Comparing NFL and high school 40-yard dash times: A horrifying revelation

Wow. That was a good read! Tells you about all you need to know about HS 40 times.

Interesting enough, MG went from a 4.48 in HS to a 4.73 at the combine.

Stupid article. High school 40 times are probably bogus, but I would attribute much of the speed loss to the 25-50 lbs these guys are putting on.

Stupid article. High school 40 times are probably bogus, but I would attribute much of the speed loss to the 25-50 lbs these guys are putting on.

i'm gonna go with you didn't quite understand the article...

If you need a good 40-yard dash time to get a college scholarship your high school coach will help you get it.

If you need a good GPA to get a college scholarship your high school teacher will help you get it.

That's how the world works. So what else is new?

A couple of things:

Coaches lose their hearing if a highschool coach throw out a 40 yd time....nobody believes them at all.

Future college players look incredible fast running on the same field as the kids who run onto the field from the STANDS in college.

40 times at the combine matter for 1st rounders...not so much for late rounders.

i'm gonna go with you didn't quite understand the article...

Maybe. I understand that it is tongue in cheek sarcasm concluding that high school 40 times are exaggerated and I don't disagree with that. In addition, I would expect most 40 times to be slower after the players put on football weight, even with strength and conditioning. I wouldn't attrubute it all to exaggerated 40 times.

Only a matter of time until we have regional HS combines? Do we have them already?

Using a 40 time for a Offensive Lineman, what does it prove? He can run 40 yards? Give me an offensive lineman who is quick in the 10 yard, shuttle, and is quick in pass protection. What's his vertical, standing broad jump. Can he bench 225, 35 times? And there is one additional measure, how does he measure up on the nasty meter.

I love conspiracy theories lol. I'm curious, does anyone know if there is a standard on how the electric 40 times are done? In high school most of our team went to the Nebraska Corncob camp (our coach was a huge husker fan) and we ran electric 40's. when we cleared the laser is when our time stopped. Way different than how a few other camps were, the others had time stop when you hit the line. May not seem like much difference but it all adds up

And there is one additional measure, how does he measure up on the nasty meter.

Agree, give me an offensive lineman who can get called for a PF on consecutive plays for burying his guy after the whistle. Never mind - we've got one!!

It's not stupid to observe that some players lose a step or two with added weight.

Maroney was fastest as a frosh.

I actually think his weight gain hurt him.

Some players play better thin. Why should Matt Spaeth have put on 20 more pounds?

Has anyone considered that players are "hand timed" in high school and "electronically timed" at the NFL combine. Typically, hand times are about 1 tenth quicker than electronic times. I'm sure someone will bash me for this, but the fact is that hand times are not all that accurate or consistent.
Also, are these players all playing the same position in the NFL as in high school? Some of these players have moved from WR to TE or LB to DE, added some weight and became men.

Has anyone considered that players are "hand timed" in high school and "electronically timed" at the NFL combine. Typically, hand times are about 1 tenth quicker than electronic times. I'm sure someone will bash me for this, but the fact is that hand times are not all that accurate or consistent.

There are a lot of blazing "electronic" 40 times posted from HS Under Armour combines, etc. so hand timing doesn't explain all of the "grade inflation."

Edit: So I was unaware that the NFL combine 40 is hand timed. What?

Check this out. www.footballpower.net It explains the 40 yd electronic timing

I love conspiracy theories lol. I'm curious, does anyone know if there is a standard on how the electric 40 times are done? In high school most of our team went to the Nebraska Corncob camp (our coach was a huge husker fan) and we ran electric 40's. when we cleared the laser is when our time stopped. Way different than how a few other camps were, the others had time stop when you hit the line. May not seem like much difference but it all adds up

It's not stupid to observe that some players lose a step or two with added weight.

Maroney was fastest as a frosh.

I actually think his weight gain hurt him.

Some players play better thin. Why should Matt Spaeth have put on 20 more pounds?

I think Matt Spaeth's NFL career was based on that added 20 lbs. He was never going to be a Kyle Rudolph type of freak athlete receiving the ball (he's a very solid receiver), so he needed to be a great blocker. Spaeth is like Kleinsasser, that added weight allowed him to block an NFL DE straight up. There are some players who might not need the extra weight, but that extra weight is probably the main reason Spaeth has had a nice NFL career.

Agree, give me an offensive lineman who can get called for a PF on consecutive plays for burying his guy after the whistle. Never mind - we've got one!!

Yep, he's the best one on the team too. Big deal, I'll take Epping with 2 PF per year over most OL and all of them that have come through the U the last few years.

Using a 40 time for a Offensive Lineman, what does it prove? He can run 40 yards? Give me an offensive lineman who is quick in the 10 yard, shuttle, and is quick in pass protection. What's his vertical, standing broad jump. Can he bench 225, 35 times? And there is one additional measure, how does he measure up on the nasty meter.

I heard an interesting discussion about OL and the 40 time. Oddly enough, the best OT did break the 5.00 at the combine and the theory isn't that the 40 time is important, it's that these are generally more athletic guys. Some of the guys who really struggle with the 40, it's a bad sign because they question their conditioning, diet, etc. It was on the NFL network, but a guy like Matt Kahlil, you don't have to worry about him eating himself out of the league. Whereas a guy like Bryant McKinnie...well, it could be an issue (he's had a nice career).

The godfather of football strength and conditioning, Boyd Epley agrees with you. He said that 40's are worthless for lineman and the 10 yard is much more important as a measure of explosiveness.

The godfather of football strength and conditioning, Boyd Epley agrees with you. He said that 40's are worthless for lineman and the 10 yard is much more important as a measure of explosiveness.

Mike Mayock made that point about 5 times as I layed in bed hungover on Saturday Morning.

One Husker football sycophant "+1"ing another Husker football sycophant by praising a former Husker football employee. On the GopherHole. Gotta love it.

There is no speed loss with increased weight over the course of a college career. These guys go through such a conditioning program that their strength-to-weight ratio increases dramatically even as they are putting on weight, and - they get faster. Strength is a major contributor to speed. Also, a lot of the kids continue to grow, their legs get longer, and - they get faster. The high school 40 times are pure BS, plain and simple. My wifes uncle was a major college recruiter for 22 years (Air Force) and he told me this years ago. I don't believe there is a youngster around who can run a legit 4.5 second 40. The fastest ones can run a 4.6, but that in no way should be considered slow - indeed it is fast

lol @ the weight gain argument. college sprint times dominate high school sprint times, yes? are those guys losing weight after they start college? of course not. high school 40 times are mostly BS, we all know this.

Top Bottom