Comprehensive list of walk-ons

parkinglotgopher

Gentleman and Scholar
Reaction score
Trying to compile a walk-on list from the assorted threads below. Thinking that we could use this as a base thread and as more come in, we can add them below.

Right now, I'm aware of:

Isaac Fruechte - Wide Receiver from Caledonia, Minn.
Caleb Bak - Defensive Lineman from Roseville, Minn.
Dave Ramlet - Long Snapper from Appleton, Wisc.
Marcus Krien - Defensive Lineman from Burlington, Wisc.
Cameron Botticelli - Defensive End from Milwaukee, Wisc.
Logan Lafferty - Linebacker from Rochester, Minn.
Gabe Mezzenga - Linebacker from Brooklyn Park, Minn.

These are the ones that we recruited to walk on, right? Aren't there some that walk on without being recruited? There are some who wind up on the scout team and may never play a down, but their contributions in practice are a help to the team.

As far as I understand, these are all preferred walk-ons.

You're right, there are plenty of guys who will walk-on and never play a down and probably not really even be a blip on the fan radar, but still help the team get better every day.

Very nice to see us get a long-snapper. We'll need one next year, and it would be a good chance for this kid to earn a quick scholarship if he works out.

As far as I understand, these are all preferred walk-ons.

You're right, there are plenty of guys who will walk-on and never play a down and probably not really even be a blip on the fan radar, but still help the team get better every day.

I do think we should give a tip of the hat to the non-preferred walk-ons. These are the guys who want to be Gophers so much they will not only pay their own way, but do so when it's likely that they will never play a down. Of course, you do sometimes get non-preferred walk-ons who do manage to contribute on the field. But to those who only get to contribute in practice, a tip of the hat is the least we can do.

Long snapper is one of the least appreciated positions on the field. When they do their job right, you never notice them. But if you don't have a good long snapper, sooner or later, you'll notice.

I do think we should give a tip of the hat to the non-preferred walk-ons. These are the guys who want to be Gophers so much they will not only pay their own way, but do so when it's likely that they will never play a down. Of course, you do sometimes get non-preferred walk-ons who do manage to contribute on the field. But to those who only get to contribute in practice, a tip of the hat is the least we can do.

Couldn't agree more. All kids that want to be Gophers or are living out dreams and may not even play are exceptional to me. It is hard to teach attitude.

Very nice to see us get a long-snapper. We'll need one next year, and it would be a good chance for this kid to earn a quick scholarship if he works out.

Ryan Grant is a superb long-snapper as well. I've been told his times in high school compared favorably to those of NFL snappers. My understanding is he is reluctant to snap for the Gophers as it's a full-time position and precludes him from competing for another position.

Ryan Grant is a superb long-snapper as well. I've been told his times in high school compared favorably to those of NFL snappers. My understanding is he is reluctant to snap for the Gophers as it's a full-time position and precludes him from competing for another position.

Apparently he's doing something for North Dakota......

You're probably referring to brother Taylor Grant, a North Dakota commit today.

Last fall, our roster had 101 players, and with a scholarship limit last year of 82 we had 19 walk-ons, preferred or otherwise. Thats almost 19% of the roster. Here are the 2009 year-end roster sizes for Big 10 schools with the number of estimated walk-ons based on 85 scholarships:

91 Purdue (6) walk-ons
100 Illinois (15)
101 Minnesota (19)*
103 Michigan State (18)
103 Northwestern (18)
111 Indiana (26)
111 Wisconsin (26)
113 Iowa (28)
116 Ohio State (31)
121 Michigan (36)
122 Penn State (37)

*Based on 82 scholarships.

You are absolutely correct. Ryan Grant is a superb long snapper and will actually have a decent chance of playing in the NFL (solely off this ability).

Top Bottom