Conference Shooting Percentage Rankings by Year for Pitino Teams

cjbfbp

Reaction score
Below are the conference rankings by year (in-conference play only!) of Pitino's eight teams. As you can see, the rankings for overall field goal percentage, 2 point field goal percentage, 3 pointer percentage, and free throw shooting are displayed.

At various times throughout this season, posters have said something like "This is the worst Gopher shooting team I've seen in my life!" Well, it's definitely one of Pitino's worst and that's saying something but I think his historically awful 2016 team has a slight edge. At least this one is his second best ranked free throw shooting team and we all saw how getting to the line and converting there really helped us tremendously earlier in this season.

It's hard to remember because it's been so long ago but Pitino actually did have a pretty good shooting team once - his first! That one ranked in the top five in all measures!

His best team (2017) actually was somewhat below average in all measures except free throw shooting percentage. In contrast, 2019 ranked pretty well overall from the field but poorly from the line.

1614434963117.png

To beat a dead horse, it's just a shame he was allowed 8 years to coach with his abysmal record, recruiting, and coaching. Should have been gone 3 years ago.
#MinnesotaSports

Those are some ugly numbers. The part that makes this season so much worse though is that not only are we the worst 3 point shooting team in the conference but we also take the most 3s for some insane reason.

In conference only games we have made 127 of 449 attempts (28%). So in an average game we go 7 for 26 from 3pt range. It is just inexcusable that a team that shoots so poorly from the 3 point line is allowed to go out there game after game and throw up bricks.

There is no way the coaches are telling them to shoot that many 3s, meaning the players have no respect for the coaches. That above all else to me signals that it is time for a change.

Pitino’s best year was with Tubby’s players. It’s a shame Teague fired Tubby, thinking he could get Shaka, and then having no one interested, except an unproven coach with a pedigree.

I was concerned with some things about Tubby’s program, but he was handicapped by the below standard facilities, and getting his first hire stopped by Maturi. Remember Tubby was promised new facilities, which were never seriously pursued by Maturi.

Pitino’s best year was with Tubby’s players. It’s a shame Teague fired Tubby, thinking he could get Shaka, and then having no one interested, except an unproven coach with a pedigree.

I was concerned with some things about Tubby’s program, but he was handicapped by the below standard facilities, and getting his first hire stopped by Maturi. Remember Tubby was promised new facilities, which were never seriously pursued by Maturi.
It was time for Tubby to go. He was starting to phone it in. His lack of success since leaving here would indicate we made the right move. Just because we made a poor hire after him doesn’t mean Tubby should have continued. Just like if Pitino’s successor is crap doesn’t mean we should have hung on to Pitino.

The real problem wasn’t firing Tubby, but rather the person in charge of hiring Pitino was an absolute disaster.

The hazards of gin. 😲

From what I recall, fans were initially pleased with Tubby for bringing attention to our subpar facilities, because it would put pressure on the higher ups to make plans for improvement in that area, then got mad at him for whining and making excuses with regard to the facilities, and praised Pitino when he came in for his “Let’s make the best of what we do have instead of complaining about what we don’t” attitude.

It was time for Tubby to go. He was starting to phone it in. His lack of success since leaving here would indicate we made the right move. Just because we made a poor hire after him doesn’t mean Tubby should have continued. Just like if Pitino’s successor is crap doesn’t mean we should have hung on to Pitino.

The real problem wasn’t firing Tubby, but rather the person in charge of hiring Pitino was an absolute disaster.

Sounds familiar to what happened when they fired Mason on the football side. It was time for Mason to go but they totally botched the replacement (in fairness to Pitino though he wasn't the disaster Brewster was).

Back to the topic: Proves Pitino does not recruit shooters. He has a blind spot in his talent evaluations.

He seems to recruit " athletes " and does not seem to focus on their shooting skills. That might make some sense if we had a tenacious defensive identity but that is hardly the case.

Back to the topic: Proves Pitino does not recruit shooters. He has a blind spot in his talent evaluations.
He loses the battles for the top of the line players he wants...guys that are athletic AND can shoot. Then failing to get the star he goes for potential guys....and often gets burned by guys who never become a good shooter. His offense requires athletes, it's not patterned. If you are recruiting to his system you better get players or it is going to look stupid...like it does right now.

Top Bottom