Correct me if I'm wrong

MaxyJR1

Reaction score
I heard that Rose Bowl has to take the High NQ team for the rose Bowl if a Big Ten or Pac 10 team is in the title game. That would mean Wis/MSU/OSU playing against TCU or Boise State. It would be fun to see how a Big Ten team stacks up against one of these teams. Not sure what would happen if Oregon played the Big Ten Champ for the title. Who would play in the Rose Bowl then?

I heard that Rose Bowl has to take the High NQ team for the rose Bowl if a Big Ten or Pac 10 team is in the title game. That would mean Wis/MSU/OSU playing against TCU or Boise State. It would be fun to see how a Big Ten team stacks up against one of these teams. Not sure what would happen if Oregon played the Big Ten Champ for the title. Who would play in the Rose Bowl then?

That is correct. I believe someone on espn (herbstreet (sp)?) reported that if the NC game is BigTen/Pac10 vs. NQ team that the Rose Bowl then is free from the requirement to pick the High NQ team.

That is correct. I believe someone on espn (herbstreet (sp)?) reported that if the NC game is BigTen/Pac10 vs. NQ team that the Rose Bowl then is free from the requirement to pick the High NQ team.

Not just "Big Ten/Pac 10 vs. NQ", but anyone vs. one of the NQ teams. For example, if Auburn met TCU in the championship, the Rose Bowl is not obligated to take Boise St. It would just be Pac 10 champ vs. Big Ten champ, the way it's supposed to be.

Not just "Big Ten/Pac 10 vs. NQ", but anyone vs. one of the NQ teams. For example, if Auburn met TCU in the championship, the Rose Bowl is not obligated to take Boise St. It would just be Pac 10 champ vs. Big Ten champ, the way it's supposed to be.
I think it is automatically Pac 10 champ vs. BigTen Champ unless one is playing in the NC Correct or do they still have that weird selection order?

I think it is automatically Pac 10 champ vs. BigTen Champ unless one is playing in the NC Correct or do they still have that weird selection order?

Yes, that is correct. The Rose is the only BCS bowl that is contractually obligated to take two conference champions (unless one is in the NC.) The others have only one: Fiesta (Big 12), Orange (ACC), and Sugar (SEC). It's a sign of the Big East's status that they are the only BCS conference without a BCS bowl contract, and that they fall in line with the at-larges and non-AQ schools when selection time comes around.

One of the major reasons I'm rooting for Alabama to beat Auburn is so we get the traditional Big Ten/Pac-10 matchup in Pasadena.

Also, I'm sick of SEC fans yapping about winning the BCS title every year.

For what it is worth the BT teams non conf and BT schedules have not given much clarity to the how the BTs skills match up with other big conf. MSU is our top dog? IDK. All signs point to a the BT getting beat down and that may include the beefy WI O-line and Tolzien's pinpoint accuracy.

One of the major reasons I'm rooting for Alabama to beat Auburn is so we get the traditional Big Ten/Pac-10 matchup in Pasadena.

I'd like to see Auburn lose because it looks VERY likely that they'll end up vacating all of their wins this year and I'd hate to see another national championship stripped due to use of an ineligible player.

I'd like to see Auburn lose because it looks VERY likely that they'll end up vacating all of their wins this year and I'd hate to see another national championship stripped due to use of an ineligible player.

Has an NC been stripped ever? I don't think USC lost their NC title because of R Bush, or did I miss that?

Has an NC been stripped ever? I don't think USC lost their NC title because of R Bush, or did I miss that?

They lost their BCS title, but the polls aren't going to adjust, so technically they keep the NC. I don't know that they'll claim it, though, since it's so tainted.

Maybe I'm brain farting here, but how does Auburn have anything to do with the Rose Bowl match up? If Oregon and Auburn win out, they will be in the NC game, right? If Auburn loses, all that changes is it will be Oregon/TCU or Oregon/Boise. Unless you're suggesting that having Boise or TCU in the NC game means the Rose Bowl can pick Stanford or whatever, but they wouldn't be conference champs so it would be kind of lame (like Illinois' "Rose Bowl" a few years ago). Unless I'm missing something, the only way for a "traditional" Rose Bowl is for Oregon to not go to the NC game.

