Contest: Predict the Final Regular Season Record - Time to Put it on the Record

What Record Do We Finish With Bucket Experts??

• 21-5

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • 20-6

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • 19-7

Votes: 15 27.8%
  • 18-8

Votes: 14 25.9%
  • 17-9

Votes: 13 24.1%
  • 16-10

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • 15-11

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 14-12

• 13-13

• 12-14

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gopher_In_NYC

Reaction score
Since we have some time till Saturday, I thought it would be fun to put on our prognosticating caps and pick where we think we'll end up at the end of Regular Season. This is a contest for all the bragging rights that only men past their glory days can truly savor and enjoy

Please note the following parameters regarding this contest-

It is only open until this coming weekend and you cannot change your vote once cast.

It does not include the Nebby postponed game scheduled tomorrow, as they have their HC and 7 players test positive and their road back seems rocky at this point. If that game does get rescheduled, it simply won't count for the purposes of this contest. So this contest includes all the current games on our schedule and therefore, the total number of games is 26, as we are now 11-4 and have 11 left (excluding Nebraska)

This polling format allows doesn't allow for unlimited choices and since we have 11 games left, so I've left out the option to choose the two least likely scenarios IMO, records of us winning (22-4) or losing all remaining games (11-15) and what our records would then be. If either of those happen, I'll likely have had a heart attack.

To be officially crown the WINNER you need to pick the record (based on the above rules) and then post it in this thread and also what your prediction is for what we do in the NCAA tourney (knocking on my pressed wood desk now). For example, we lose in the first round or make it to the sweet 16.

All MN basketball fans are eligible to participate with the following EXCEPTIONS (for obvious reasons):
RIck, Richard, Jill, Ava, Jack and Zoe (who rumor has it would win this easily) Pitino.

Here is the remaining schedule for your review -

1/23​
Sat​
vs.​
Maryland​
1/30​
Sat​
@​
Purdue​
2/4​
Thursday​
@​
Rutgers​
2/8​
Monday​
vs.​
Nebraska​
2/11​
Thursday​
vs.​
Purdue​
2/14​
Sunday​
@​
Maryland​
2/17​
Wednesday​
@​
Indiana​
2/20​
Saturday​
vs.​
Illinois​
2/27​
Saturday​
vs.​
Northwestern​
3/3​
Wednesday​
@​
Penn Stat​
3/6​
Saturday​
vs.​
Rutgers​

Last edited:

19-7 was my choice and we make it to the Elite 8 and shock everyone -

PITINO FOR LIFE!!!

17-9 is what I would say. I just don’t think the team is quite good enough for me to rely on them to win consistently on the road.
if Nebraska game was involved thatd be a win.

1/23Satvs.Maryland
1/30Sat@Purdue
2/4Thursday@Rutgers
2/8Mondayvs.Nebraska
2/11Thursdayvs.Purdue
2/14Sunday@Maryland
2/17Wednesday@Indiana
2/20Saturdayvs.Illinois
2/27Saturdayvs.Northwestern
3/3Wednesday@Penn Stat
3/6Saturdayvs.Rutgers

They’ll win 1 of the next 3
2 of the 3 after that
2 of the @indiana to northwestern stretch
1 of the final 2

I hope I’m wrong

Last edited:

I might be the board drunk, but just where is the 22-4 choice?

I mean, its an option.

From the thread-

This polling format allows doesn't allow for unlimited choices and since we have 11 games left, so I've left out the option to choose the two least likely scenarios IMO, records of us winning (22-4) or losing all remaining games (11-15) and what our records would then be. If either of those happen, I'll likely have had a heart attack.

Dos that help?

I'm going with 20-6. Gophers sweep the home slate and steal road wins at Penn State, Purdue, and Indiana.

Finish the regular season with victories over all B1G teams except Wisconsin.

But then, there's the tournament!

