Sun Belt
#95 JMU (MSU)
#108 South Alabama (MD)
#207 Georgia Southern (MSU)
#285 Arkansas State (IOWA)

WCC
vs. #114 San Francisco (MINN)

(Opponent to be Determined)
vs. #3 UConn/#7 Texas/#314 Louisville (IND)

vs. #4 UCLA/#5 Tennessee/#8 Gonzaga/#9 Kansas/#12 Marquette/#121 Syracuse/@ Chaminade (PUR)

vs. #4 UCLA/#26 Kentucky/#44 North Carolina (OSU)

vs. #13 FAU/#25 Iowa State/#28 Texas A&M/#34 Boise State/#54 VCU/#75 Virginia Tech/#125 Butler (PSU)

vs. #20 Arkansas/#22 Memphis/#44 North Carolina/#62 Texas Tech/#71 Villanova/#96 Stanford/#218 Northern Iowa (MICH)

vs. #39 UAB/#67 Clemson/#145 Davidson (MD)

vs. #55 USC/#70 Oklahoma/#74 Seton Hall (IOWA)

TOP 100 OPPONENTS
vs. #2 Alabama (OSU)
vs. #2 Alabama (PUR)
@ #4 UCLA (MD)
@ #5 Tennessee (ILL)
#5 Tennessee (WIS)
#9 Kansas (IND)
vs. #10 Arizona (MSU)
vs. #10 Arizona (PUR)
@ #10 Arizona (WIS)
#12 Marquette (ILL)
#12 Marquette (WIS)
vs. #13 FAU (PUR)
@ #14 Creighton (IOWA)
#14 Creighton (NEB)
vs. #16 Duke (MSU)
vs. #17 Baylor (MSU)
#18 Xavier (PUR)
@ #19 Kansas State (NEB)
vs. #24 West Virginia (OSU)
@ #25 Iowa State (IOWA)
#28 Texas A&M (OSU)
vs. #29 Virginia (WIS)
vs. #35 Auburn (IND)
@ #45 Oregon (MICH)
vs. #47 Mizzou (ILL)
#51 @ Providence (WIS)
vs. #53 Mississippi State (RUT)
vs. #61 Arizona State (NW)
@ #71 Villanova (MD)
vs. #73 Florida (MICH)
@ #74 Seton Hall (RUT)
#77 Dayton (NW)
@ #89 Wake Forest (RUT)
@ #91 Saint John's (MICH)
vs. #93 Princeton (RUT)
#95 JMU (MSU)

Last edited:

I tend to trust Rocco Miller over anyone when it comes to scheduling tidbits, so I won’t be surprised if he ends up being right about this and Marcus wrong.

But either way, the schedule speaks for itself!
Ah, I missed the Marcus info. I figured something must be up. Thanks for all your info, the schedule and NCAA Tournament information you provide.

This is a schedule built for a team that knows it won’t come close to sniffing the bubble so it just doesn’t have to schedule any decent teams. This is the most embarrassing, creamiest of cream puff schedules I’ve ever seen.
It would serve them right to over perform and get left out of consideration because of the terrible schedule. It's not a completely objective analysis comparing between eras, but I have to believe that this is the worst non conference schedule in my adult life. And that's a long time.

It would serve them right to over perform and get left out of consideration because of the terrible schedule. It's not a completely objective analysis comparing between eras, but I have to believe that this is the worst nonconference schedule in my adult life. And that's a long time.

For reference, last year's OOC schedule was ranked #311 and that had 3 top 100 teams(filled with garbage games). We played basically 5 300+ teams(Chicago State was 299). This year, we project to play ZERO top 100 teams. This is going to be the worst OOC schedule in the entire country. And this will be the worst OOC schedule we've ever played. It's entirely possible 7 of our 11 OOC games are against 300+ teams.

Had a chance to be intriguing with the Vegas tournament, but our coaching staff was a bunch of cowards.

For reference, last year's OOC schedule was ranked #311 and that had 3 top 100 teams(filled with garbage games). We played basically 5 300+ teams(Chicago State was 299). This year, we project to play ZERO top 100 teams. This is going to be the worst OOC schedule in the entire country. And this will be the worst OOC schedule we've ever played. It's entirely possible 7 of our 11 OOC games are against 300+ teams.