I'd love to see Boise St. get stomped by Wisconsin on a national stage. Just to shut everybody up who says they would do well (top 3) in any conference. I'm sorry but i really think in the big ten or SEC they'd be nothing special. I'm not saying their not a damn good football team def top 25 most years but not this elite status that some people give them.

I'd love to see Boise St. get stomped by Wisconsin on a national stage. Just to shut everybody up who says they would do well (top 3) in any conference. I'm sorry but i really think in the big ten or SEC they'd be nothing special. I'm not saying their not a damn good football team def top 25 most years but not this elite status that some people give them.

I'd love to see Boise State stomp Wisconsin by about 3 touchdowns on a national stage......

I'd love to see Boise State stomp Wisconsin by about 3 touchdowns on a national stage......

because its wisconsin I can't say I wouldn't enjoy that as well...I'm torn idk I guess it's A win win for me if they play.

You guys make me laugh. Those of you that want to see WI get stomped on a national stage are the first to complain about how the national media is unfair to the BigTen as a whole. Why do you think that is, probably because their top teams (OSU) have been stomped recently on the National Stage? The Big Ten is still trying to dig out of the whole created when OSU got stomped in back to back national title games. Oh I get it, you are all smarter than the national media and understand how this is without a doubt (or recent national championship) the best conference.

You guys make me laugh. Those of you that want to see WI get stomped on a national stage are the first to complain about how the national media is unfair to the BigTen as a whole. Why do you think that is, probably because their top teams (OSU) have been stomped recently on the National Stage? The Big Ten is still trying to dig out of the whole created when OSU got stomped in back to back national title games. Oh I get it, you are all smarter than the national media and understand how this is without a doubt (or recent national championship) the best conference.

I don't give a flying piss about any of that. I want Wisconsin and Iowa to lose every game, preferably by as many points as possible. When they play each other, I'd prefer that Iowa win 2-0, but only because Wisconsin's QB stepped out of the back of the endzone, so that Iowa doesn't get any real credit for the victory. I couldn't care less what the Big Ten's reputation is nationally, and certainly will not root for Iowa or Wisconsin to win their bowl games so that some media peon in Bristol, Connecticut thinks that the Big Ten is better.

I'd love to see Boise St. get stomped by Wisconsin on a national stage. Just to shut everybody up who says they would do well (top 3) in any conference. I'm sorry but i really think in the big ten or SEC they'd be nothing special...

I agree with you, except I wish someone other than Wisconsin would stomp Boise St. on the national stage;)

A great point which supports my original thought. We should support our conference team against teams from other conferences. The better they do the better we look as a conference and the stronger our schedules are considered for playing in the big ten year in year out. It pisses me off when people think schools from lower conferences lik Boise could hang in the big ten. That comes from an overall historic perception that the big ten is weak which we all know to be not true.

Silvio-

How do you know what I think on the issue? The only thing I said is I would like to see Boise stomp Wisconsin. I have never crowed once on here about lack of respect for the Big Ten. So, please do not tell me how I am the first to complain about the BT not getting respect on the National Stage.

I think the BT's top team did OK on a National level last year in the Rose Bowl, didn't it? I think the Big Ten is at or over .500 against the SEC in Bowl games since 2002 I think it is 12-10, not going to look it up right now. Unfortunately, two of those losses were high profile in the BCS title game. The other problem was the BT rep in the Rose Bowl getting taken apart by USC.

Anyway, I cannot stand the Badgers and believe that Boise State is a legit top 4 team in the country and would relish the chance to watch Boise pick apart the Badgers, regardless of what the National talking heads say about the Big Ten as a result.

Silvio-

How do you know what I think on the issue? The only thing I said is I would like to see Boise stomp Wisconsin. I have never crowed once on here about lack of respect for the Big Ten. So, please do not tell me how I am the first to complain about the BT not getting respect on the National Stage.

I think the BT's top team did OK on a National level last year in the Rose Bowl, didn't it? I think the Big Ten is at or over .500 against the SEC in Bowl games since 2002 I think it is 12-10, not going to look it up right now. Unfortunately, two of those losses were high profile in the BCS title game. The other problem was the BT rep in the Rose Bowl getting taken apart by USC.

