Combine

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
Can't seem to find any information on this, does anyone know what group Gray is working with at the combine? He's listed as a QB but I've got to believe he'll be working with the TE or WR. TE's go today.

Only thing I can really find. Looks like he's working out tomorrow, which I believe would mean he's either working out as QB or WR, not TE.
@BenGoesslingPP
"A #Gophers note from the combine: MarQueis Gray measured 6-foot-3, 240 lbs; had 34-inch arm length and 9 7/8-inch hand size. Works out tmrw."

If that's the case, then he's working out with the QB's.

That info may have been incorrect:

@GophersNow
"Check out former #Gophers QB MarQueis Gray on NFL Network doing combine drills with the tight ends."

Here is Q's NFL.com profile.

He's rated at a 53...which in "Rivals/Scout" speak is a 2-Star. It says he's draftable in the late rounds. The cutoff for Undrafted Free Agent is a rating of 49 or below. As a frame of reference, the top rated guy is Alabama's OG Chance Warmack (beast) at a 95.9

I think he goes in the 7th round to the Raiders! Q's Dreads + Oak Town's Black Hole = Priceless

Gray unofficially with a 4.69. Not bad at all for a QB of his size, but I expected a little faster for some reason

He's actually looks pretty good throwing the ball. Compared to the other QB's throwing (namely Landry Jones and Mike Glennon) he looks like an Adonis physically and his mechanics are no where near as broken as Collin Klein

I was out in downtown Indy last night and there were scouts and executives all over. Was able to meet the chiropractors from the Dolphins and Raiders. Jerry Jones million dollar bus was parked outside a restaurant taking up a lane of traffic.

I'd agree with others that Gray did look pretty good throwing the ball this morning.

4.69 would have put him top 5 for speed at the TE position as well. He is one of those guys that has the chance to drastically increase his stock with a strong performance at the combine and he seems to be off to really good start so far.

If he puts on more weight...a 4.6 or even with more weight a 4.8 TE would be impressive!!

Two words.........Jim Jensen.

With the NFL placing a premium on young players locked into low paying contracts for 4 years and players who can play multiple positions Gray could be a gold mine for some GM.

Two words.........Jim Jensen.

With the NFL placing a premium on young players locked into low paying contracts for 4 years and players who can play multiple positions Gray could be a gold mine for some GM.

Hmm. Good point SF24. I never really thought about that factor of it. He could definitely have an easier path to being drafted with that in mind! I do think he gets drafted mid-to-late. Probably more likely late.

If you group Gray in with the TE group, he would have finished as follows.

40 yd dash - 4.73 - ranked 8th
225 Bench - 15 reps - ranked 15th
Vert jump - 30 inches - ranked 15th
Broad jump - 9'3"- ranked 13th
3 cone drill - 7.25 - ranked 12th
20 yd shuttle - 4.3 - ranked 2nd
60 yd shuttle - no score

Can't seem to find any information on this, does anyone know what group Gray is working with at the combine? He's listed as a QB but I've got to believe he'll be working with the TE or WR. TE's go today.

From his tweets, sounds like he is still battling the ankle injury. Hopes to be in the 4.5 range at his pro day.

ESPN: Weekend combine results for B1G players

Quarterbacks

Iowa's James Vandenberg was third among quarterbacks in the vertical jump at 32 inches, second in the three-cone drill, fourth in the broad jump at 116 inches, seventh with a 4.92 in the 40-yard dash, and tied for 10th in the 20-yard shuttle.

Minnesota's MarQueis Gray was fourth with a 4.73-second 40-yard dash, seventh in vertical jump at 30 inches, tied for in the ninth broad jump (111 inches ), 10th in three-cone drill and tied for fourth in the 20-yard shuttle.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/72009/weekend-combine-results-for-b1g-players

Go Gophers!!

Gray sure doesn't appear to have done himself too many favors at the combine. I hope he continues to improve and has a better pro day.

Gray sure doesn't appear to have done himself too many favors at the combine. I hope he continues to improve and has a better pro day.

You should read the thread about the Strib article. Apparently he was impressive in throwing drills.

For being a super freak athlete I thought he would have done better compared to the other qbs in his drills. He may have had a good throwing drill but without any defenders coming at him. All scouts have to do is watch his game film of missing wide open receivers and taking off running too early. I hope he has a good showing at his pro day to improve his stock.

