College Sports Top 50 Donors According to USA Todayđź’°(48. Minnesota)

I don't see Stanford on the list at all? Lotta people were saying Colorado was woefully inadequate in the donor area....could be true but Minnesota slots behind them.
Another $200 million gets us up there with Wisconsin and Illinois but add $300 million to get to Iowa. That's some big dollar difference.

Details matter. I’m surprised by some who are high on the list and some who are lower, but I don’t know the details of what makes up the donations. I’m guessing some of them are directly related to fairly recent capital campaigns for facilities, which can skew giving numbers substantially.

I don't see Stanford on the list at all? Lotta people were saying Colorado was woefully inadequate in the donor area....could be true but Minnesota slots behind them.
Another $200 million gets us up there with Wisconsin and Illinois but add $300 million to get to Iowa. That's some big dollar difference.
I think these are public institutions only. I was looking for Notre Dame and USC but they aren't on here either.

There's definitely a correlation between football performance and donor spending. Which makes me wonder - does winning make people want to donate, or do donations make you win?

Western Michigan got a $550 million dollar donation and Saint Thomas $75 $550 million. 🤯

Last edited:

I didn't see UST.

University of St. Thomas Athletics: $75 Million

Date: Jan. 17, 2023

Donors: Lee and Penny Anderson

According to St. Thomas, the donation announced in January is one of the largest college athletics donations in U.S. history. The donation will create a new arena for hockey, basketball, and community events and is set to break ground in 2024. St. Thomas went from a Division III school directly to Division I sports competition in 2021.

"For the first time ever, Minnesotans have a private university option for D-I caliber education and athletics, and we're proud to be part of making this vision a reality for young people in Minnesota and beyond," said Lee Anderson.

According to St. Thomas, the donation announced in January is one of the largest college athletics donations in U.S. history. The donation will create a new arena for hockey, basketball, and community events and is set to break ground in 2024. St. Thomas went from a Division III school directly to Division I sports competition in 2021.

"For the first time ever, Minnesotans have a private university option for D-I caliber education and athletics, and we're proud to be part of making this vision a reality for young people in Minnesota and beyond," said Lee Anderson.
Awesome but I didn't see them on the top 50 list.

For the first time there is a safe D1 school in the twin cities. -John Whiteguy

Here's the plan guys;
  • I will start a business making doorstops and you all buy from me.
  • Then tell your friends to buy my doorstops, and have them tell all of their friends.
  • I'll give you guys a cut for telling your friends and you can buy season tix
  • Pretty soon I will be rich and then I will donate money to Gophers
  • Gophers will have 15 5-stars per recruiting class
  • We'll all get together at the national championship game and sell more doorstops to rich bandwagon guys
Ladies and gentlemen your 2025 National Champions the Minnesota Ponzies Gophers

Top Bottom