Colorado trolls Minnesota's lack of depth chart with vintage depth chart reveal

As a man in his sixties, I am shown once again that I don't understand the ways of the kids these days. For example, the concept of trolling baffles me.

Is this attempt to highlight the fact that the Colorado football program used to be good (50 years ago, no less!) somehow supposed to represent a burn on Fleck and the current Gopher program?

They lost me on this one. I'm scratching my old, gray head.
Yes, but what else they got.

It is funny. However,a s a 62-year old, I am not quite sure if I understand the definition of "trolling". Seemd kind of whimiscal to me. I expect there are very few Colorado Buffalo fans looking forward to this game. "Can we hold Minnesota to under 40? Under 50?"

I think this is a misuse of the word troll IMO, this is more just poking fun at us which is not the same thing.

Yes, it was great. I agree.

That one irritated all the right people. It was especially delightful (to me, at least) because the Twin Cities sports talk radio types got all huffy about it, too. That made me laugh.

But the Colorado thing just doesn't make sense. Pointing out that the Buffs were good 50 years ago doesn't really stick any barbs in the 2022 Gopher football program... at least not that I can see.

Well, to be fair - most colleges do put out some kind of a depth chart before games as an aid to the media. The Gophers do not release any type of depth chart. Ryan Burns posts an unofficial depth chart (I believe) on Gopher Illustrated.

So Colorado is pointing out, in a semi-humorous fashion, that the Gophers don't put out a depth chart.

hey - anyone who has watched the Gophers play - which Colorado most assuredly has - knows who is playing for the Gophers.

but I had to admit this is at least mildly clever.

Thanks for trying to explain it to an old geezer. I still don't get the joke, or even see how it's supposedly fun or funny, but I'm glad it made you laugh.
Holy **** boomer, stop making us boomers look bad.

It would indeed be similar — if someone attached to the Gophers used our 7 National Titles specifically to troll an upcoming opponent — especially if said opponent was a four touchdown favorite.

Has that actually happened?

Does anybody believe that this forum is called "7 National Titles Football Forum" for trolling purposes?
I have seen people respond to Wisconsin with reminded that UMN has 7 national championships to their none as a means of response to getting a beat down for nearly a decade plus. So, yes, it's been done.

I wonder if in the day of the transfer portal, if it makes more sense not to publish depth charts. I think Fleck is on the right trail by not publishing one. Anyone can look at the previous week and see who started, and if there is a question related to injury - well - that is closely guarded info these days already. So, that leaves discipline issues or guys beating other guys out for playing time as the other reasons for changes to the depth chart and why publicize that?
I hadn't considered that. good point.

I have seen people respond to Wisconsin with reminded that UMN has 7 national championships to their none as a means of response to getting a beat down for nearly a decade plus. So, yes, it's been done.

You're right. That would be using our 7 national titles for trolling purposes.

It's okay, we'll troll them tomorrow by another 30-0 win.

Top Bottom