Consider if both Wisconsin and Ohio State go 11-1

Inigo Montoya

Reaction score
and Michigan State runs the table to finish out 12-0, will a BCS bowl pick Wisconsin or Ohio State? Can't pick both since only 2 conference teams can play in a BCS bowl. Both teams travel really well and Wisconsin beat OSU head-to-head. I still think a BCS bowl picks OSU. Kinda makes me giggle if Wisconsin goes 11-1 and doesn't play in a BCS bowl.

and Michigan State runs the table to finish out 12-0, will a BCS bowl pick Wisconsin or Ohio State? Can't pick both since only 2 conference teams can play in a BCS bowl. Both teams travel really well and Wisconsin beat OSU head-to-head. I still think a BCS bowl picks OSU. Kinda makes me giggle if Wisconsin goes 11-1 and doesn't play in a BCS bowl.

If Wisconsin goes 11-1 this season, they will be in a BCS game. You're getting a little bit too far out there with your hypotheticals. That's the reality.

If that were to happen that would be basically the same thing that happened to UW in 2006, Bielema's first year as head coach. Badgers went 11-1, only to miss out due to Michigan and Ohio State spending the majority of the year at #1 and #2. That hurt.

If that were to happen that would be basically the same thing that happened to UW in 2006, Bielema's first year as head coach. Badgers went 11-1, only to miss out due to Michigan and Ohio State spending the majority of the year at #1 and #2. That hurt.

Different scenario in 2006, Bucky lost to Mich and didn't play OSU. UW didn't deserve to overtake OSU or Mich based on who they beat that year.

That year the Big 10 was absolutely awful; OSU, Mich & UW were undefeated against the rest of the conference and the only mildly decent team was PSU.

If Wisconsin and Ohio State are both 11-1 and Michigan State is 12-0.
100% chance Wisconsin will be in the Capital One Bowl.

Ohio State. Nationally no one really cares about wisconsin football. If MSU and Wisconsin both finished 11-1 with Ohio State going 12-0 Michigan State goes to the BCS bowl.

If Wisconsin goes 11-1 this season, they will be in a BCS game. You're getting a little bit too far out there with your hypotheticals. That's the reality.

Actually you might be getting a little ahead of yourself assuming an 11-1 Bucky team would be in a BCS bowl game in the hypothetical given here (12-0 MSU, 11-1 OSU/Wis).

That will put MSU in either 1) the Rose Bowl or 2) the national title game.

If MSU goes to the Rose Bowl, then that will leave the individual BCS bowl games to determine if they want OSU or Wis as an at-large. Depending on matchups, it could be OSU. That would leave 11-1 Wis out.

If MSU goes to the National Title Game, then the Rose Bowl MUST select a non-BCS automatic qualifier should there be one. This is a new rule. If that's the case, then TCU/Boise State would likely be in the Rose Bowl instead of a Big Ten team. The matter gets further muddied should Oregon be in the National Title game, too, meaning the Rose Bowl lost both their automatic teams. Then, the Rose Bowl MUST take TCU/Boise State if either is an automatic qualifier. Then, they get a second selection and I believe OSU becomes a more attractive alternative as the matchup against TCU/BSU than would Stanford or Wis (the other options, IMO). That, too, could leave 11-1 Wis out.

Could a BSC bowl choose Wis over OSU? Sure. But, it seems more likely that Wis would be chosen behind OSU in most at-large scenarios. OSU is an enticing matchup for most of these high-level bowl games.

I'm afraid of what will happen in this scenario. I was talking to a friend about this. Is the BCS required to select the higher ranked team in the BCS standings? I think the fact that Wisconsin's only loss would be to an undefeated Michigan State team, added to Wisconsin beating Ohio State head to head, would give the Badgers a great shot.

This terrifies me. It was bad enough watching mother$%#@%!g Iowa win a BCS game last year. I can't stomach watching Wisconsin.

Which means, for the remainder of the year I am rooting for the Wolverines. Wisconsin only has one loseable road game left, and it's Michigan.

Ohio State. Nationally no one really cares about wisconsin football. If MSU and Wisconsin both finished 11-1 with Ohio State going 12-0 Michigan State goes to the BCS bowl.

Just to let you know, Ohio State can't go 12-0 because they lost last weekend to Wisconsin.

This scenario is no longer possible but if MSU and OSU were both undefeated could they have played for the national championship and WI for the Rose Bowl?

This scenario is no longer possible but if MSU and OSU were both undefeated could they have played for the national championship and WI for the Rose Bowl?

No. As stated above, there is a rule that says max of 2 teams from any one conference. Which is why everyone likes to say Leach never made a BCS game even though a few years back they went 11-1 with Texas and OU having the same records and Texas Tech being the bridesmade, as Wisconsin will be in this scenario.

Wisconsin isn't good enough to go 11-1 though, so they'll lose to someone they shouldn't...

What about 2 teams from the same conference playing for a national championship?

this could happen, but the teams would probably have to be from the Big Ten. The SEC and Big 12 have title games, the Pac Ten plays a round robin, and the ACC and the Big East aren't even really major conferences in anyone's opinion.

what happens when WI, runs the table, OSU runs the table and MSU loses to OSU,...they will all be 11-1...all having each others tie breakers haha

what happens when WI, runs the table, OSU runs the table and MSU loses to OSU,...they will all be 11-1...all having each others tie breakers haha

The NCAA puts MSU and OSU on probation for playing a game that was not on the schedule.
The real chance at a 3 way tie is if Iowa wins out, Wisconsin wins out, and Michigan State wins out except for the Iowa game.

would it be a 3 way tie for the title then? WI has tiebreaker over OSU and MSU has tie breaker over WI, so thus MSU has big10 title???? I wonder if it is a 3 way tie who would get the BCS bowl birth(s).

Top Bottom