Anyway, I cannot stand the Badgers and believe that Boise State is a legit top 4 team in the country and would relish the chance to watch Boise pick apart the Badgers, regardless of what the National talking heads say about the Big Ten as a result.

My apologies for lumping you in, you are a false positive then.

My gut feeling is that most of the posters who want to see Iowa and Wisconsin destroyed in bowl games are the same people who complain about lack of respect for the conference.

I agree that USC (in the rose bowl) and SEC in the national championship games of the recent past have contributed the most to the perception that the BigTen as a whole is too big and slow to compete with the truly elite teams in the nation. Whether we like it or not as gopher fans Wisconsin's win last year over Miami helped to erase that perception ( I know they aren't elite, but they are considered a speed team).

My gut feeling is that most of the posters who want to see Iowa and Wisconsin destroyed in bowl games are the same people who complain about lack of respect for the conference. QUOTE]

I agree, I cheer for every Big Ten team in their bowl game. Big Ten Pride!!!

My gut feeling is that most of the posters who want to see Iowa and Wisconsin destroyed in bowl games are the same people who complain about lack of respect for the conference.

I agree that USC (in the rose bowl) and SEC in the national championship games of the recent past have contributed the most to the perception that the BigTen as a whole is too big and slow to compete with the truly elite teams in the nation. Whether we like it or not as gopher fans Wisconsin's win last year over Miami helped to erase that perception ( I know they aren't elite, but they are considered a speed team).

There is no question that last year's bowl results helped the National perception of the BT. I was even surprised to know that the BT was basically .500 versus the SEC in bowl games for the past 8 years. That is good to know. Of course, We helped that beating Arkansas and Alabama in Bowl Games :):):)

I just despise the Badgers so much that I cannot cheer for them in any circumstance. That is just me. I am a little better when it comes to Iowa, I respect them at least. Still want to drill them in 11 Days!!!

There is no question that last year's bowl results helped the National perception of the BT. I was even surprised to know that the BT was basically .500 versus the SEC in bowl games for the past 8 years. That is good to know. Of course, We helped that beating Arkansas and Alabama in Bowl Games :):):)

I just despise the Badgers so much that I cannot cheer for them in any circumstance. That is just me. I am a little better when it comes to Iowa, I respect them at least. Still want to drill them in 11 Days!!!

Haha, the gophers did help even the record. However I don't think those were bellwether games for either conference.

What do all three of those schools have in common? None of them have the same coaches they have then. Unfortunately only the gophers are not better off.

Maybe I'm brain farting here, but how does Auburn have anything to do with the Rose Bowl match up? If Oregon and Auburn win out, they will be in the NC game, right? If Auburn loses, all that changes is it will be Oregon/TCU or Oregon/Boise. Unless you're suggesting that having Boise or TCU in the NC game means the Rose Bowl can pick Stanford or whatever, but they wouldn't be conference champs so it would be kind of lame (like Illinois' "Rose Bowl" a few years ago). Unless I'm missing something, the only way for a "traditional" Rose Bowl is for Oregon to not go to the NC game.

I guarantee that if TCU or Boise goes to the NCG, the Rose Bowl will select 11-1 Stanford over the non-AQ team left out of the NCG.

The real question becomes if the Orange or Sugar Bowls would take the second non-AQ team ahead of a two-loss SEC team like Alabama or LSU. I think Arkansas beats LSU in Little Rock, but if LSU ends up 11-1, and the Big Ten has a three-way tie at 11-1, I doubt the second non-AQ team gets a BCS bid.

I guarantee that if TCU or Boise goes to the NCG, the Rose Bowl will select 11-1 Stanford over the non-AQ team left out of the NCG.

The real question becomes if the Orange or Sugar Bowls would take the second non-AQ team ahead of a two-loss SEC team like Alabama or LSU. I think Arkansas beats LSU in Little Rock, but if LSU ends up 11-1, and the Big Ten has a three-way tie at 11-1, I doubt the second non-AQ team gets a BCS bid.