For being a super freak athlete I thought he would have done better compared to the other qbs in his drills. He may have had a good throwing drill but without any defenders coming at him. All scouts have to do is watch his game film of missing wide open receivers and taking off running too early. I hope he has a good showing at his pro day to improve his stock.

Super freak athlete? He was never that. He was never explosive, he was never elusive. Those superlatives were used in hopes that he would be a great gopher QB in place of accurate passer, field general and instinctive.

That's why it is so frustrating when you hear people equate timed speed and measured strength with being great football players. Super Wisconsin RB Montee Ball ran a very pedestrian Emmett Smith 4'65 (see where I'm going with that), mean while former gopher j. Bennet ran faster. I'm not saying he's better but I will say its makes quite the difference when you can consistently get to the 2nd level of the
defense before encountering a defender...you know, have room to show case your abilities as a RB.

Amongst the players the inside joke was about how Gray was the best gopher football player or athlete. What Gray was, is at the QB position he was imposing (coaches get suckered by imposing players at every level and sport.) He was also miscast and misused as a player. I loved Grays potential as a college football player. I think he could have ACTUALLY been everything folks claimed he was, just at another position....which is not his fault.

At a more successful program they have the flexibility and depth to find the best position for a player and the time to develop him. This is good for both the program and the player. Another key element is they have coaching continuity, as in coaches don't waste years figuring out what the previous coaches wasted years figuring out....Gray wasn't a QB. I would be remiss if I didn't assign some of the blame to Brew. While they did figure it out and never intended for him to play QB after Weber graduated, lack of continuity (I love that word) in offensive staff and scheme wrecked whatever chance this kid had as a college QB.

With that being said, a imaginative and established coach (you guessed it...continuity in the program), would jump at a chance for a undeveloped college football player with NFL potential.

Super freak athlete? He was never that. He was never explosive, he was never elusive. Those superlatives were used in hopes that he would be a great gopher QB in place of accurate passer, field general and instinctive.

That's why it is so frustrating when you hear people equate timed speed and measured strength with being great football players. Super Wisconsin RB Montee Ball ran a very pedestrian Emmett Smith 4'65 (see where I'm going with that), mean while former gopher j. Bennet ran faster. I'm not saying he's better but I will say its makes quite the difference when you can consistently get to the 2nd level of the
defense before encountering a defender...you know, have room to show case your abilities as a RB.

Amongst the players the inside joke was about how Gray was the best gopher football player or athlete. What Gray was, is at the QB position he was imposing (coaches get suckered by imposing players at every level and sport.) He was also miscast and misused as a player. I loved Grays potential as a college football player. I think he could have ACTUALLY been everything folks claimed he was, just at another position....which is not his fault.

At a more successful program they have the flexibility and depth to find the best position for a player and the time to develop him. This is good for both the program and the player. Another key element is they have coaching continuity, as in coaches don't waste years figuring out what the previous coaches wasted years figuring out....Gray wasn't a QB. I would be remiss if I didn't assign some of the blame to Brew. While they did figure it out and never intended for him to play QB after Weber graduated, lack of continuity (I love that word) in offensive staff and scheme wrecked whatever chance this kid had as a college QB.

With that being said, a imaginative and established coach (you guessed it...continuity in the program), would jump at a chance for a undeveloped college football player with NFL potential.

Generally don't agree with your takes but this is spot on. Continuity is huge, and Kill and his staff have that in bundles.

ESPN Q&A:

Craig from Braintree, Mass., writes: You don't make the decisions for the NFL but any ideas why they didn't invite Michael Carter of the Gophers to the NFL combine? How do you think Coach Kill feels about that?

Brian Bennett: If I were making decisions for the NFL, we'd see a lot of changes, starting with allowing some occasional fun to seep into the game. But I digress. I'm not sure why Carter was snubbed, though it feels like an egregious omission given the way he played in 2012. I'm sure he will get his chance in the pros, especially as the league looks for guys who can cover in this golden age of passing offenses. Without a combine showing, Carter will have more pressure on him to perform well during Minnesota's pro day on March 4.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/72052/big-ten-monday-mailbag-3

Go Gophers!!

Cant wait for March 4th. The last few years all of the Minnesota players all seemed to improve there value quite a bit at the pro day. Granted, that did not mean any of them got drafted, but it maybe got them some more NFL looks.

Top Bottom