College Football Playoff Rankings

Neither IA, WI or MN play anyone that would significantly change their ranking unless they beat the winner of the West in Indianapolis.
The tOSU games against MI and MSU have far more significance than in the past.
It ain't over until the fat lady sings, so many games next few weeks will be fun to watch.
I hope GA trashes AL so it will be fun to see ESPN and the SEC twist themselves into pretzels to get AL in the final four despite two losses.

Perhaps, but if Bama beats Georgia it’s a mess of how much the committee values the SEC.

The problem I have with it right now is that Bama has the worst loss of the top 6, and a mediocre best win.

That's how it's always been though. Alabama was going to make it into the playoffs if they beat Georgia in the championship regardless. And the way that Georgia is just trashing teams....it would be hard to say they would be out with an SEC championship loss....being their first.

Neither IA, WI or MN play anyone that would significantly change their ranking unless they beat the winner of the West in Indianapolis.
The tOSU games against MI and MSU have far more significance than in the past.
It ain't over until the fat lady sings, so many games next few weeks will be fun to watch.
I hope GA trashes AL so it will be fun to see ESPN and the SEC twist themselves into pretzels to get AL in the final four despite two losses.

What is significant? None are likely to move into the top 10 prior to the championship game.....against the winner of the EAST. But any of those teams that win out would play themselves into a NYD bowl.....no question.

Yes, Bama has to win out to make the CFP - which would include wins over Auburn and Georgia (and a 3-pt loss to an also ranked A&M team). If that is how it plays out, extremely hard to argue with them making it.

The bigger travesty would be Oregon making it with (potentially depending what happens with Fresno) one win over a ranked team.

That's how it's always been though. Alabama was going to make it into the playoffs if they beat Georgia in the championship regardless. And the way that Georgia is just trashing teams....it would be hard to say they would be out with an SEC championship loss....being their first.
I know the games will play out and teams will separate, but right now Bama’s ranking is undeserved. Question, if Bama hadn’t lost to an unranked team, would their CFP ranking be any different?

The nice thing about the way the top four is set up right now....things should take care of themselves. If Alabama loses to Georgia in the SEC Championship....they are out. OSU can play themselves in by knocking MSU out (they will).
I dunno, I think Alabama could lose to Auburn AND Georgia and STILL get in. Call me crazy, but with this incompetent playoff committee, anything could happen.

I know the games will play out and teams will separate, but right now Bama’s ranking is undeserved. Question, if Bama hadn’t lost to an unranked team, would their CFP ranking be any different?

Nah, I get it. Yes, it is undeserved and SEC bias no doubt. We'll see how it plays out though.

I dunno, I think Alabama could lose to Auburn AND Georgia and STILL get in. Call me crazy, but with this incompetent playoff committee, anything could happen.

That wouldn't happen. Even if Alabama simply lost the championship game.....the committee would have to do a lot of explaining to keep them in over an undefeated ACC or Big 12 team. Even a one loss power five team would have gripes. Then of course you'd have Cincy and ND.

I don't think it will come to that. I think there would be a revolt from every conference other than the SEC if they attempted to shoehorn Alabama in with two losses if there were undefeated or one loss champions behind them.

I'm not saying we have a shot at the CFP, but it would be a fun and chaotic to win the next 5 games and see what the committee would say.

So let me get this right the CFP rankings are going to rank a 6-2 Gopher team with no substantial victories over anyone and a BG loss at #16 or around there. When in 2019 we were 10-2 with a win against #8 Penn State they didn't rank us that high.

The NCAA and the wonks who run the show over there will not do the Gophers any favors and I doubt they will now. Do I think we should be ranked - YES. Do I think we could win the rest of our games - YES. Will we get respect from the NCAA - NO. NCAA and there rankings are just as much about money (They exchanged RTB for RIC (Rake In the Cash)) as they are about football.
So you know the NCAA isn’t involved, right?

I'm not saying we have a shot at the CFP, but it would be a fun and chaotic to win the next 5 games and see what the committee would say.

Two loss team? It's never happened....has it? There's just zero chance. Winning out would almost definitely net us a NY6 bowl though.

Yes, Indeed.

Especially if they were one-sided wins.
I’d rather go to the Rose Bowl as #5, with a legit shot to win it, than be all but guaranteed as loss against the top seed as #4 in the friggin Cotton Bowl.