Since we have some time till Saturday, I thought it would be fun to put on our prognosticating caps and pick where we think we'll end up at the end of Regular Season. This is a contest for all the bragging rights that only men past their glory days can truly savor and enjoy

Please note the following parameters regarding this contest-

It is only open until this coming weekend and you cannot change your vote once cast.

It does not include the Nebby postponed game scheduled tomorrow, as they have their HC and 7 players test positive and their road back seems rocky at this point. If that game does get rescheduled, it simply won't count for the purposes of this contest. So this contest includes all the current games on our schedule and therefore, the total number of games is 26, as we are now 11-4 and have 11 left (excluding Nebraska)

To be officially crown the WINNER you need to pick the record (based on the above rules) and then post it in this thread and also what your prediction is for what we do in the NCAA tourney (knocking on my pressed wood desk now). For example, we lose in the first round or make it to the sweet 16.

All MN basketball fans are eligible to participate with the following EXCEPTIONS (for obvious reasons):
RIck, Richard, Jill, Ava, Jack and Zoe (who rumor has it would win this easily) Pitino.

Here is the remaining schedule for your review -

1/23​
Sat​
vs.​
Maryland​
1/30​
Sat​
@​
Purdue​
2/4​
Thursday​
@​
Rutgers​
2/8​
Monday​
vs.​
Nebraska​
2/11​
Thursday​
vs.​
Purdue​
2/14​
Sunday​
@​
Maryland​
2/17​
Wednesday​
@​
Indiana​
2/20​
Saturday​
vs.​
Illinois​
2/27​
Saturday​
vs.​
Northwestern​
3/3​
Wednesday​
@​
Penn Stat​
3/6​
Saturday​
vs.​
Rutgers​

Hey, NYC - I miscounted and want to change my vote. Is that possible?

From the thread-

Dos that help?
In my defense, that was a long post.

Agree that pitino's family shouldnt be allowed to participate, but also think that the little man who runs between Rick and Richard should be disqualified.
18-8.

Last edited:

went with 20-6. Will drop 2 road games or a road game and Ill at home but I'd expect us to be favored in most every game the rest of the way unless we start losing games we shouldn't from a talent standpoint

17-9 is what I would say. I just don’t think the team is quite good enough for me to rely on them to win consistently on the road.
if Nebraska game was involved thatd be a win.

I picked 17-9 but I actually meant 18-8 (miscounted). I think 17-9 is a fair safe choice but I'm guessing they can win 2 of the remaining 5 road games but can also lose 1 at home (likely Illinois if they don't figure out a way to limit their big man).

I picked 17-9 but I actually meant 18-8 (miscounted). I think 17-9 is a fair safe choice but I'm guessing they can win 2 of the remaining 5 road games but can also lose 1 at home (likely Illinois if they don't figure out a way to limit their big man).
As I look at my breakdown that I later added to the post...They could really one more in all 4 segments I broke the remaining season down into.

that would put them at 21-5 plus a makeup date with Nebraska....22-5 is the best I see them doing

With no more cancelations and no makeup of Nebraska I could see them doing as bad as 15-11

what I’m basically saying is I still haven’t decided if the team is good or average yet. I think I’ve got to see them against a non-top 15 team on the road before I am confident in my thoughts on the team.

Also taking 19-7. Drop @Rutgers, Illinois, and one of @Maryland or @Indiana. I'll go for the emotional hedge and say we lose in the Sweet 16.

As I look at my breakdown that I later added to the post...They could really one more in all 4 segments I broke the remaining season down into.

that would put them at 21-5 plus a makeup date with Nebraska....22-5 is the best I see them doing

With no more cancelations and no makeup of Nebraska I could see them doing as bad as 15-11

15-11 really would be a bummer. I don't think the Nebraska game will be made up. They'll have too many games to make up and I'm not sure it would be wise for them to try to pick and choose which make up games to play.

That was a win for the ages against Michigan but, until I see evidence to the contrary, I'm not going to assume that was the tipping point and all of their issues on the road are completely a thing of the past.

