin/Ohio St. vs. Stanford
Sugar - Auburn vs. Wisconsin/Ohio St.
Orange - ACC vs. TCU/Boise St.
Fiesta - Big 12 vs. Big East

A problem with this, however, would be if TCU is in the NCG, and the Sugar Bowl takes an 11-1 Big Ten team with the first at-large selection. Would the Orange Bowl take 12-0 Boise State to face the ACC champion if that champion is Virginia Tech? As entertaining as that game was, bowls hate rematches of regular season games. This is where an 11-1/10-2 LSU or 10-2 Alabama would jump ahead of undefeated Boise State.

Here is the current BCS projection from Stewart Mandel at CNNSI.com. Of course it does not address a scenario where Auburn loses...

Current BCS forecast
Each week, I'll update my projected BCS lineup (as necessary) based on the latest week's games. For my projections for all 35 bowl games, click here.

Title game: Oregon vs. Auburn
Rose: Wisconsin vs. Boise State
Fiesta: Nebraska vs. Pittsburgh
Orange: Virginia Tech vs. TCU
Sugar: LSU vs. Ohio State

There, now. Boise and TCU both get a home. The Sugar Bowl gets its Big Ten glamour team (and a rematch of the LSU-Ohio State national title matchup there three years ago), the Orange Bowl gets a top five team and everyone (except Stanford and the Fiesta Bowl) goes home happy.
Unless of course Oregon or Auburn loses, in which case the Boise/TCU fight will be for more than just a BCS berth. Or unless the Orange Bowl, with its Big 8 ties, elects to go with the loser of a possible Nebraska-Oklahoma State Big 12 title game, which both teams could enter 11-1. The Huskers and their traveling horde are getting a bid somewhere. You can book that.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20.../11/14/auburn-cam-newton/1.html#ixzz15V7lvBjH

My apologies for lumping you in, you are a false positive then.

My gut feeling is that most of the posters who want to see Iowa and Wisconsin destroyed in bowl games are the same people who complain about lack of respect for the conference.

I agree that USC (in the rose bowl) and SEC in the national championship games of the recent past have contributed the most to the perception that the BigTen as a whole is too big and slow to compete with the truly elite teams in the nation. Whether we like it or not as gopher fans Wisconsin's win last year over Miami helped to erase that perception ( I know they aren't elite, but they are considered a speed team).

I cheer for everybody but Wisconsin and Iowa in their bowl games. I'm a Minnesota fan, not a Big Ten fan. The last thing I want is the two teams we compete with head-to-head the most for recruits to be seen in a positive light.

They only way that changes is if they lose the B10 or P10 champ to the NCG, and in that instance, the Rose gets first choice since they lost one of their anchor teams. In keeping with tradition, they'll take the B10 or P10 runner-up, provided that team is eligible for a BCS bowl (ranked in the top 14).

Actually, if Oregon is in the NC game, the Rose is obligated to take the highest-ranked BCS-eligible non-AQ team (presuming, of course, that they are not in the NC game also). If TCU/Boise makes the NC game, this obligation will carry over to next season and the Rose will be free to pick any at-large school (which, as you said, would probably be Stanford). This temporary provision will last until 2014, or until a non-AQ team plays in the Rose Bowl.

http://www.bcsknowhow.com/new-rose-bowl-selection-process-explained

Top Bottom