Had a chance to be intriguing with the Vegas tournament, but our coaching staff was a bunch of cowards.
Not only a terrible schedule but also one that will show nothing of improvement or growth. It feels like the staff gaslighting the administration. They can’t gaslight the fans, though.

Not only a terrible schedule but also one that will show nothing of improvement or growth. It feels like the staff gaslighting the administration. They can’t gaslight the fans, though.
Maybe they can let season ticket holders watch a “secret” scrimmage or two against some junior high school teams to make up for the lack of value in the OOC lineup.

Maybe they can let season ticket holders watch a “secret” scrimmage or two against some junior high school teams to make up for the lack of value in the OOC lineup.
As long as they have the pulled pork nachos ready and a cold beer I’m in

Western Illinois (248) @ Wisconsin added.
With Arizona, Tennessee, Virginia, and Marquette already on the schedule (plus Providence and either WVU or SMU in the 2nd game of a tournament), a game against the Leathernecks is excusable. Someone else noted that this would be a well above average game for MN.

If our conference schedule isn’t strong enough to dance we must need a stronger conference to play in. Besides if many of you are correct that we are dead last in the conference, how does our OOC schedule get us in. Y’all be arguing with yourselves.

If our conference schedule isn’t strong enough to dance we must need a stronger conference to play in. Besides if many of you are correct that we are dead last in the conference, how does our OOC schedule get us in. Y’all be arguing with yourselves.
You are probably right. The chances we get close enough to the bubble for our non con schedule to even matter are very low.

Huh? The only way the p*say scheduling doesn’t matter is if you a) don’t expect to be competitive or b) finish 12-8 or better in conference. A team that gets a quad-1 win or two in the noncon on their resume can make the tournament with a sub-.500 league record. When you don’t even schedule anything close to a quad-1, there’s zero margin of error.

Huh? The only way the p*say scheduling doesn’t matter is if you a) don’t expect to be competitive or b) finish 12-8 or better in conference. A team that gets a quad-1 win or two in the noncon on their resume can make the tournament with a sub-.500 league record. When you don’t even schedule anything close to a quad-1, there’s zero margin of error.
Bingo.

This kind of scheduling basically means you're going all-or-nothing on Big Ten performance. A NCAA Tournament resume (talking more specifically about bubble teams) ideally should have a blend of 1 or 2 quality (Quad 1-2) non-conference wins, another 4 or 5 in conference play, and then grabbing at least 1 in your conference tournament.

My way of saying, don't put all your eggs in one basket. Plan on doing some work in all 3 stages of a season. ... non-conference, conference, and conference tournament. IMO, you better do work in at least 2 of the 3 stages, or if you're anywhere near the bubble you're begging to be left out of the tournament.

Gotta get to 12 wins in the conference for this out of conference schedule to not mean anything. Anything 11 or lower won't matter. 22-10 with this schedule isn't getting us in.

Bingo.

This kind of scheduling basically means you're going all-or-nothing on Big Ten performance. A NCAA Tournament resume (talking more specifically about bubble teams) ideally should have a blend of 1 or 2 quality (Quad 1-2) non-conference wins, another 4 or 5 in conference play, and then grabbing at least 1 in your conference tournament.

My way of saying, don't put all your eggs in one basket. Plan on doing some work in all 3 stages of a season. ... non-conference, conference, and conference tournament. IMO, you better do work in at least 2 of the 3 stages, or if you're anywhere near the bubble you're begging to be left out of the tournament.
I agree with your 3 stage formula. But, I don't think Ben is looking at it like that.
He is setting it up to give himself the best chance to go undefeated in the pre season.
Somehow achieve a personal best 5 conference wins and finish over 500 for the season and call it progress.
If that is not the logic, what would it be?
No matter who we play, no matter how bad they are....will we go 11 and 0?

Bingo.

I agree on this for next year unless we lose most of the team to the portal. I think most will stay. Next year would be huge if they do. We are contenders if we add a strong back up to Payne.

Top Bottom