Colorado trolls Minnesota's lack of depth chart with vintage depth chart reveal

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Michael:

Colorado noticed Minnesota’s lack of a depth chart and decided to troll the Golden Gophers with a depth chart from 1972.

The depth chart came from Minnesota and Colorado’s first meeting in September 1972. The depth chart that Colorado released featured 16 players from that team who went on to have NFL careers.

Colorado essentially did not release a legitimate depth chart and highlighted Minnesota not releasing one. This was not the first time Colorado did this, as the Buffaloes have trolled other opponents in the past.

In the all-time series, Colorado leads Minnesota, 3-1. The first 3 wins for Colorado came in 1972, 1991, and 1992. These 2 teams played last season after a 29-year break and Minnesota blanked Colorado, 30-0. Last season’s win happened in Boulder, Colorado, which made the win even more impressive for Minnesota.

Colorado enters this game with an 0-2 record through 2 games. Colorado lost to TCU in Week 1 and Air Force in Week 2. The Buffaloes lost to Air Force by 31 points, 41-10, on Saturday. Both losses were by at least 25 points.

On the other hand, Minnesota started the season off with 2 wins over New Mexico State and Western Illinois. The most recent win over Western Illinois was a 62-10 win for the Golden Gophers.

Saturday’s meeting between Minnesota and Colorado will take place in Minneapolis at 3:30 p.m. ET.

Go Gophers!!

The Colorado Bisons coaches back then were probably a lot better than what they have now. No wonder they look to the past (just not last year, though).

As a man in his sixties, I am shown once again that I don't understand the ways of the kids these days. For example, the concept of trolling baffles me.

Is this attempt to highlight the fact that the Colorado football program used to be good (50 years ago, no less!) somehow supposed to represent a burn on Fleck and the current Gopher program?

They lost me on this one. I'm scratching my old, gray head.

As a man in his sixties, I am shown once again that I don't understand the ways of the kids these days. For example, the concept of trolling baffles me.

Is this attempt to highlight the fact that the Colorado football program used to be good (50 years ago, no less!) somehow supposed to represent a burn on Fleck and the current Gopher program?

I think it is just silly to be silly.

"Hey let's just put out an old depth chart! But what chart?"

"How about his old one?"

"Do it!"

Take a look at the top 20 list in the lower right corner. it's interesting to see the handful of programs that have fallen off the cliff.

These guys are in their late 60's and 70's now! It'll be a bigger blood bath than I first thought! Definitely taking the over on the PS now!!!!!

Murray, certainly you can understand and appreciate the trolling the Gophers did after the Wisky game last year, right? that was as good as it gets.

Everyone knows Minnesota starters/2 deeps but Colorado won’t name a starting qb.

Murray, certainly you can understand and appreciate the trolling the Gophers did after the Wisky game last year, right? that was as good as it gets.

Yes, it was great. I agree.

That one irritated all the right people. It was especially delightful (to me, at least) because the Twin Cities sports talk radio types got all huffy about it, too. That made me laugh.

But the Colorado thing just doesn't make sense. Pointing out that the Buffs were good 50 years ago doesn't really stick any barbs in the 2022 Gopher football program... at least not that I can see.

That one irritated all the right people. It was especially delightful (to me, at least) because the Twin Cities sports talk radio types got all huffy about it, too. That made me laugh.

But the Colorado thing just doesn't make sense. Pointing out that the Buffs were good 50 years ago doesn't really stick any barbs in the 2022 Gopher football program... at least not that I can see.
It's because they are not good at trolling.

I wonder if in the day of the transfer portal, if it makes more sense not to publish depth charts. I think Fleck is on the right trail by not publishing one. Anyone can look at the previous week and see who started, and if there is a question related to injury - well - that is closely guarded info these days already. So, that leaves discipline issues or guys beating other guys out for playing time as the other reasons for changes to the depth chart and why publicize that?

I wouldn't even call this trolling. "Trolling" implies that you're trying to get under the target's skin. This just looks like a little frivolity.

