Column on Tubby: Legend's visit shows strength of 49ers; says we offered Welch

oh good. he was one of the top 5 players in northern california juco ranks. thats like beating western upper middle tennessee state tech. thank god. he could probably score 3 ppg, and give us 6 quality minutes as a junior. Whats more? not many three pointers made! lord knows we need another undersized shooting gaurd who cant shoot.

oh good. he was one of the top 5 players in northern california juco ranks. thats like beating western upper middle tennessee state tech. thank god. he could probably score 3 ppg, and give us 6 quality minutes as a junior. Whats more? not many three pointers made! lord knows we need another undersized shooting gaurd who cant shoot.

I said this in another post, but I'd be absolutely thrilled if we get Welch and he gives us what Cartwright has given Iowa as a JUCO player. The reason I bring up Cartwright is that his story is similar to Welch's. Cartwright averaged 4.9 pts/game at Fresno St his freshman year, transfered to a Cali JUCO where he averaged 9 pts/game last year. He is now giving Iowa 11.3-points/game and 6.7-assists/game. If we get 11pts/7assts from him (or any PG) next year and Trevor returns, we'll be in the thick of the Big Ten title chase.

You would likely have been very unexcited about a guy like Cartwright, too. But, he is good. Welch probably will be, too. He's older (probably 20 yrs old right now) and experienced. My hunch is if he waits, he will likely get more offers.

Bottom line is this kid scores 21 pts per night, can drive, create, get to the line, etc. He might be just what the doctor ordered.

What an idiot.

Calif has a very good level of competition in JuCo ranks.

Unbelievable.

He is 6'3", not an undersized shooting guard.
Nobody including maverick thought he would have to play this year, he has actully surpassed my expectations. The point about Eric harris was very good, nobody could have looked at him as a freshman and thought he could play point on a Final four team, but I will always think his separated shoulder cost us a chance in the Final four. He was the glue and the defensive leader on that team.

Why exactly are you panicking? And how are you determining how many points he will average if we even sign him?

By the way I don't think he's a player that other teams are going to just dare to shoot. He averaged roughly 1 three pointer per game as a freshman and I doubt he's gotten worse since then. While that 1 three pointer per game might not impress you it's at least good enough where teams won't be able to pack it in the paint against us. They'll have to respect him and Andre from deep and hopefully Austin will improve his consistency and who knows about Oto.

Top Bottom