I don't think a two loss team will be high enough ranked to get into the conversation for a BCS game unless it is Alabama. I believe if the non-aq teams are high enough they have to be selected (could be wrong), you can only have two teams per conference so tough luck for MSU if there are 3 one loss teams from the BigTen. Plus don't forget that the Big East and Acc get an AQ spot and their champion will be no where near the top of the BCS.

I don't think a two loss team will be high enough ranked to get into the conversation for a BCS game unless it is Alabama. I believe if the non-aq teams are high enough they have to be selected (could be wrong), you can only have two teams per conference so tough luck for MSU if there are 3 one loss teams from the BigTen. Plus don't forget that the Big East and Acc get an AQ spot and their champion will be no where near the top of the BCS.

Only the top non-AQ team is guaranteed a spot in the BCS. That is why there is such a scramble between TCU and Boise for the #3 spot - if Oregon or Auburn slips up, that could be the difference between playing for a national championship, and playing in the Poinsettia Bowl. A 10-2 Alabama will probably be in the 8 range, with LSU not far behind, but I think public pressure would keep those bowls from freezing out the non-AQ team. But if there's an 11-1 team? Tough luck.

One team from the Big Ten will miss the BCS if all three finish 11-1. This happened to Wisconsin in 2007 when Ohio State and Michigan were ranked 1-2 heading into their game; tOSU got the NGC, Michigan got the Rose, Wisky went to the Cap One Bowl.

Only the top non-AQ team is guaranteed a spot in the BCS. That is why there is such a scramble between TCU and Boise for the #3 spot - if Oregon or Auburn slips up, that could be the difference between playing for a national championship, and playing in the Poinsettia Bowl. A 10-2 Alabama will probably be in the 8 range, with LSU not far behind, but I think public pressure would keep those bowls from freezing out the non-AQ team. But if there's an 11-1 team? Tough luck.

One team from the Big Ten will miss the BCS if all three finish 11-1. This happened to Wisconsin in 2007 when Ohio State and Michigan were ranked 1-2 heading into their game; tOSU got the NGC, Michigan got the Rose, Wisky went to the Cap One Bowl.

Looking at the standing I would think only Stanford would get passed over by a bowl committee for Alabama. The remaining teams are just as big a name and fan base (excluding TCU and Boise) except for Stanford that could be a possible non automatic berth team. I think last year set the precedent that TCU and Boise won't be left out of the party should they finish undefeated. The issue is that their will not be many "open spots" thanks to the ACC and BigEast auto bids. Plus the Ole Ball Coach is going to get a second crack at that Auburn pass defense, so Alabama needs many things to fall their way to get to a BCS game.

Looking at the standing I would think only Stanford would get passed over by a bowl committee for Alabama. The remaining teams are just as big a name and fan base (excluding TCU and Boise) except for Stanford that could be a possible non automatic berth team. I think last year set the precedent that TCU and Boise won't be left out of the party should they finish undefeated. The issue is that their will not be many "open spots" thanks to the ACC and BigEast auto bids.

Stanford would definitely get passed over by the Sugar or Orange Bowls, but they've got the Rose Bowl on lockdown if it's Oregon vs. TCU/Boise in the NCG.

The scenario I see playing out (Auburn loses to Alabama but wins the SEC, and MSU is left out):

NCG - Oregon vs. TCU/Boise St.
Rose - Wisconsin/Ohio St. vs. Stanford
Sugar - Auburn vs. Wisconsin/Ohio St.
Orange - ACC vs. TCU/Boise St.
Fiesta - Big 12 vs. Big East

A problem with this, however, would be if TCU is in the NCG, and the Sugar Bowl takes an 11-1 Big Ten team with the first at-large selection. Would the Orange Bowl take 12-0 Boise State to face the ACC champion if that champion is Virginia Tech? As entertaining as that game was, bowls hate rematches of regular season games. This is where an 11-1/10-2 LSU or 10-2 Alabama would jump ahead of undefeated Boise State.

I don't give a flying piss about any of that. I want Wisconsin and Iowa to lose every game, preferably by as many points as possible. When they play each other, I'd prefer that Iowa win 2-0, but only because Wisconsin's QB stepped out of the back of the endzone, so that Iowa doesn't get any real credit for the victory.

+1

Top Bottom