20-6, get the double bye for the Big Ten Tournament. Beat Purdue, Wisconsin, and Iowa to win the Championship. Sit at 23-6 going into the selection show. We get a #2 seed. We get to the Final Four after beating (15)Sam Houston St, (10)Drake, (3)Alabama, and (4)Virginia. We blowout a cutesy cinderalla in the semifinal and then get undefeated Gonzaga in the Championship game. Gonzaga loses their perfect season on a Marcus Carr stepback 3 at the buzzer.

Either that or we lose to Michigan in the Big Ten Tournament for the 3rd time in 5 years and get upset as a 5 seed again.

Anything can happen, that's college basketball baby.

17-9. It's not that we haven't won a road game, but have played so poorly on the road. Win a first round NCAA tourney game, lose in round of 32. That would still be considered a successful season but the ceiling is higher for this team.

I wanted to say 20-6 but could not bring myself to do it. I went with 19-7 instead as being more reasonable but I will be very happy if we were able to pull out 20-6.

19-7 is what I predicted before the season and although I’m slightly more optimistic I’ll stick with that.

19-7, with a sweet 16 run. Would be a season that in the moment almost feels slightly disappointing, since the potential is clearly there, but looking back was a very good year.

20-6, get the double bye for the Big Ten Tournament. Beat Purdue, Wisconsin, and Iowa to win the Championship. Sit at 23-6 going into the selection show. We get a #2 seed. We get to the Final Four after beating (15)Sam Houston St, (10)Drake, (3)Alabama, and (4)Virginia. We blowout a cutesy cinderalla in the semifinal and then get undefeated Gonzaga in the Championship game. Gonzaga loses their perfect season on a Marcus Carr stepback 3 at the buzzer.

Either that or we lose to Michigan in the Big Ten Tournament for the 3rd time in 5 years and get upset as a 5 seed again.

Anything can happen, that's college basketball baby.

1611097238593.png

Chose 19-7. We lose @Purdue, @Maryland and @Rutgers. Make it to the round of 32 but no sweet 16 this year.

Really enjoy you putting in your vote as you always share with clear thoughts. Little to zero bias.
Thank you.

If Gophers had a road win by now I’d probably have it at 18-8, but past road history (even with no crowds) gives me pause.

I still don't have any confidence in this coach, so I am at 17-9 until I see a solid road peformance and some more bench production. People talk about how great the conference is but this year (and last year) feature fewer future NBA guys than I can remember. There's a really a wide range of outcomes for a lot of teams in the conference during the back half of the schedule, not just the Gophers.

19-7. Illinois is a tough matchup, even in the friendly confines. @ Purdue-Rutgers-Maryland-IU are tough games. So I think they’ll lose 2 of these 5 and then get beat by a hot shooting team in one of those others ones.

I think it will be hard to immediately evaluate the season. 19-7 is better than I would have expected but are we thrilled with a 12-7 record in the conference? I think it would be the most conference wins in the Pitino era and will largely be done without any home court advantage from fans. Time will tell I guess.

Didn’t look at the schedule, but 7-4 down the stretch sounds realistic as teams will be scrapping for late wins.

Puts us at 18-8.

21-5 (22-4)

The Gophers won't lose again until the BTT and then they'll get to the Great 8 of the NCAAs.

Gabe Kalscheur finds 'it', and becomes a household name based on his play in the tourney. :cheer:

Pitino gets 10 year $350 mil extension.

Carr, Robbins, Johnson leave - Gophers win 13 games next year.

21-5 (22-4)

The Gophers won't lose again until the BTT and then they'll get to the Great 8 of the NCAAs.

Gabe Kalscheur finds 'it', and becomes a household name based on his play in the tourney. :cheer:

Pitino gets 10 year $350 mil extension.

Carr, Robbins, Johnson leave - Gophers win 13 games next year.
You forgot to mention that Chet Holmgren commits, Matthew Hurt transfers back to Minnesota along with McKinley Wright and Dawson Garcia. all of which are immediately eligible. ;)

"If your going to drink the cool-aid son, drink the whole glass."

Top Bottom