Maybe it isn't really trolling. However, trolling is specifically mentioned in the thread title, and in this quote from the link:

"Colorado noticed Minnesota’s lack of a depth chart and decided to troll the Golden Gophers with a depth chart from 1972."

Isn't it similar to pointing out that the Gophers have 7 national championships, with most happening before WW2?
Gopher fans, if anyone, can relate to living in the past, cause the present was so awful.
We are finally respectable, but one head coaching change and we could be Tim Brewster 2.0. Just sayin...

Using the official colors...should this be the logo for the game going forward?

View attachment 20443
true-kobe-bryant.gif

Maybe it isn't really trolling. However, trolling is specifically mentioned in the thread title, and in this quote from the link:

"Colorado noticed Minnesota’s lack of a depth chart and decided to troll the Golden Gophers with a depth chart from 1972."

Yes, I noticed that and that is a clear indication that the word is overused.

Isn't it similar to pointing out that the Gophers have 7 national championships, with most happening before WW2?
Gopher fans, if anyone, can relate to living in the past, cause the present was so awful.
We are finally respectable, but one head coaching change and we could be Tim Brewster 2.0. Just sayin...

It would indeed be similar — if someone attached to the Gophers used our 7 National Titles specifically to troll an upcoming opponent — especially if said opponent was a four touchdown favorite.

Has that actually happened?

Does anybody believe that this forum is called "7 National Titles Football Forum" for trolling purposes?

Last edited:

Yeah I think in this case Trolling was the wrong choice of word for what this was. Trolling is stuff like what Iowa fans did with the Cameo messages or the aforementioned awesome moment after the Wisconsin game when Jump Around was played.

This has no real negative impact on us so it isn't really trolling, at least as I see Trolling.

From urban dictionary. Makes sense. Trolling in the sense of the internet is something that you wont find on merrian webster….yet

Trolling – (verb), as it relates to internet, is the deliberate act, (by a Troll – noun or adjective), of making random unsolicited and/or controversial comments on various internet forums with the intent to provoke an emotional knee jerk reaction from unsuspecting readers to engage in a fight or argument

They aren't pointing anything out...they are poking fun at the fact that the Gophers didn't put out a depth chart. Since we didn't, they didn't instead opting to just put out an old one from a game between the teams years ago as a goof.

It isn't trolling in the sense of "this will tick them off" it is more in the vein "lets do this for a laugh". It isn't mean spirited like most trolling it is just a practical joke.

They aren't pointing anything out...they are poking fun at the fact that the Gophers didn't put out a depth chart. Since we didn't, they didn't instead opting to just put out an old one from a game between the teams years ago as a goof.

It isn't trolling in the sense of "this will tick them off" it is more in the vein "lets do this for a laugh". It isn't mean spirited like most trolling it is just a practical joke.
Well said. Trolling definitely has a negative intent. Whereas there is no negativity here just having some fun.

Thanks for trying to explain it to an old geezer. I still don't get the joke, or even see how it's supposedly fun or funny, but I'm glad it made you laugh.

I wouldn't even call this trolling. "Trolling" implies that you're trying to get under the target's skin. This just looks like a little frivolity.
Agreed.

Just some absurdity for fun or being silly generally.

The whole depth chart world is silly now. May as well enjoy it.

Thanks for trying to explain it to an old geezer. I still don't get the joke, or even see how it's supposedly fun or funny, but I'm glad it made you laugh.

It didn't make me laugh, I did find it kind of clever though because it is different. Its a fun back and forth between schools that have no real history between them about a game that likely isn't going to be fun to watch.

Its like when the social media accounts for teams or leagues have fun with each other on twitter. It is fun because it isn't the normal BS cliches and coach speak. Like when Goldy and Faux Pellini go at it or when Fake Don Lucia/Fake Bob Motzko say random things or go on rants after wins and losses. Its a way to remember not to take all this stuff too seriously.

It's not "ha-ha" funny. It's just sort of frivolous or whimsical, qualities that rarely evoke a true laugh.

It's a tongue in cheek fun shot at Fleck since he doesn't put out depth charts. I'm sure he got a laugh out of it himself.

Top Bottom