College Football Playoff committee says they have 'Reviewed' multiple expansion ideas

I think the playoff either needs to admit all undefeated teams (P5 or non P5), or P5 schools should not be allowed to count games against non P5 (or FCS for that matter) schools for their 6 to get to bowl eligibility. If a conference is so weak that winning 100% of your games does not get you into the playoff, then that conference is effectively a lower division, and those games shouldn't count. My preference is for a playoff that allows all conference champs a spot.

In addition to the above, I'd like to see all FBS teams get a bowl game. There are around 35 bowl games right now, meaning 70 get to play. There are something like 130 FBS teams, meaning in the current set up 60 do not get to play in a bowl. In helping the lower-level teams, I'd give them a bowl as well. Note this gives them that extra two to three weeks of practice. Here's how it'd be done:
  1. After the 70 bowl invites are given, you know the remaining 60 teams.
  2. Those 60 teams decide if they want to play in the "ranked bowl" or to pack it up and call it a season.
  3. For those that do, there's a lot of ways to rank them. Pick one algorithm and rank the "non-bowl selected" teams from 71 to 130.
  4. The top of the list, which is the 71st team, then plays the next highest rated team on the list that's not in their conference, and you keep going down the list till you get to the end.
  5. The two teams figure out on their own where to play (e.g., a coin flip, travel to the warmer climate, etc.) and get their choice of two weekends in which to hold the game.
Probably little TV coverage, and no pomp and circumstance, and not a big pay day from some bowl sponsor, but they get to play in a bowl game and get that extra practice which goes a ways to keeping the lower half of the teams somewhat competitive in the overall landscape.
If you want to let every team have 2 more weeks of practice, fine. But no more "bowl" games. Enough crappy ones already. And with no tv money, no site would host it. Can't see it ever happening.

I think the playoff either needs to admit all undefeated teams (P5 or non P5), or P5 schools should not be allowed to count games against non P5 (or FCS for that matter) schools for their 6 to get to bowl eligibility. If a conference is so weak that winning 100% of your games does not get you into the playoff, then that conference is effectively a lower division, and those games shouldn't count. My preference is for a playoff that allows all conference champs a spot.
I believe that your most correct point is that there needs to be objective criteria for being in at the start of the year that is achievable for Any team in the division.

the most logical playoff for me is to have 12-16 teams with auto bids for the 10 conference champs.
committee does the seeding and picks the 2-6 at larges.
first two rounds at home stadium then keep same structure once you reach the round of 4.

I would like some sort of criteria that you have to be a conference champ to be a top 8 seed but that’s a pie in the sky idea.

Could also have a backstop that a conference who has a champ with 4 losses loses its bid that year and it becomes another at large.

Even if this isn’t the way. Objective criteria is the way. Subjectively picking teams isn’t a playoff. It’s an invitational.

Yes, this is a selected case series of former players with either clinical and/oror pathological features suggestive of CTE.

I’ll ask you again, what is the incidence and prevalence of CTE amongst former amateur players? Lets limit the data set to the last 10-15 years when public knowledge of the condition was widespread and researchers were actively soliciting for post-mortem samples from players and family.

Top Bottom