Commish takes up "one and done"

Reaction score
Newly appointed NCAA president Mark Emmert did not waste much time in voicing his concerns about the one-and-done rule and said in an interview with USA Today that he intends to address the matter.

"I think it creates difficult problems inside universities when we're trying to promote an emphasis on (players being) students as well as athletes," he said Wednesday. "It certainly creates a challenge for individual programs."

At some point, he said, he'll take up the issue with (David) Stern, the NBA's commissioner, just as the late Myles Brand did during his tenure as NCAA president. "I have not obviously talked with the heads of any of the professional sports," said Emmert, president of the University of Washington since 2004 and chancellor at LSU for five years before that. "But the impact of their policies and rules on intercollegiate sports is significant, and I intend to build relationships with those people to see how we can work together to mutual advantage if we can do that. The one-and-done rule would just be another example of things we could work on."

Emmert added that he would speak with Secretary of Education Arne Duncan, who in January called the idea that one-and-done players are true student-athletes "intellectually dishonest" and "a farce."

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/11085/emmert-to-take-on-one-and-done-rule

Newly appointed NCAA president Mark Emmert did not waste much time in voicing his concerns about the one-and-done rule and said in an interview with USA Today that he intends to address the matter.

"I think it creates difficult problems inside universities when we're trying to promote an emphasis on (players being) students as well as athletes," he said Wednesday. "It certainly creates a challenge for individual programs."

At some point, he said, he'll take up the issue with (David) Stern, the NBA's commissioner, just as the late Myles Brand did during his tenure as NCAA president. "I have not obviously talked with the heads of any of the professional sports," said Emmert, president of the University of Washington since 2004 and chancellor at LSU for five years before that. "But the impact of their policies and rules on intercollegiate sports is significant, and I intend to build relationships with those people to see how we can work together to mutual advantage if we can do that. The one-and-done rule would just be another example of things we could work on."

Emmert added that he would speak with Secretary of Education Arne Duncan, who in January called the idea that one-and-done players are true student-athletes "intellectually dishonest" and "a farce."

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/11085/emmert-to-take-on-one-and-done-rule

Duncan played basketball at Harvard but Ivy league doesn't grant athletic scholarships so I presume he received grant-in-aid or academic scholarship.

What is the percentage of athletes that drop out of school after one year vs. non-athletes?

What is the percentage of athletes that drop out of school after one year vs. non-athletes?

Based on my experience in early 1970's, I'd GUESS as many as 1/3 of college freshmen either drop out or flunk out. Fewer than 1/2 of college freshmen wind up graduating from college.

Duncan played basketball at Harvard but Ivy league doesn't grant athletic scholarships so I presume he received grant-in-aid or academic scholarship.

Ivy league doesn't do academic scholarships either, all aid is need based.

I dont really have a problem with the one and done player... I think it alright for teams to occasionally have players that so elite that they are prepared to play in the NBA. One year getting to watch them in college basketball is better than none.

My issue is that we are starting to see teams recruit just one and done players with whole teams leaving or transferring after every year. That is not good for the college game and something needs to be done. If it requires making it a two year commitment so be it.

My thoughts would be something along the line of keeping the NBA age limit as is. But switching the way college scholarships are awarded. Instead of scholarships being awarded on a yearly basis make all scholarships be minimum 3/4 year commitments for the school with it being lowered to two years if the student leaves early but in good academic standing.

Example:
Player A is awarded a scholarship at the University. If player A leaves after 1 year (for whatever reason) and doesnt finish minimum credits for year one his scholarship will count against the 13 scholarships for the next two years. If he leaves in good academic standing his scholarship is counted only for one more year.

Reason:
-This still allows the one and done player
-Will force college coaches to put an emphasis on keeping players in the classroom even if they are going to leave
-Will severly hinder schools that go through players because of transfers, one and dones, etc
- Limiting scholarships of some programs will award real student athletes and provided competitive balance

Top Bottom