Two loss team? It's never happened....has it? There's just zero chance. Winning out would almost definitely net us a NY6 bowl though.
It has never happened and would never happen unless they are bound to take a two loss team by the situation.
two loss big ten champ goes over - two loss big ten non champ
Two loss pac 12 champ.
one loss AAC champ

It seems like the rankings are there to help a 2 loss Bama get into the playoff and protect the B1G east team that makes the title game. With Minnesota, Iowa, and Wisconsin all ranked 20-22 it allows the west division winner to be ranked ~10 and thus giving the B1G the safety of having a team in the playoff. If they would have dropped anyone of us from the rankings it would be hard for the west winner to be ranked higher than ~15-17

It seems like the rankings are there to help a 2 loss Bama get into the playoff and protect the B1G east team that makes the title game. With Minnesota, Iowa, and Wisconsin all ranked 20-22 it allows the west division winner to be ranked ~10 and thus giving the B1G the safety of having a team in the playoff. If they would have dropped anyone of us from the rankings it would be hard for the west winner to be ranked higher than ~15-17
It’s not all a big conspiracy
Teams 17-40 are all about the same

Focus Murr ... TOP.

Well, I'm not absolutely sure if this is what you're referring to, but... our Gophers have won by big scores recently, while dominating TOP. The two things aren't mutually exclusive.

Maryland game
Score: 34-16, Minnesota
TOP: Minnesota 37:35, Maryland 22:25

Northwestern game
Score: 41-14, Minnesota
TOP: Minnesota 40:09, Northwestern 19:51

Dominating the TOP can in fact contribute to blowout wins.

I’d rather go to the Rose Bowl as #5, with a legit shot to win it, than be all but guaranteed as loss against the top seed as #4 in the friggin Cotton Bowl.

This is a very understandable point of view.

There is something magical about going to Pasadena. To me, the Rose Bowl remains the one true, pure, grand pinnacle of college football greatness in a way that the CFP will never equal.

Sorry, college football establishment. I'm just a Big Ten guy for life.

That being said, I'd be quite happy with either a Rose Bowl or a CFP berth.

They really don't need to give the Big Ten a safety net. A Big Ten champ will go if they only have one loss on the year. So I don't see the point of ranking Minnesota, Iowa, and Wisconsin all right there just to help. I really think that nobody really knows the best of those three. Iowa's loss to Wisconsin would appear to suggest that they are the worst right now....but those turnovers really handed them the game.

I do think that Alabama's #2 ranking looks like a contingency plan for if they lose another game and a chance appears for them to shoehorn in a team to #4. I saw someone mention that it would possibly work in the situation that Alabama loses to Auburn and then beats the undisputed #1 (Georgia) in the SEC Championship.

This is a very understandable point of view.

There is something magical about going to Pasadena. To me, the Rose Bowl remains the one true, pure, grand pinnacle of college football greatness in a way that the CFP will never equal.

Sorry, college football establishment. I'm just a Big Ten guy for life.

That being said, I'd be quite happy with either a Rose Bowl or a CFP berth.
Yeah, it would be incredible to make it to the CFP. There is no denying that.

But in all likelihood would mean we get #4 seed and play #1 Georgia, and probably at the Cotton Bowl indoors, in "it's warmer than Minnesota sure, but it's not actually warm here in Jan" Dallas.

Give #5, Rose Bowl, in a likely winnable game against the PAC second place team (probably Utah), assuming Oregon wins out and goes to the CFP.

It’s not all a big conspiracy
Teams 17-40 are all about the same
I think your argument is making mine. If teams 17-40 are all the same but only 9 get the rankings, which are intregal to a conference making the playoff (i.e. ranked wins), then you should wonder why those teams.

They really don't need to give the Big Ten a safety net. A Big Ten champ will go if they only have one loss on the year. So I don't see the point of ranking Minnesota, Iowa, and Wisconsin all right there just to help. I really think that nobody really knows the best of those three. Iowa's loss to Wisconsin would appear to suggest that they are the worst right now....but those turnovers really handed them the game.

I do think that Alabama's #2 ranking looks like a contingency plan for if they lose another game and a chance appears for them to shoehorn in a team to #4. I saw someone mention that it would possibly work in the situation that Alabama loses to Auburn and then beats the undisputed #1 (Georgia) in the SEC Championship.
We'd need a safety net to get over Oklahoma or Oregon (if Georgia and Alabama) make it

Shoot, Alabama didn’t play quality teams like Bowling Green 🤷🏻‍♂️
Here's who Alabama has for nonconference: New Mexico st (1-7), Southern Mississippi (1-7), Miami (4-4) and Mercer (6-2 in FBS) so explain to me why Alabama is even in the top 5 or 6 with many dogs on its schedule.

Top Bottom